Competitiveness of Palli?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiotropium

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is it in applying for HPM fellowships? I'm a DO, PGY1 in an academic MD FM program. Are there spots that go unfilled anywhere, whether it be at somewhere like Hopkins, UCLA versus a community program? Any idea how many people don't get a spot at all after applying? What makes a candidate strong for applying? Am I correct in thinking that most applicants apply during Dec of R2?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know how competitive palliative is although I would venture to think that it varies on the program. My advice would be to apply early and research what programs you are interested in.

You should start thinking about applying during your pgy2 year - although with the talks about palliative finally going to the match, I'm not sure if that's still correct.

Keep in mind that some great programs such as U of Rochester do not participate in eras.

If your program has a palliative division, express your interest in the field and ask them what programs you should consider as palliative is a fairly small world.

If you want have any questions, I would be happy to talk to you in private. I'm also a DO in internal medicine who successfully got a palliative position in my first choice.

I am a PGY2 in FM and I'm starting to gain interest in hospice and palliative care. I have a lot of questions regarding it .... lifestyle , job satisfaction , calls , salary , is fellowship necessary. Can anyone guide me in the right direction as to where I can get more info. Thanks

competitiveness in palliative care is essentially non existent. You need a pulse, and have finished the requirement to apply, and you will get it.

Just curious if this is still the case? Is Palliative care still not a very competitive fellowship? What about at places like MSK, Harvard, Dartmouth etc?