Concord vs. RPAH vs. North Shore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

electiveresearch2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a student looking to do some placement in Australia and have found Concord repatriation hospital, North Shore hospital and Royal Prince Alfred hospital. I also found Westmead but I know that one is definitely far away from central.

Just wondering if there were any vast differences between these? And would it be fair to say that both Concord and North Shore are far away from central Sydney (therefore with less to do unless you travel a bit first)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They're all good hospitals. It depends what you're looking for (e.g., are you on a medicine or surgical elective, is this more for fun in Sydney or Australia or do you want to work hard and see heaps of pathology).

You can go to the CBD (i.e., Central Business District, where the Opera House, the Rocks and the other touristy things are located) from any of these hospitals. But Concord is a little further away and Westmead much further out so it'd take you a lot longer, but there is a train station near Westmead and you could take the train to Central Station. Westmead is out in Parramatta which is almost a second CBD.

RPA and North Shore are among the two most well known and regarded hospitals in Sydney. RPA is one of the oldest (maybe the oldest?) hospitals in Australia. Facilities tend to be older though there's been some renovation, but you'll see among the best pathology and specialties Sydney has to offer. North Shore is also a great place to be. It's located north of the Sydney Harbour, which is in general considered more posh. RPA is located near the University of Sydney.

Concord is a smaller hospital, mainly one tall building. They're very good for BPT or physicians (IM) training. But the pathology is probably not as diverse as for example RPA. But again it depends what you are looking for and what you want to do or experience.

You could consider other hospitals in Sydney as well. St Vincent's is nice and not far from the CBD at all, just go along Oxford St. Easy to take a bus.

Last edited:
They're all good hospitals. It depends what you're looking for (e.g., are you on a medicine or surgical elective, is this more for fun in Sydney or Australia or do you want to work hard and see heaps of pathology).

You can go to the CBD (i.e., Central Business District, where the Opera House, the Rocks and the other touristy things are located) from any of these hospitals. But Concord is a little further away and Westmead much further out so it'd take you a lot longer, but there is a train station near Westmead and you could take the train to Central Station. Westmead is out in Parramatta which is almost a second CBD.

RPA and North Shore are among the two most well known and regarded hospitals in Sydney. RPA is one of the oldest (maybe the oldest?) hospitals in Australia. Facilities tend to be older though there's been some renovation, but you'll see among the best pathology and specialties Sydney has to offer. North Shore is also a great place to be. It's located north of the Sydney Harbour, which is in general considered more posh. RPA is located near the University of Sydney.

Concord is a smaller hospital, mainly one tall building. They're very good for BPT or physicians (IM) training. But the pathology is probably not as diverse as for example RPA. But again it depends what you are looking for and what you want to do or experience.

You could consider other hospitals in Sydney as well. St Vincent's is nice and not far from the CBD at all, just go along Oxford St. Easy to take a bus.

Excellent, this is very helpful! Many thanks :)

It would be for surgical elective, and I'd want a balance of a good placement but also some enjoyment and exploring.

Prince of Wales Hospital is another of the major hospitals in Sydney. Also well regarded and close to the beaches of the Eastern suburbs like Bondi and Coogee.