Confused about what to do about this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HanSoloYolo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say the decision to apply depends on how good of a narrative you can craft for why you want to become a doctor, why you'd be a good one, and whether or not you're okay with the newer/less established schools. Your stats are about as low as you can reasonably get away with, but it sounds like you might have some good ECs to at least support your case for medical school. You can apply now and probably have a decent shot at the lower-tier DO schools, but if it were me, I'd probably retake the MCAT and apply early next cycle to have a shot at the better schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say the decision to apply depends on how good of a narrative you can craft for why you want to become a doctor, why you'd be a good one, and whether or not you're okay with the newer/less established schools. Your stats are about as low as you can reasonably get away with, but it sounds like you might have some good ECs to at least support your case for medical school. You can apply now and probably have a decent shot at the lower-tier DO schools, but if it were me, I'd probably retake the MCAT and apply early next cycle to have a shot at the better schools.

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the advice and I had a similar thought process. My application is actually catered to more rural/primary care medicine. My PS discusses in length about a story/experience I had volunteering heavily at an underserved/rural clinic. I'm from a small town, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to become a doctor. I don't care too much for location, and I'm even looking at a school opening up soon ICOM (Idaho) which should accept applicants for 2018 in a few months.

I'm disappointed in the MCAT score, but I'm open to all options. I wonder if being a reapplicant to these newer schools would hurt me if I don't get in this cycle? I'm planning to take 20 more credit hours of science between spring and summer of next year to bolster my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the advice and I had a similar thought process. My application is actually catered to more rural/primary care medicine. My PS discusses in length about a story/experience I had volunteering heavily at an underserved/rural clinic. I'm from a small town, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to become a doctor. I don't care too much for location, and I'm even looking at a school opening up soon ICOM (Idaho) which should accept applicants for 2018 in a few months.

I'm disappointed in the MCAT score, but I'm open to all options. I wonder if being a reapplicant to these newer schools would hurt me if I don't get in this cycle? I'm planning to take 20 more credit hours of science between spring and summer of next year to bolster my application.

Well, judging from the successes others are having, you definitely have a shot at the less-established schools. But, you're certainly no shoo-in and could very well not get in with those stats. If you do apply now, you run the risk of being a re-applicant, and then the onus is on you to go out and do a bunch of new stuff so that you can tell them how you improved your application over your previous one. Just retaking the MCAT and doing better next time is not a lot to construct an essay over when they ask you what you did to improve your app.

If you truly don't care about where you go, I would apply this year to the lower-tier schools and give it a good effort. No sense in wasting a year if you can help it. But, if you fail to get in, you'll need to retake the MCAT and involve yourself in some new EC's to stand out next year. It's a gamble, but you can feasibly do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, judging from the successes others are having, you definitely have a shot at the less-established schools. But, you're certainly no shoo-in and could very well not get in with those stats. If you do apply now, you run the risk of being a re-applicant, and then the onus is on you to go out and do a bunch of new stuff so that you can tell them how you improved your application over your previous one. Just retaking the MCAT and doing better next time is not a lot to construct an essay over when they ask you what you did to improve your app.

If you truly don't care about where you go, I would apply this year to the lower-tier schools and give it a good effort. No sense in wasting a year if you can help it. But, if you fail to get in, you'll need to retake the MCAT and involve yourself in some new EC's to stand out next year. It's a gamble, but you can feasibly do it.

Ahh all right, I understand, I appreciate the honesty and can see that it's going to be a gamble applying this year, but I'll still do it. I'm going to go ahead and send my primary along with my MCAT score. Best case scenario, I'm able to get in this year, worst case scenario, I'll still have a new MCAT score by February along with 20+ credits of A's in sciences, and a full time job as a researcher in a big hospital along with new shadowing/volunteering.

I believe you have a fair chance this cycle, especially considering the many applicants who have already garnered acceptances with below average statistics.

You also indicated a great interest in rural primary care. This is very good. If you can articulate this desire well enough, and you are fine with practicing in rural towns in Arkansas or New Mexico, I would say you have a solid chance.

Send out your application to these new D.O. schools ASAP:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
ICOM (when it opens)

You could also try:
WCUCOM
VCOM (all three)
RVUCOM-Utah
LECOM

Good luck, and I wish you the best.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on what you want to do. You could seriously hustle this cycle and have a fair chance of getting in, or put together a strong application next year so you have less stress and more choices to choose from. If you choose the latter route, I'd suggest re-taking the exam too...

I believe you have a fair chance this cycle, especially considering the many applicants who have already garnered acceptances with below average statistics.

You also indicated a great interest in rural primary care. This is very good. If you can articulate this desire well enough, and you are fine with practicing in rural towns in Arkansas or New Mexico, I would say you have a solid chance.

Send out your application to these new D.O. schools ASAP:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
UIWSOM
ICOM (when it opens)

You could also try:
WCUCOM
VCOM (all three)
RVUCOM-Utah
LECOM

Good luck, and I wish you the best.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the kind advice and I'm going to go ahead and submit the primary this week. I was a little down today after finding out my MCAT score, but there's no point in wasting time. Also thank you for the school list, I will have the secondaries at the ready when they send them to me. Cheers!

Thank you so much! I appreciate the kind advice and I'm going to go ahead and submit the primary this week. I was a little down today after finding out my MCAT score, but there's no point in wasting time. Also thank you for the school list, I will have the secondaries at the ready when they send them to me. Cheers!

In all honesty, I'd probably do the same if I were in your position. Just go in with realistic expectations and keep chugging if the outcome isn't in your favor. All the best to you!

PS- I admire your decisiveness

It depends on what you want to do. You could seriously hustle this cycle and have a fair chance of getting in, or put together a strong application next year so you have less stress and more choices to choose from. If you choose the latter route, I'd suggest re-taking the exam too...

I'm going to take the hustle route because if there's even a chance of getting in this cycle, I'm going to take it and run. I'm also going to be putting together a strong application for the future if I don't get into this cycle. 7 extra science classes, retaking the MCAT, landing a hospital job in research, and continuing volunteering and getting more healthcare experience.

And thank you for the compliment, I really appreciate the kind words and it's lighting a fire inside of me. Of course, I'm realistic about my shot this cycle, but I'm also hoping for the best and working towards the future no matter what it takes.