Confused??? How does Amcas calculate gpas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makeithappen14

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beyond confused on how AMCAS will calculate my gpa from college. I understand that AMCAS takes all grades into the calculation. However, I was surveying the SDN website and I came across a thread about how AMCAS will calculate gpas. A lot of people were saying that our grades are averaged but what if I took Biochemistry in the Fall and received a F but retook the same course in the Spring and got an A? These are not my actual grades but this is worst case scenario. Will the grade average out to a C or B-? Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am beyond confused on how AMCAS will calculate my gpa from college. I understand that AMCAS takes all grades into the calculation. However, I was surveying the SDN website and I came across a thread about how AMCAS will calculate gpas. A lot of people were saying that our grades are averaged but what if I took Biochemistry in the Fall and received a F but retook the same course in the Spring and got an A? These are not my actual grades but this is worst case scenario. Will the grade average out to a C or B-? Help!!
Both grades will appear. So you would have an F and an A.

It would average to a C. F is a gpa of 0 and and A is a gpa of 4. C is 2.0

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only does an A and an F combine essentially into a 2.0 which is a C, the amount of credits will amount to you essentially getting two C's.

So yes, if you fail a class, best case is that it will essentially calculate into the equivalent of getting two C's when everything is added up.

Reactions: 1 user
Not only does an A and an F combine essentially into a 2.0 which is a C, the amount of credits will amount to you essentially getting two C's.

So yes, if you fail a class, best case is that it will essentially calculate into the equivalent of getting two C's when everything is added up.

Ouch... that's a good point. Moral of the story: don't fail a class

Explain how if I were to get an A and a F in the same course, they will average out to two C's

Explain how if I were to get an A and a F in the same course, they will average out to two C's

(0.0+4.0)/2 = 2

Each attempt's credits count - if it was a 3 credit course, then you have 6 credits of 2.0, equal to 2 Cs in 3 credit courses.

For one course you got 3 credit hours of 0.0 GPA
For another course (the retake) you get 3 credit hours of 4.0 GPA.

If you add them together over 6 credit hours your average GPA is 2.0. Therefore a 0.0 in one class and a 4.0 in the retake is the same GPA WISE of getting a C (2.0) is both.

(0+4)/2 = 2
(2+2)/2 = 2

EDIT didn't see someone already posted a response, whoops