Competitiveness of Integrated IR Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irads

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a current 3rd year medical school student quite interested in IR. I'm trying to get an idea of how competitive the newish integrated programs are, and which of the "new" integrated IR residency programs are considered "top programs".

I know that Step1 ranges are unknown at this point, but what about research? I'm planning whether to take a year off after 3rd year or not, and this would heavily factor in.'

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard through the grapevine that one program received 250 applications from this year's ERAS. They have 3 spots. It's going to be competitive.

It's a perfect storm of competitiveness. People interested in IR are having to apply to both integrated IR and DR residencies to hedge their bets. The bigger IR programs with the infrastructure to do so are taking their integrated spots from the old DR pool at their institutions. Smaller programs are setting up independent programs, but everyone who's not in an integrated program and interested in IR will be clamoring for ESIR requirements, and with the procedure and rotation requirements you can only fit so many DR residents through this pathway. Meanwhile the DR job market is suddenly opening up, making DR more competitive.

Whether taking 3rd year off would harm you depends entirely on why you did it and how you spent it. You don't have to invent a new catheter or even do something IR-related, but it should at least be something interesting to talk about for 5-10 minutes during an interview.