commuting for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm2255

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering several programs that range in commute time (30 minutes being the shortest an hour being the longest). Has anyone had experience commuting during their residency? If so, what strategies did you have to overcome the time that's lost during the commute and still stay on top of all of your responsibilities (both at home and for residency) and maintain a reasonable work life balance? Is it possible to be successful with such a long commute?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering several programs that range in commute time (30 minutes being the shortest an hour being the longest). Has anyone had experience commuting during their residency? If so, what strategies did you have to overcome the time that's lost during the commute and still stay on top of all of your responsibilities (both at home and for residency) and maintain a reasonable work life balance? Is it possible to be successful with such a long commute?
I know someone that took the train for a few months to get to their residency site. Eventually they caved and got a place much closer to their site. I don't know how feasible an hour long commute would be in the long run for you. Imagine spending 10 hours a day for a week at your site and then driving home at 10pm at night exhausted. Doesn't sound safe.

As someone that commuted to school and whose fastest route took him past O'Hare airport traffic during rush hour traffic, my suggestion is time management. Find ways to maximize your time utilized. Why spend an hour and a half in a car driving at 4:00pm when you can leave at 7:00pm and spend 40 minutes traveling the same distance? Time management and maximization of time utilized.

Reactions: 1 user
I lived at home and commuted via public transportation 1.5 hrs each way 6 days a week for 2 years of residency, but I wasn't driving, so I was able to sleep each way.
In retrospect, I probably could have swung it financially to live closer to the hospital, bc working 6 days a week for 2 years- I didn't really have the time to spend much money on anything else anyway.

My observation of my previous residents however: residents who lived within walking distance demonstrated poor time management skills and frequently spent what I think was way too many hours at the hospital, whereas residents who had to commute a considerable distance were more regular in their work bc it was their very commute that forced them to get their work done and get out of the hospital at a reasonable time.

If your differential in commute times is 30 vs 60 min, so meaning only 30 min, I don't think commute time should be your deciding factor for your rank list. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Commuting is an awful thing in my opinion. But for 1yr, it is doable to get the experience you want. Find educational podcasts to listen to while you drive and catch up with people who you wouldn't have time to talk to otherwise on the phone.
But for longterm career, avoid commuting at all costs if you are able, it is a terrible lifesuck from family time, hobby time, relaxing time and work. 15 minutes commute with option to ride my bike makes me happy as a clam ay work ;)

Reactions: 1 users
As long as you manage your time its more than possible.

I agree with the above posts especially the idea of avoiding traffic and maximizing your time. I did something similar during my pharmacy school days. It paid off quite well.

Also, consider the safety of it all - some seasons are just horrendous for driving and not to mention that might delay you so keep those things in mind.

Reactions: 1 user