COMLEX - Vertebral Artery Occlusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clinicall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can explain this to me.

I have a question that says a patient becomes dizzy and nauseated when she is rotated and side-bent right. If I understand this correctly, rotating and side-bending her right will occlude her left vertebral artery. The answer is that she likely has an insufficiency of her LEFT vertebral artery. What I'm assuming is that the left is partially narrowed, and that narrowing it further completely occludes it and reduces all blood flow on the left side.

My question is if the RIGHT vertebral artery was insufficient (i.e. narrowed in some way), wouldn't occluding the left cause the same symptoms? My reasoning is that both vertebral arteries anastamose to form the basilar artery.

Members don't see this ad.

If her right vertebral artery is insufficient, and you partially occlude her left vertebral artery by side bending/rotation - she would experience no symptoms since shes getting blood from her right and her left vertebral arteries. I dont think that rotation and side bending completely occlude anything, only partially. Her symptoms come from the partial occlusion, of an already occluded artery.

At least thats what I think.