Comparing 2015/2016 PCAT to 2016/2017 PCAT & Dr. Collins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxTech15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum but have always looked here for suggestions/advice on studying for the PCAT. I took the Dr. Collins PCAT prep course a couple of years ago. I have used his materials for both biology and chemistry (have not gotten around to "studying" for the reading comprehension or reviewing math concepts with Dr. Collins yet...) I also took 2-3 pearson practice tests.

January 2016 PCAT:
Verbal: 38
Bio: 84
RC: 27
Chem: 72
QR: 72
Composite: 61

I plan to retake the PCAT in September 2016 and hope to increase my score by AT LEAST 14 points, but I am nervous about the new format and need ANY suggestions that I can use for my next month of studying.

Bio- I feel Dr. Collins is a sufficient study source for this subject.. Do you all agree? I reviewed his whole packet plus every biology practice test.

Chem- I reviewed more of general chemistry last time with the Dr. Collins packet as well as every practice test. I think his packet is sufficient but am wondering if I need to concentrate more on organic reactions (not my favorite) and biochemistry for this next test? Feedback?

Math- What can I do to improve my score? Not even sure how I got a 72 on it in January. I'm awful at math. Since most of it is word problems you can set up with "basic arithmetic" I was going to purchase the Pearson study guide and use that for the new format practice problems... Feedback?

RC- I am awful at this section, mainly because I am just not great with literature and it bores me. I can never understand exactly what the author is trying to say. Any advice? Can you even "study" for this section?

Did anyone take the PCAT in Fall2015/January 2016 and has retaken it with this new format??

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just took it in July using old material and here's how I sum it up in my opinion. If you have a sufficient grasp of the material go ahead and use Collins because it just simplifies everything down for you and helps you understand the general knowledge better. If you need help with more details go ahead and study with the Kaplan but warning, it has A LOT of detail and for me was pretty boring for the most part.

Summary

Bio - Kaplan
Chem - Collins
Reading - Nothing really helped except the Pearson practice tests, it was my lowest score by far
Math - Anything tbh, there can be a wide array of concepts that can show up on the Math section I actually had 15 unanswered with 3mins left but still did fine.

Okay, I will continue using Collins for Bio and Chem. On the chem, was it a lot of ochem 2 stuff or more ochem 1?

I do not even know where to begin with math since they changed the format. Practice setting up word problems (pearson practice tests?)

THANKS!!:)

Chem was more Ochem 2 stuff for me, a bunch of reactions.

Math I just used Collins but I had no idea the extent of the hard math they had on there and I was just really lucky in the end getting my score. I would just practice the Pearson practice I guess but at the same time I'd look at Kaplan, they might have more harder problems like the one on the real thing.