Competitiveness of neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phrasing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kinds of scores/research profiles match at top neurology residency programs? To match at say Penn/Columbia/Hopkins is it basically required to have 250+ and multiple pubs? I know neurology is one of the less competitive residency programs overall but is it still brutal near the top?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Similar to IM. Quite competitive near the top (such as Partners, Columbia, Hopkins, Wash U, UCSF, Mayo, among others). That competitiveness drops off rapidly and you can comfortably match at your choice of good programs with fairly average board scores and no publications as long as you show your commitment to the field.

Reactions: 1 users
Similar to IM. Quite competitive near the top (such as Partners, Columbia, Hopkins, Wash U, UCSF, Mayo, among others). That competitiveness drops off rapidly and you can comfortably match at your choice of good programs with fairly average board scores and no publications as long as you show your commitment to the field.
Alright well that is not comforting..

Members don't see this ad :)
From my experience when I applied a few years back, there are about ten or so programs that are hard to get interviews at but if you are an average application there are a ton of great programs that would still be in reach.

The most competitive programs tend to be at major medical centers that are in popular cities (NYC (Columbia, I think NYU is getting pretty good), Boston (Harvard affiliates), Philly (Penn), Bay area (UCSF, Stanford), LA (UCLA)), Hopkins, Wash U, ect..

From my experience when I applied a few years back, there are about ten or so programs that are hard to get interviews at but if you are an average application there are a ton of great programs that would still be in reach.

The most competitive programs tend to be at major medical centers that are in popular cities (NYC (Columbia, I think NYU is getting pretty good), Boston (Harvard affiliates), Philly (Penn), Bay area (UCSF, Stanford), LA (UCLA)), Hopkins, Wash U, ect..
Right but to get interviews at those ten what kind of scores/experiences are necessary?

I would say USMLE 1 over 240 and something that makes you an interesting candidate such as extensive research/global health/community involvement type experiences. I think very strong letters of recommendation are under appreciated and it always helps to come with a medical school with a strong reputation.

Not too much bias except for maybe at the top. I got plenty of interviews as a DO with an average USMLE

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
To be frank if you're a us grad neuro isn't competitive just maybe for top tier

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Really blew my USMLE. How much of a deathknell is a 214 for a DO for ACGME Neuro (particularly Texas/Houston area)?

You wont be competitive for top programs (some don't consider DO anyway) but hard to imagine that you wouldnt be able to find a ACGME program with that board score as long as you don't have any glaring red flags. If you're nervous then take some time to do some research, you'll be amazed what a pubmed citation or two on your CV will do for most places.

You wont be competitive for top programs (some don't consider DO anyway) but hard to imagine that you wouldnt be able to find a ACGME program with that board score as long as you don't have any glaring red flags. If you're nervous then take some time to do some research, you'll be amazed what a pubmed citation or two on your CV will do for most places.
Thanks for the feedback. The programs I'm interested in aren't top programs, but are at big universities and at major med center. From all my OMS-II mind can tell, they seem like great places to train. Definitely have seen DOs in some of them, but hard to tell if I'd still be in running. I'll be calling and talking to the programs now that I have a score to work with. Planning on getting set up with some degree of research in the coming year. COMLEX was 550+, so considerably better. Hope the imbalance isn't too much.

I would say USMLE 1 over 240 and something that makes you an interesting candidate such as extensive research/global health/community involvement type experiences. I think very strong letters of recommendation are under appreciated and it always helps to come with a medical school with a strong reputation.

Thanks for the info. Just joining in on the thread. What would you say the score requirement is for an IMG?

Thanks for the feedback. The programs I'm interested in aren't top programs, but are at big universities and at major med center. From all my OMS-II mind can tell, they seem like great places to train. Definitely have seen DOs in some of them, but hard to tell if I'd still be in running. I'll be calling and talking to the programs now that I have a score to work with. Planning on getting set up with some degree of research in the coming year. COMLEX was 550+, so considerably better. Hope the imbalance isn't too much.

I'm a DO student as well, just finished interview season with 10 interviews at mid tier programs all at major academic centers with a 214 USMLE, 3rd quartile of the class, no publications - I scored high 230s on Step 2. Also, I did have a strong commitment to neurology which was evident through my letters along with multiple volunteer and work experiences with an emphasis on leadership.

What is important to realize is that most neuro programs offer the essentially the same resources and training - it is fit that you should look for. Also a majority of the programs that I interviewed at had graduates placed in top-tier fellowships.

You can do it.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a DO student as well, just finished interview season with 10 interviews at mid tier programs all at major academic centers with a 214 USMLE, 3rd quartile of the class, no publications - I scored high 230s on Step 2. Also, I did have a strong commitment to neurology which was evident through my letters along with multiple volunteer and work experiences with an emphasis on leadership.

What is important to realize is that most neuro programs offer the essentially the same resources and training - it is fit that you should look for. Also a majority of the programs that I interviewed at had graduates placed in top-tier fellowships.

You can do it.
Congratulations on your successes! I really appreciate the feedback on this. As interesting as I've found neuro, once I started rotations, I began to see how much I really enjoyed inpatient general medicine. I'm looking to apply IM now. Still had a blast on my neuro rotation, and look forward to getting my mind blown by the neurologists around the hospital. All the best to you.

How many programs did you apply to and what was your yield?

I applied to 40 programs. Was offered 12 interviews, all of which were categorical programs (some of which were listed as "advanced" but actually guaranteed the intern year).

Side note, because I had applied to ~5 advanced neurology programs I put out applications to 10 prelim programs and was only offered 1 interview on that front. Unfortunately that is a much more competitive field. Going that route is another beast entirely.