community focused residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sepho

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
3rd year here that's interested in urology. I'm having a hard time narrowing down my list of programs to consider. I can't predict what I'll be interested in the future, but right now I'd prefer a program that is more community, rather than academically/research-focused.

To the fourth years and residents in urology, what programs have you encountered that fit this criteria? A few that I've heard are Mayo Rochester and Mayo Arizona.

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
3rd year here that's interested in urology. I'm having a hard time narrowing down my list of programs to consider. I can't predict what I'll be interested in the future, but right now I'd prefer a program that is more community, rather than academically/research-focused.

To the fourth years and residents in urology, what programs have you encountered that fit this criteria? A few that I've heard are Mayo Rochester and Mayo Arizona.

Thanks for your time.
I'm sorry but you can't use "Mayo" and not "research focused" in the same sentence. Especially the mothership in Rochester. I interviewed at Mayo AZ and they have a robust research contributions as well. One of their chiefs this year is graduating with close to 20 pubs. The other is somewhere in the low teens I think. I can't remember. Both are going to great fellowships.

Anyways, in terms of solid community-based programs maybe try Kaiser-LA. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head because Urology is a very academic field at its core. Even the residents at Kaiser are academically active. I wouldn't let the field's affinity with research deter you from applying. Maybe just focus your efforts on the 5 year program that make up approx 80-90% of programs in the country.