Comp bio research and clinical work as a physician scientist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markovchn123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who did an MD PhD program (MSTP or not) with a PhD in computational bio, I wanted to know if you ended up doing research, clinical work, or both after graduating? I'm applying this cycle to MSTPs and my main interest in research is comp bio. I would love to know what the most likely outcome is for folks who took this route.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

While I do some computational bio (mostly bioinformatics, a bit of modeling when needed) for my PhD, I'm not a comp biologist per se but I know one surgeon scientist PI who did his PhD in computational genomics and developing statistical algorithms for analyzing large datasets. He continues to use his skills in his research.

I guess a good question would be what are your particular interests w/i comp bio? Bioinformatics? modeling? algorithm dev/optimization?

While I do some computational bio (mostly bioinformatics, a bit of modeling when needed) for my PhD, I'm not a comp biologist per se but I know one surgeon scientist PI who did his PhD in computational genomics and developing statistical algorithms for analyzing large datasets. He continues to use his skills in his research.

I guess a good question would be what are your particular interests w/i comp bio? Bioinformatics? modeling? algorithm dev/optimization?

I'm more of a modeling and simulation kind of guy

Then there'll always be a need for your expertise