Army Completing a B.S in Biology on Active Duty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOVA1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am Army AGR and wish to eventually apply to medical school. I have about 30 credits completed from before I got on AGR and I just applied to Arizona State University online Biology program. Has anyone on active duty completed a degree and medical school prerequisites while on active duty? If so can you give me any tips or advice? I want to avoid going back to the reserves because I would lose a stable income and medical benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am Army AGR and wish to eventually apply to medical school. I have about 30 credits completed from before I got on AGR and I just applied to Arizona State University online Biology program. Has anyone on active duty completed a degree and medical school prerequisites while on active duty? If so can you give me any tips or advice? I want to avoid going back to the reserves because I would lose a stable income and medical benefits.

Sure, plenty have. Best to do it at a real school (vice an on line one). All of your science classes will require in-person labs. You can complete most pre-med requirements at a junior college (look for night classes) in your local area. It'll take some time and dedication, but it is doable.

mmmm...go brick and mortar university for those upper division courses like ochem and biochem. It'll cost more but that's one of many price tags associated with becoming a doctor.

Good luck and all the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, plenty have. Best to do it at a real school (vice an on line one). All of your science classes will require in-person labs. You can complete most pre-med requirements at a junior college (look for night classes) in your local area. It'll take some time and dedication, but it is doable.

Thanks for the advice. The base were I am stationed does not have a school close by. I guess I should just wait until I PCS closer to a school.

I just finished up my degree. I did all the classes for my major online over 2 years and then PCSed to Bragg. At Bragg I attended Campbell University to knock out my prereqs. They have all the required science classes available on post.

I just finished up my degree. I did all the classes for my major online over 2 years and then PCSed to Bragg. At Bragg I attended Campbell University to knock out my prereqs. They have all the required science classes available on post.

Thanks for the post! So you finished your bachelors online and the did the medical school prereqs in person?

Last edited:
Thanks for the post! So you finished your bachelors online and the did the medical school prereqs in person?