COMSAE vs. COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuddingPsychiatrist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my COMLEX level 1 in 4 days. Can't seem to find any good/consistent information on how to interpret/use the COMSAEs to know if I'm actually ready for the exam.
COMSAE form A 3 days ago- 581.
COMSAE form C today- 469.
COMBANK avg- 66% (I've only done about 3/4 of it so far)
Should I be worried about taking the exam in 4 days? Any other tips in general? Any help would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If, like your username implies, you are interested in Psychiatry, then the average COMLEX score for applicants who match is 526 and the average score for the unmatched applicant is 497. I'm not familiar with COMBANK because I used COMQUEST. But I would say that a Uworld average of 58% points more to needing to spend more time on topics outside of solely OMM. What did the COMSAEs identify as your weakest topics? Spend time focusing on those.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If, like your username implies, you are interested in Psychiatry, then the average COMLEX score for applicants who match is 526 and the average score for the unmatched applicant is 497. I'm not familiar with COMBANK because I used COMQUEST. But I would say that a Uworld average of 58% points more to needing to spend more time on topics outside of solely OMM. What did the COMSAEs identify as your weakest topics? Spend time focusing on those.
Thanks for that info! I am interested in Psych. My last 15 blocks of UWorld have averaged around 68%, which was significantly higher than what I had started out scoring lol. But despite the progress I'm pretty nervous.

The COMSAEs identified some really weird topics as my weak areas: my only poor performance on both COMSAEs was in Health Care Delivery Issues, which I don't really know how to study for. The only other category with poor performance was Tissue-Related Trauma. Everything else between the two was very inconsistent so the feedback wasn't very helpful. I think I could use some work on Anatomy though- it was borderline on both, as was Diagnostic Technologies.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the COMSAE's were predictive of the COMLEX. I took A, C, and E. I had differing strengths and weaknesses between each of the exams. One exam said I had poor performance in Health Care Delivery Issues while the other two said I had good performance. I scored >550 on all three but still felt that the actual COMLEX had a different feel. Just my opinion.

You can obviously read the disclaimer at the bottom of the score report. I am not impressed with a "practice" exam having a 90 pt SD, especially for one that you pay for and don't even get your wrong answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the COMSAE's were predictive of the COMLEX. I took A, C, and E. I had differing strengths and weaknesses between each of the exams. One exam said I had poor performance in Health Care Delivery Issues while the other two said I had good performance. I scored >550 on all three but still felt that the actual COMLEX had a different feel. Just my opinion.

You can obviously read the disclaimer at the bottom of the score report. I am not impressed with a "practice" exam having a 90 pt SD, especially for one that you pay for and don't even get your wrong answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember that COMLEX Level 1 has a SD of 85 points so in that regard the exams are fairly realistic. But I agree, the COMSAEs varied greatly from my actual exam score but they help direct you toward what topics are your strengths/weaknesses

COMSAE tends to vary from MOST people's actual COMLEX score. I say most because mine was actually dead-on, but the reported SD tends to be ~60-125 points which is insane lol. COMBANK is terrible, dont use it. COMQUEST is the best Q-bank on the market. I would also recommend using OMG OMT (www.OMGOMT.com) although it's new and most people don't recognize the brand yet. They have 80 practice questions and are a super focused high yield review of relevant material. My friends & I used OMG OMT to review first, then did the questions in COMQUEST and we all scored top percentile in the nation. My 2 cents

COMSAE tends to vary from MOST people's actual COMLEX score. I say most because mine was actually dead-on, but the reported SD tends to be ~60-125 points which is insane lol. COMBANK is terrible, dont use it. COMQUEST is the best Q-bank on the market. I would also recommend using OMG OMT (www.OMGOMT.com) although it's new and most people don't recognize the brand yet. They have 80 practice questions and are a super focused high yield review of relevant material. My friends & I used OMG OMT to review first, then did the questions in COMQUEST and we all scored top percentile in the nation. My 2 cents

Have an additional question about OMG-OMT. From upper class men I have heard OMM is super easy on COMLEX and our school (one of top DO schools) and to just review it all in a couple of days with saverese. Would you say OMGOMT is better than the green book and if so is it the videos or questions that you liked? Because I had reading straight out of a text book lol

Have an additional question about OMG-OMT. From upper class men I have heard OMM is super easy on COMLEX and our school (one of top DO schools) and to just review it all in a couple of days with saverese. Would you say OMGOMT is better than the green book and if so is it the videos or questions that you liked? Because I had reading straight out of a text book lol
Yes OMGOMT is (in my opinion) better. However some people just want to speed through a textbook which is understandable. To each their own :) I hated savarese and found the videos on OO refreshing. Also I have OCD and savarese was the most disorganized thing I’ve ever read.