Comparing 2nd and 3rd Year with 1st year of Podiatry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E E Smith

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you compare your 2nd and 3rd year of Podiatry School to your 1st? A lot of people always talk about how they like/dislike their school... but how does it change/contrast to 1st?

Name your school talk about fall and spring, summer of 1st year and compare it with your 2nd and 3rd year. Hope we get every school represented on here. It be intresting to see what you found to be strong/good about your school compared to what you don't like/thought could be better. BtW 4th years and recent graduates can comment to. Id just like a recent description of how things are at your podiatric medical school

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I am a 2nd year student at Western University. I'm about to finish my 3rd semester and I would say the main difference between 1st year and 2nd year is critical thinking. During 1st year there is more of an emphasis on your ability to memorize facts, while 2nd year requires more critical thinking. The stereotypical complaints about Western is their weakness in podiatry related courses and their lackadaisical attitude towards their student's success. It is hard for me to comment about the level of podiatry taught at westernu in comparison to other podiatry schools because I've never taken a podiatry course at another school. However I do feel like my knowledge of podiatry is subpar, but in perspective I am only a 2nd year podiatry student. In regards to WesternU reputation as being ruthless/lackadaisical/etc. towards their students I found this to be only true towards students that didn't perform well and were given multiple opportunities to prove to the faculty that their previous failures were just hiccups.

Pros: faculty, small class size, well rounded curriculum
Cons: food, parking

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There really is no comparison

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a second year student at CSPM. To help give you a better understanding, I will describe how I felt about every semester.

First semester was difficult because of the transition from undergrad expectations to professional school expectations. The first couple of months were especially difficult because I transitioned from dedicating 35 hours of class and studying in undergrad to 60 to 80 hours a week at CSPM.

Second semester I started figuring out how to study, but CSPM upped the coursework quite a bit. So while I continued to study 60 to 80 hours a week I was doing it much more efficiently. There were many Friday nights that I spend studying second semester though.

Third semester was during the summer and was definitely my most difficult semester to maintain my GPA, and I think most of my classmates would agree.

We just finished our fourth semester. While the classes required more critical thinking rather than brute memorization, they were much more interesting, and I felt like there was a little less material to study than ever before. I feel that this was probably my easiest semester, and probably only dedicated around 60 hours a week including a month of rotations I had. Some students had rotations and may have dedicated 70+ hours a week (rotations are based on a lottery and are staggered).

Having just gotten our Spring schedule, I am convinced it will be the most difficult semester.

Overall, I really feel I am getting an amazing education at CSPM. PM me if you have any questions.

This a great thread. Any 2nd/3rd years from other schools want to weigh in?

How would you compare your 2nd and 3rd year of Podiatry School to your 1st? A lot of people always talk about how they like/dislike their school... but how does it change/contrast to 1st?

Name your school talk about fall and spring, summer of 1st year and compare it with your 2nd and 3rd year. Hope we get every school represented on here. It be intresting to see what you found to be strong/good about your school compared to what you don't like/thought could be better. BtW 4th years and recent graduates can comment to. Id just like a recent description of how things are at your podiatric medical school
At Midwestern, I found the second year to be about the same level of difficulty as first year. The classes are more interesting, are motivating due to their relevance, and build upon first-year knowledge. Though the classes are in fact more difficult, the rigor of first year and the accompanying development of steady habits and discipline made it seem about the same for me (plus there aren't the gross anatomy labs eating up study time in autumn and winter).

As far as basic science content, the first year is more about normal structure and function of the human body with the more basic abnormalities, whereas second year is generally more focused on disease states, clinical medical applications, and pharmacology. First year podiatry-specific courses are quite simple in comparison to those in second year, and our clinical medicine courses don't begin until year two.

Third year is an absolute breeze compared to first and second years - there is no comparison. Definitely the easiest and probably the most fun year of podiatry school. I learned a ton from my rotations and had plenty of independent study time to begin developing my own points of view on a number of clinical topics. Midwestern has a lot of awesome third year attendings, particularly if you're willing to travel to the east valley for rotations.

At Midwestern, I found the second year to be about the same level of difficulty as first year. The classes are more interesting, are motivating due to their relevance, and build upon first-year knowledge. Though the classes are in fact more difficult, the rigor of first year and the accompanying development of steady habits and discipline made it seem about the same for me (plus there aren't the gross anatomy labs eating up study time in autumn and winter).

As far as basic science content, the first year is more about normal structure and function of the human body with the more basic abnormalities, whereas second year is generally more focused on disease states, clinical medical applications, and pharmacology. First year podiatry-specific courses are quite simple in comparison to those in second year, and our clinical medicine courses don't begin until year two.

Third year is an absolute breeze compared to first and second years - there is no comparison. Definitely the easiest and probably the most fun year of podiatry school. I learned a ton from my rotations and had plenty of independent study time to begin developing my own points of view on a number of clinical topics. Midwestern has a lot of awesome third year attendings, particularly if you're willing to travel to the east valley for rotations.

I agree with much of what FootAndAnkle has to say. However, at NYCPM I'd say 1st year is the least difficult year. Although there are likely many who simply do not strive during 1st year because studying for medical exams requires retraining compared to undergrad. People at my school tend to argue between 2nd year and 3rd year being more difficult, but I'd say 3rd year is the hardest but also the most rewarding of the 3. During 2nd year you will begin to take many more clinical courses as the year progresses which will not be on your Boards Part 1 at the end of the year in July. I enjoyed that transition from 1st year since I felt it applied to what I need to know as a podiatrist, however the hours of studying can be tiring and we had approximately 2 exams per week.

3rd year became a different sort of challenge - there were few courses compared to 2nd year, however you must balance your time with clinical obligations. It's rewarding to finally work with your colleagues and treat patients with the help of the attendings and residents. However, there are still academic exams every week and the clinical rotations have their own assignments and exit exams. I found the hours of work to be more tiring than 3rd year, but it was great to be more social after 2nd year. I didn't meet all of my classmates until 3rd year because I spent years 1 and 2 attending class and studying, only conversing with those who sat nearby. Our school has class every day at 7 or 7:30AM-9AM then it's off to clinics, hospitals or workshops. Some days end at 12PM while other ended at 7PM.

Not all schools keep students busy with clinic work. There's good and bad to it - on the plus side, we have tremendous clinical experience since we have seen so many patients by the end of third year. On the down side, when clinics get very busy it could feel like you're working at a job rather than learning from clinical experience.

I just started 4th year a bit over a month ago and it's great! You'll put many hours into your externships but it'll feel so rewarding after those first 3 years. Trust me. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
same 60-80 hour weeks studying. Subtract sleep theres only 120 hours in a week. lol.
They said 60-80 hours class and studying, so say 30-40 lecture/week, so maybe 20-40 hours studying, so like an extra 3-5 hours studying/day. It all depends on the person. Just remember it's gonna be hard and you'll spend more time on one subject over another, you'll adapt once you start. Study smart not hard....at least that's what they say haha

Getting nervous reading all this
Your study time will be comparable to medical and dental school. If you want to do real well, accept you'll be studying (outside of class) 5 or so hours a day, 5-6x a week. These numbers will increase during exam weeks.

Your study time will be comparable to medical and dental school. If you want to do real well, accept you'll be studying (outside of class) 5 or so hours a day, 5-6x a week. These numbers will increase during exam weeks.

How are exams spaced out? Roughly how many are there in a semester? I'm sure it may vary by schools, but was curious. Thanks for the helpfulness.

How are exams spaced out? Roughly how many are there in a semester? I'm sure it may vary by schools, but was curious. Thanks for the helpfulness.

At least one every two to three weeks. There will also be practicals and patient simulation encounters spaced throughout the semester. All very doable, but you can't let off the gas w/out falling behind.

Members don't see this ad :)
bumped from the dead lol. I figured I'd add to this for continuity.

I'm at WesternU starting my 4th year now so I can comment on 3rd year. So 3rd year is SO MUCH EASIER than 1st and 2nd year. Pod students are really lucky they don't have shelf exams, so you are just studying for the betterment of yourself or so you don't look silly during your rotations. Depending on your rotation you have weekends off, you can relax when you are done for the day, and you get to talk to people all day instead of studying. The only thing that is hard about 3rd year is depending on what rotation you are the hours are rough and sometimes you do so little you wonder why you are even at this rotation.

Have even heard from opto students about how their rotations could be an absolute blast to be in or could be reduced to answering phone calls at the front and doing less than a tech.

Guess this is also prevalent in pod.

bumped from the dead lol. I figured I'd add to this for continuity.

I'm at WesternU starting my 4th year now so I can comment on 3rd year. So 3rd year is SO MUCH EASIER than 1st and 2nd year. Pod students are really lucky they don't have shelf exams, so you are just studying for the betterment of yourself or so you don't look silly during your rotations. Depending on your rotation you have weekends off, you can relax when you are done for the day, and you get to talk to people all day instead of studying. The only thing that is hard about 3rd year is depending on what rotation you are the hours are rough and sometimes you do so little you wonder why you are even at this rotation.

Have even heard from opto students about how their rotations could be an absolute blast to be in or could be reduced to answering phone calls at the front and doing less than a tech.

I've never heard of anything close to that for pod. I'd be surprised if students were answering phones, etc.

I meant as in you are just a shadow. Not that they make you do meaningless task like phone calls. I've never heard of anyone having to do things like that.

As a first year, I hope the 3rd year is radically different. I'm already jaded by the amount of pump and dump we do.
As I understand it, this is our easiest semester. I'm not concerned with the volume of work (I'm doing fine, above class averages in all exams)- more so the nature of it. I really hope clinical work is more akin to what some of the Western students have posted. I enjoy learning in our gross lab where we are hands on and in discussion with each other/profs and working to solve problems (digging and probing to find the branching of the genitofemoral nerve in our cadaver) much more than sitting in the library bombing through 500 term quizlets for hours on end.

As a first year, I hope the 3rd year is radically different. I'm already jaded by the amount of pump and dump we do.
As I understand it, this is our easiest semester. I'm not concerned with the volume of work (I'm doing fine, above class averages in all exams)- more so the nature of it. I really hope clinical work is more akin to what some of the Western students have posted. I enjoy learning in our gross lab where we are hands on and in discussion with each other/profs and working to solve problems (digging and probing to find the branching of the genitofemoral nerve in our cadaver) much more than sitting in the library bombing through 500 term quizlets for hours on end.
3rd year (and 4th year) is very different than 1st year. As much as you are feeling like you need to "pump and dump" you may be called upon to remember some of those things during your rotations. The more of that stuff that you can remember, the better off you will be on rotations. We all cram before an exam, but as much as you can, try to avoid cramming and try to really learn the material. It may not be as important for some subjects, but you may be surprised how much of it will pop back up during rotations, especially general medical rotations. If you know the basics down solid, it may go a long ways towards getting the respect of your attendings. When it comes to podiatric rotations, things like biochem won't be as pertinent likely, but anatomy will be your most important subject. Just my two cents

The classes become gradually more clinically relevant as you advance through the program.