This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

picmonic freak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only irreversible competitive chemicals/drugs that comes to my mind are Aspirin, phenoxybenzamine, and (maybe CO toxin? or that one maybe just has a REALLY high affinity and may be CONSIDERED irreversible). Does anyone have a compilation of these irreversible competitive inhibitors? feel free to correct anything i stated. On line weaver burk plot qs, I'm not confident when it asks about competitive inhibitors because I always wonder: "Is THAT one irreversible?". I currently have the understanding that any chemical that competes for the active site and forms a covalent bond is irreversible competitive inhibitor- (and perhaps chemical whose affinity is so high that they are considered PRACTICALLY irreversible.... but not sure about this one) Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

MAOI- irreversibly inhibit MAO.... which is why there needs to be a couple week "washout period" before starting something like an SSRI→ to avoid SS.