Comments on standards for graduate nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jules A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a chance for those frustrated with the lack of admission criteria, lack of nursing experience required, lack of pharmacology credits, lack of hard science courses and lack of residency before graduating NPs with the ability to diagnose, prescribe and in some states practice independently to voice their opinion and experiences.

My biggest issues are the current trend of schools directing undergraduates to remain enrolled without practicing as a nurse prior to becoming a NP for tuition retention purposes and that there is almost never the requirement to have practiced in psychiatry before becoming a Psych NP. I believe the lack of admission criteria in addition to the brief education will very likely result in a decline in NP competency as the numbers increase exponentially in upcoming years. There are schools with rolling admissions and gpa requirements that are waived as the student enters on a probationary basis. This isn't just at Online U it is happening at well respected brick and mortar universities also.

"The number of nurse practitioners (NPs) could grow by 94% by the year 2025, and they will likely provide a growing amount of healthcare services as demand increases during implementation of the Affordable Care Act, according to an article published in the July issue of Medical Care." -Medscape, 2012

http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation/Call-for-Comments-April-2017.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you crying over spilt milk. There's nothing you can do about the training that nurses are receiving and/or may have received in the past. TBH, many nurses are well trained and should not be seen as adversaries, since they are your eyes and ears when you are not on the unit. Besides, the majority of NPs are not specializing in psych NP. Yes, there are some crappy nurses out there but you can easily say the same about the psychiatrist that is currently in training or working.

I really don't understand why you started this topic...are you currently have problems with an NP at your program or workplace. Are you trying to vent or something.

Give details...I want to know everything.

I think that ship sailed long ago and there is no expectation of mid-levels having prior professional experience in their chosen specialty any more.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's no expectation of midlevels providing quality care currently. Some do because they've made the conscious choice to recognize that their basic training is deficient, but that's not the norm. Don't expect that to change.

Reactions: 1 user
sadly, you could say the exact same thing about psychiatrists :(

Ahh yes, that age-old question of "Which you would rather be treated by... an un(der)skilled nurse, or un(der)skilled doctor?"

There are NPs that I trust implicitly and there are some I will not work with. And I can say the same thing about psychiatrists. You know, when you cross cover an NP and think "good god!, what where they thinking", or when you cross cover an MD and think "good god, what where they thinking".
I do think that the experience requirements for NPs could be better.

I do think that the experience requirements for NPs could be better.
As could consistent standards of training.

If someone made it through medical school and psychiatry residency, I may not know if they are any good, but I have a good idea of what they should know. Training is fairly similar.

NP training is a crapshoot and likely to become moreso with increasing volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jules based on that, there won't be enogh psychiatrists to clean up their messes.

Doctors brought this on themselves by not going into psychiatry in sufficient numbers and those who did mostly didn't want to work in community mental health clinics, so the market has found a cheaper alternative. I would like to see more research on solid practice models for psychiatrists working together with midlevels/advanced practice providers/whatever. They are certainly not going away, any more than CRNAs are going to stop providing anesthesia care to millions of patients.

A nice playground for forensic psychiatrists and lawyers in the making.
ImageUploadedBySDN1492995574.510168.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Doctors brought this on themselves by not going into psychiatry in sufficient numbers and those who did mostly didn't want to work in community mental health clinics, so the market has found a cheaper alternative

The same could be said of every medical specialty except maybe pathology. Shortage of physicians everywhere that want to work in community/low paying centers.