competitive GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tahdah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of GPA, MCAT, and ECs do I need to get into JHU, or into U. of Wash Med School?
I'm going to be attending U of Wash next year.
I have a 3.9 right now out of CC
Calc I- A
Calc II- A-
Calc III- A
Calc IV- A
Engl 101- A
Engl 245- B+...dammit
Spch 100- A
Med. Term- A
G. Chem I- A
G. Chem II- A
G. Chem III- A
I don't know if the type of classes matter.
That B+ extremely worries me.

Members don't see this ad.

-

Last edited:
4 calculuses? 3 gen chems? wtf...I really wouldnt start thinking about Hopkins until you start beasting classes with the big dogs (sorry CCs usually dont cut it) and score 96%ile+ on the MCAT on top of stellar ECs.

Members don't see this ad :)
CC grades don't really mean jack. The classes are just too easy.

Well at U. Wash, you almost have to have state residency. Are you a WA resident? They're very hard to get into from out of state (although it is possible). JHU is not a school that selects based upon residency, but they have very tough selection criteria. I'd say keep your GPA above a 3.8 and they'll consider you. You'll also need a good MCAT (35+) to boot.

Either of these schools will require a good list of ECs. I suggest volunteering wherever you can find and sticking with one opportunity throughout college (are you a H.S. senior?). Then you can get more and more experience and hopefully get some leadership experience combined with volunteering. Good examples of this are volunteer EMT, or working for a free clinic. I know JHU will really want you to have significant research experience (more than just one summer). Publishing a research paper in a peer-reviewed journal will get you lots of points.

Well at U. Wash, you almost have to have state residency. Are you a WA resident? They're very hard to get into from out of state (although it is possible). JHU is not a school that selects based upon residency, but they have very tough selection criteria. I'd say keep your GPA above a 3.8 and they'll consider you. You'll also need a good MCAT (35+) to boot.

Either of these schools will require a good list of ECs. I suggest volunteering wherever you can find and sticking with one opportunity throughout college (are you a H.S. senior?). Then you can get more and more experience and hopefully get some leadership experience combined with volunteering. Good examples of this are volunteer EMT, or working for a free clinic. I know JHU will really want you to have significant research experience (more than just one summer). Publishing a research paper in a peer-reviewed journal will get you lots of points.

Yes I am a WA state resident. Yes, currently a HS senior. Sorry, that it's kind of off topic, but hSDN doesn't get much attention IMO.

What kind of GPA, MCAT, and ECs do I need to get into JHU, or into U. of Wash Med School?
I'm going to be attending U of Wash next year.
I have a 3.9 right now out of CC
Calc I- A
Calc II- A-
Calc III- A
Calc IV- A
Engl 101- A
Engl 245- B+...dammit
Spch 100- A
Med. Term- A
G. Chem I- A
G. Chem II- A
G. Chem III- A
I don't know if the type of classes matter.
That B+ extremely worries me.

CC grades are not compared to undergrad institutions (these are from the words of the dean of my univ med school) They're just nowhere as competitive. While its a high grade, see how you do at UWash will give a more accurate picture.

I know there are many sucessful applicants coming from CC or who transfered to an undergrad institution who may defend the difficulty of CC, but honestly while its all subjective, theyr'e definitely not viewed in the same category.

You would need a 3.9+ and a 37+ at a 4 year institution to stand a chance at WashU, it seems.

high school??

You're only a senior? Jesus christ man, taking that into account I think an Adcom would be pretty impressed with your accomplishments thus far. You've taken more calc and chem than some Sophomore premeds have, and you're not even IN college yet. Keep that work ethic up and you'll be fine, really.

Hey tahdah, I'm posting because I'm concerned about your mentality. This is the second thread you've started that seems to be rather frantic about selection criteria. For some perspective, please check out the statistics here:
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/

or buy this book, the MSAR:
https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...ion=Product.displayForm&prd_id=226&prv_id=276

Here is some info regarding the University of Washington-

Of the accepted applicants for 2007:
The average overall GPA was 3.7
The average science GPA was 3.7
And the average MCAT was an 11,10,11, Q.

There were 1,097 applicants. 732 received interviews, and 176 were accepted.

A very good friend of mine applied this last cycle. He/She received around 5 acceptances, but was not accepted to UW as an in-state candidate. She had a 3.98 GPA from a very well-respected, private university along with excellent ECs and the same MCAT as the average for accepted candidates. Out of 1,000 applicants, they certainly received innumerable +3.9 GPAs, but those accepted averaged 3.7. This should mean something to you.

Shadow a Physician if you haven't already, meditate on the experience, and then gain some confidence and a realistic perspective in regards to the process. I see too many pre-meds who are so obsessed with whether or not they can become a doctor, they don't think about whether or not they should.

Please don't feel that I'm demeaning you in any way, it's just that I went through this same period of self-doubt [a B in Physics --in my defense, we have a really hard physics class . . . ] and I'm hoping to save you from that experience.

In short, there's nothing you can do to gain acceptance into these schools but your very best. That includes pursuing interests outside of medicine and having confidence in yourself.

CHILL
OUT.

chillpill2.jpg

4 calculuses? 3 gen chems? wtf...I really wouldnt start thinking about Hopkins until you start beasting classes with the big dogs (sorry CCs usually dont cut it) and score 96%ile+ on the MCAT on top of stellar ECs.

im assuming that is on a quarter system, chill budd, thats a year of Gen chem, Year and some change of calc and a year of english..

However for a HS Senior.. that is rather impressive..
I may sqitch to a school on the quarter system so I have the ability to have 10000000 A's as oppose to 99999