Confused High School Junior

scifiguy

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I cannot seem to find anything on it. I am a high school junior ending my junior year. I will be applying to college soon. I cannot decide whether I want to go into nursing school to become a nurse or just go to medical school to become a doctor. Both careers would make me happy and I just don't know which one I would prefer. Any advice or experiences? Please help

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I cannot seem to find anything on it. I am a high school junior ending my junior year. I will be applying to college soon. I cannot decide whether I want to go into nursing school to become a nurse or just go to medical school to become a doctor. Both careers would make me happy and I just don't know which one I would prefer. Any advice or experiences? Please help
I would recommend shadowing nurses and doctors, if possible in different settings (inpatient, outpatient, etc). Read up on the careers-there are different specialties of each. Talk to nurses and doctors to learn more about their careers

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with the above comment. Shadowing the two professions is the best way to get insight as to which you prefer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
perhaps finding a school with nursing and solid Pre med program could help. I worked in the medical field prior to wanting to pursue med school. I'm in a post bacc MD program and a lot of my classmates were nurses prior to our program. To save time and money, like previously stated shadowing may be key.

I agree with shadowing both professions. You can do so much in either career. Also, there are a lot of programs out there if you decide you already get your biology/science degree but want to be a nurse instead of a doctor. Some of my friends graduated in biology and wanted to be a nurse. So they signed up for this program that makes them a nurse in a little over a year.

On the flip side, I know some nurses who got into medical school! Just make sure you take some of the extra prereqs for med school that some nursing programs don't require (i.e. organic chemistry, physics I and II, etc.). Best of luck to you!

Advice from one of the doctors I've shadowed:
"If you have to be a doctor, be a doctor. If you're interested in healthcare and helping people, be a nurse."
Grain of salt, but worth considering.

If you are unable to shadow consider thinking about what each career does. I have worked with physicians and nurses in an ER setting. Physicians are the head, the decision makers whereas nurses are the support. Nurses care for the patient, track vitals, administer medications ordered by physicians, and update the physicians so that the physicians can make a proper diagnosis and treatment plan for the patient. They are two different career paths that work together to care for a patient.

How bad do you want to be at the top?

Shadowing will give you a clear idea. If you decide after the shadowing you find yourself wanting to attend medical school, start volunteering at a hospital ASAP so you can have extraordinary longevity compared to the applicants who have no clue what they're doing.