COMs Establishing New Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staphylococcus Aureus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alot of big talk from the newer schools, but are there actually any new (not currently established) residency programs actually set in motion to open 2017 and onward?

Members don't see this ad.

At my ACOM interview they are starting their IM residency at their big medical center this summer. You can go to AOA opportunities and find a list of proposed programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
https://apps.acgme-i.org/ads/Public...entYear=2018&SpecialtyId=&AcademicYearId=2016

I wouldn't bother with the AOA page anymore since the merger is going on and at this point there is no point to get AOA accredited for a residency. Just type ACGME new residency programs on google and see what pops up. (Granted, some of the residencies on the page will be former AOA programs, but the rest are new residencies/fellowships nationwide).

The AOA residency program page gives information about which aoa programs have received acgme accred, which have failed, and which have decided to just start applying so they cannot
articipate in the upcoming match cycle.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
https://apps.acgme-i.org/ads/Public...entYear=2018&SpecialtyId=&AcademicYearId=2016

I wouldn't bother with the AOA page anymore since the merger is going on and at this point there is no point to get AOA accredited for a residency. Just type ACGME new residency programs on google and see what pops up. (Granted, some of the residencies on the page will be former AOA programs, but the rest are new residencies/fellowships nationwide).

Disagree. The AOA page is incredibly useful also because sometimes the PD writes notes for their program (like how many students they are planning on taking, minimum step/level scores, etc.). If you are a current student, the AOA page can help you a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
So to be clear, what you are saying is, other than maybe ACOM IM, there are no COMs building residency programs. I'm not referring to AOA -> ACGME transitioning programs, but brand new ones.

So to be clear, what you are saying is, other than maybe ACOM IM, there are no COMs building residency programs. I'm not referring to AOA -> ACGME transitioning programs, but brand new ones.

I know BCOM has created several residency programs over multiple specialities. It's not nearly equal to the number of students going to BCOM, but they did create spots.

I know BCOM has created several residency programs over multiple specialities. It's not nearly equal to the number of students going to BCOM, but they did create spots.

Can you link us to the residencies that they have created? Should be linked or to the hospitals.

I truly believe BCOM isn't going to follow through with their statements of building a large number of residencies. MUCOM hasn't done it and they touted that since they started.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Can you link us to the residencies that they have created? Should be linked or to the hospitals.

I truly believe BCOM isn't going to follow through with their statements of building a large number of residencies. MUCOM hasn't done it and they touted that since they started.

I don't go there, but a quick google search pulled up this:

Clinical Partners & GME

It's from Aug. 2016 stating they have opened 101 residency positions. Maybe a current student could give us more info?

Disagree. The AOA page is incredibly useful also because sometimes the PD writes notes for their program (like how many students they are planning on taking, minimum step/level scores, etc.). If you are a current student, the AOA page can help you a lot.

What I meant to say was there is no point at looking at the AOA page to see if any NEW residencies are opening up. If any new programs were to open up now, they would be applying directly for ACGME accreditation.

Does MUCOM still claim to be building spots or did they just give up? They always seemed a bit overhyped anyhow.

Members don't see this ad :)
CUSOM has been opening quite a few and continues to do so.

Does mean anything but acom just got a FM program ready to go for 2018 with 8 spots

How many have the opened so far?

Too many to name here. Look on AOA opportunities, it's literally all of the NC residencies except for the family med residencies in Fayetteville and Morganton, which are VCOM residencies. So about 16 different programs and counting as I know they are adding psych at cape fear next year among others.

Too many to name here. Look on AOA opportunities, it's literally all of the NC residencies except for the family med residencies in Fayetteville and Morganton, which are VCOM residencies. So about 16 different programs and counting as I know they are adding psych at cape fear next year among others.

When I interviewed I had written down 19 somewhere. They seem to be doing a really great job.

I believe NYITCOM at Arkansas State is also establishing GME, as well as ARCOM.

I'll believe ARCOM when I see it. NY-AR however I could see following through, as NYIT has a big GME system already.

I have no idea why people are perplexed about the residency situation, just check the AOA site. BCOM, NYIT-AR, and assuming UIW (since they are showing a couple of residency in the San Antonio area) have approval at the bare minimum from the AOA. These stated residency are not a bluff.

If you are asking ACGME approval, okay that's a different story.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll believe ARCOM when I see it. NY-AR however I could see following through, as NYIT has a big GME system already.
Then go look at the AOA residencies..? ARCOM has IM and FM spots opened up for the 2017 match.

Then go look at the AOA residencies..? ARCOM has IM and FM spots opened up for the 2017 match.
They have also joined up with an OPTI in TN to help establish more... or something. I am curious what happened to their first dean of clinical education...

They have also joined up with an OPTI in TN to help establish more... or something. I am curious what happened to their first dean of clinical education...
Ya that'll be interesting to watch and see if something comes out of it. As far as the first dean, the president told me the guy was more interested in flying around the country for conventions than hiring staff so they went separate ways. There's always two sides to every story though so who really knows..

Not the Dean , but the lady who was trying to setup the GME stuff and clinical rotations... younger, blonde... seemed to be a key player but she is absent from the website.

Not the Dean , but the lady who was trying to setup the GME stuff and clinical rotations... younger, blonde... seemed to be a key player but she is absent from the website.
Ohh, my bad. Yes I noticed that too. No idea about that one. She was a pretty significant figure too as far as osteopathic national board members if I remember correctly? They've had some interestingly quick turnover, that's for sure.

Ohh, my bad. Yes I noticed that too. No idea about that one. She was a pretty significant figure too as far as osteopathic national board members if I remember correctly? They've had some interestingly quick turnover, that's for sure.
Yeah she was awesome. Wish I could even remember he name...

These are the CUSOM programs

Affiliate Residency Programs
Can you explain why in the IM section 2 are dead links/direct to page not found?

The other 2 are as follows:
Sampson Regional --> 5 spots. None are open. They have not completed their ACGME application.
MooreHealth --> 45 spots. None are open. They have not completed their ACGME application.

It's concerning because they may not make the cut.

I'd rather COMs not establish new residencies. It's bad enough they erected another school...

I'd rather COMs not establish new residencies. It's bad enough they erected another school...

Uhhh cant tell if srs

Im totally fine with new schools popping up left and right if they carry their own or more with GME expansion, the problem is theyre not so far

Can you explain why in the IM section 2 are dead links/direct to page not found?

Sampson Regional --> 5 spots. None are open. They have not completed their ACGME application.
MooreHealth --> 45 spots. None are open. They have not completed their ACGME application.

Yeah we will see, I wonder if the new addition saying that programs that aren't ultimately ACGME accredited can still graduate their residents past 2020 will lead to more programs putting off making the changes necessary for ACGME.

I would hope that any program that was looking to open soon had already considered the ACGME requirements. It is such a waste of time to put all the effort into starting new residency programs that won't actually open.

My guess is the hospital updates their website and CUSOM isn't updating their link. One link didn't work in IM for me so I added it below. The only spots with AOA approval and not taking students yet are FirstHealth and Cape Fear Pediatrics. I'm not sure why that's the case but it says they are working on the ACGME applications.

Southeastern IM - http://www.srmc.org/main/residencyprogram-internalmedicine.html
Sampson GME - Graduate Medical Education | Sampson Regional Medical Center

Lol...

No school can "open" or "establish" their own residency programs.

They may have better links to certain hospitals in the region that may allow you to do auditions and rotations there in total... thus INCREASING your chance to match there.

It's just another bull-crap selling point schools tell you to persuade you to come to their program. BCOM tried to do this with us but that program will excel in placing their students in New Mexico programs because baby Jesus knows they need it (and it doesn't hurt that the dean is a billionaire).

Your best bet is to go to a well-established program.

In the end of it all... all of these new DO programs will pump their resources and money and time into establishing more primary care doctors because that's their goal.

FM, IM, Peds, etc.

Uhhh cant tell if srs

Im totally fine with new schools popping up left and right if they carry their own or more with GME expansion, the problem is theyre not so far

Hmmmmm, am srs. How can you be so short-sighted?

The bottleneck currently we have from a saturation of the profession is residencies. If a hoard of residencies opened up it would certainly be bad for medicine. Salaries would plummet, training would get diluted, and we would complete our dissent into the world of the law professions short sightedness. I believe that was @Giovanotto's point.
A lot of people seem to believe medicine is exempt from simple economics. It scares me to death, because I want my classmates and future physicians to be just as aggressive as I am when it comes to protecting our (my future) profession. The current trend in medicine of being an employee/salaried position is already a cause for concern, imo. It is what it is I guess, I'm sure there is another side to this argument that I'm missing.

Hmmmmm, am srs. How can you be so short-sighted?

The bottleneck currently we have from a saturation of the profession is residencies. If a hoard of residencies opened up it would certainly be bad for medicine. Salaries would plummet, training would get diluted, and we would complete our dissent into the world of the law professions short sightedness. I believe that was @Giovanotto's point.

Ahhhhh gotcha, long term consequences. Graduates of schools not getting residencies >>> Graduates of residencies not getting jobs.

What I see is a ton of schools opening up in areas with physician shortages claiming to attempt to address those shortages, yet a severe lack of residencies being opened up in those areas.

But i get what your saying protect the job market, my bad!

A lot of people seem to believe medicine is exempt from simple economics. It scares me to death, because I want my classmates and future physicians to be just as aggressive as I am when it comes to protecting our (my future) profession. The current trend in medicine of being an employee/salaried position is already a cause for concern, imo. It is what it is I guess, I'm sure there is another side to this argument that I'm missing.

What you are completely missing is that residencies have grown at essentially a fixed rate for years. This rate mirrors population growth. We do actually need more residencies to open. The growth that is happening will not impact job markets.

No it isn't immune from economics but we are very far away from the point where a BC physician won't be able to give find a stable, well paying job due to oversaturation.

The employee/salary thing is a product of the corporisation of healthcare. Basically fancy powerpoint presentations by non-medical MBAs took over healthcare and doctors didn't know how to stop it.

What you are completely missing is that residencies have grown at essentially a fixed rate for years. This rate mirrors population growth. We do actually need more residencies to open. The growth that is happening will not impact job markets.

No it isn't immune from economics but we are very far away from the point where a BC physician won't be able to give find a stable, well paying job due to oversaturation.

The employee/salary thing is a product of the corporisation of healthcare. Basically fancy powerpoint presentations by non-medical MBAs took over healthcare and doctors didn't know how to stop it.
I'd rather not get close to that point or flirt with that idea. Plus, cities are already oversaturated, and no matter what you say, people will continue to flock to them, and not to areas that are deprived.

To counter: what you're completely missing is the fact that this is a distribution problem, not simply an issue of numbers.

No, there are numerous new residencies that open every year. Usually it's around 100 programs, but who knows with the merger.

From the 2017 and 2016 lists, I remember there being new programs from RVU, ACOM, COMP, CCOM, LECOM, NYCOM, Nova, and I want to say one of the Touros (there were more, but these are just ones I remember). Unfortunately, for some reason I can no longer access this info on the AOA site. It now says "Access Denied". They used to publish a list of new programs, and just like AOA opportunities, the were labeled with the COM/OPTI they were sponsored by. I don't know why they revamped things. A lot of info that was previously there is gone now.

Here's the link for what it's worth, maybe one of you guys have access: http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/Pages/new-aoa-approved-ogme-programs.aspx

EDIT: Just rediscovered this thread, props to @Mad Jack for actually documenting some of this stuff prior to the purge.
Osteopathic GME Expansion in 2015

Last edited:
No, there are numerous new residencies that open every year. Usually it's around 100 programs, but who knows with the merger.

From the 2017 and 2016 lists, I remember there being new programs from RVU, ACOM, COMP, CCOM, LECOM, NYCOM, Nova, and I want to say one of the Touros (there were more, but these are just ones I remember). Unfortunately, for some reason I can no longer access this info on the AOA site. It now says "Access Denied". They used to publish a list of new programs, and just like AOA opportunities, the were labeled with the COM/OPTI they were sponsored by. I don't know why they revamped things. A lot of info that was previously there is gone now.

Here's the link for what it's worth, maybe one of you guys have access: http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/Pages/new-aoa-approved-ogme-programs.aspx

EDIT: Just rediscovered this thread, props to @Mad Jack for actually documenting some of this stuff prior to the purge.
Osteopathic GME Expansion in 2015

I think the merger has a lot to do with it. They even disabled access to this year's AOA match results, which were visible in February.

To counter: what you're completely missing is the fact that this is a distribution problem, not simply an issue of numbers.

I know, but the fact is that residencies have been increasing yearly for a long time. The rate of growth will not affect job markets. The large cities are already saturated and have been for a while, that is nothing new.

I know, but the fact is that residencies have been increasing yearly for a long time. The rate of growth will not affect job markets. The large cities are already saturated and have been for a while, that is nothing new.
I'd assume you knew, and I still don't follow your logic.

I don't know how it helps them to hide the match results, but I know they do. I think the AOA will keep the party going as long as they can before shuttering. Its a brave new world out there tho once they do.

While I have no interest in AOA for my own residency (not that it will matter by the time I match), I do have a great interest in them keeping more options open to DO's cause the merger didn't change PD's mind about us.

Its pretty clear to me that we need to be protective of primary care even as that is going to be DO bread and butter. Out of my school, half the grads matched in AOA, and there were over 175 (out of like 205) that matched FM or IM (mostly nonacademic). I know everyone just "picks what they want" but the reality is that as DOs what we get to pick from is smaller and costlier, but still came from the cheapo costco tub.

So I am with Giovanotto earlier. I don't want more expansion, all you have to do is look at the nursing and pharm 'shortage' to see how that will work out. The ironic thing is all the projected shortages are based on baby boomers, half of whom will be dead in 10-15 years. What happens then guys? Will the schools that opened up to meet these shortages close? Will the new residency close? Just think about it.

Just to chime. The match stats are still available, just not the specific program outcomes. It seems like they are revamping a lot because even the post-match was organized a bit differently. I have no idea what the motivation is of not keeping that data public.

Also, out of curiosity, which school do you go to? DCOM? If so and the list in the match list thread is accurate, I counted 206 students from that list, 130 of which did FM or IM and 5 that did TRIs. Its still a sizeable percentage doing FM or IM (~65%), more than most DO schools.

I am going off what the school sent us. I had 95 (off the top of my head) IM and 75ish FM when I counted. Add in the 6-12 peds, and you are at 175 easy for primary. That list in the thread is slightly different than the two official emails I got, but it may be better. I saw no Radiology matches in the official email, but I suppose 2-3 could have soaped because the school only sent a list with 203 matches when you added up AOA, military, san fran and ACGME. It was a depressing list to be honest.

Yeah, I'd message the person who posted that one to see which is more accurate. By my counts using that list ~75% placed in primary care, which is probably the high end of the spectrum compared to other COMs. DCOM usually does have a higher PC placement rate along with I think WCU and KYCOM.

I'd assume you knew, and I still don't follow your logic.

My point is that residencies have always been increasing to mimic population growth. At a very consistent rate. The production of new residency programs by COMs is just a part of that natural growth. There will be no sudden explosion is residency programs like we see in medical schools unless the government changes their funding. The small consistent increase in GME does not affect job markets because it is so small, and it doesn't really change from year to year. The oversaturated markets are that way because they are highly desirable areas that lots of people want to live in, not because of GME growth.

Yeah, I'd message the person who posted that one to see which is more accurate. By my counts using that list ~75% placed in primary care, which is probably the high end of the spectrum compared to other COMs. DCOM usually does have a higher PC placement rate along with I think WCU and KYCOM.

As WCU student our dean sent out an email detailing our match stats. While we did have a few peeps get into some competitive AOa spots GS, Ortho and EM, many were scramble/ soap into PC. It was a very high rate of Primary care.

Last edited: