COMLEX PE - worried :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, not to hijack the thread but I was wondering, does anyone know if the new score automatically gets uploaded on the ERAS or do I have to manually do something or contact someone to ensure that my passing score is now posted? Thank you!

You have to hit Resend scores button in ERAS

Members don't see this ad.

Also, not to hijack the thread but I was wondering, does anyone know if the new score automatically gets uploaded on the ERAS or do I have to manually do something or contact someone to ensure that my passing score is now posted? Thank you!
Your score will automatically be available to only you in ERAS. You have to tell ERAS to release all your currently available scores to the programs.

ERAS is a live database now, so you don't have to tell programs to "download your latest scores" anymore. After you release, the scores will just show up the next time they log in or hit refresh.

Programs usually assemble a paper dossier on you about 2 weeks ahead of time. Thus if you go on interviews in those 2 weeks right after you release your score, you can tell them in person you passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was checking all afternoon today in the middle of lunch at the interview

Yeah, I tried not to think about it until after. Then managed to forget until I randomly remembered an hour later.

Very relieved. Way more stress with this than waiting on the written exam results for sure.

What resources do people mainly use for this?

There's really just 2 books, the FA CS book (mini cases are awesome) or the JBReview PE book by Kauffman. Either should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
What resources do people mainly use for this?

I used the combank videos (generally these videos are good if not overkill for the actual test) and I read two cases from First Aid before getting really bored and stopping lol practicing a few is you're best way to prep!

Honestly, my best prep was an FM or EM rotation. That's going to nail the biomechanical stuff, and being a decent human being gets you the humanistic part.

I'd still read the cases in JBReview book to maybe get the flow, but I thought the Combank videos were overkill.

Can one choose to not release their PE score on ERAS since most ACGME program don't care about it and only care about Step1/Level1 and Step2/Level2?

The possibility of failing PE is making me consider taking it after I have submitted my ERAS so it won't affect my interviews, but if there's a way to not release the PE score, then I'll just take the damn test ASAP and get it out of the way.

Can one choose to not release their PE score on ERAS since most ACGME program don't care about it and only care about Step1/Level1 and Step2/Level2?

The possibility of failing PE is making me consider taking it after I have submitted my ERAS so it won't affect my interviews, but if there's a way to not release the PE score, then I'll just take the damn test ASAP and get it out of the way.

It is ridiculous that they do this to us. We see patients Years 1-4 and have to do OSCEs through our school. If we were terrible with patients, then our preceptors would fail us.

Reactions: 2 users

As long as you release your comlex scores before you get your PE result you can. After that they will only see it if you choose to re-release them on ERAS. I only just got my PE scores back, and at the 8 places I've interviewed so far no one has mentioned my lack of a PE score, so I suspect they don't really care about your PE results as long as you pass before you graduate.

Reactions: 1 users
It is ridiculous that they do this to us. We see patients Years 1-4 and have to do OSCEs through our school. If we were terrible with patients, then our preceptors would fail us.

6449*1295 = $8,351,455 from first time takers
322*1295 = $416,990 from the 5% of students that retake

Total $8,768,445 for the class of 2017. With schools opening and expanding, the number only goes up. So they have to pretend our clinical evaluators aren't good enough at deciding if we know how to do a basic H+P. Where else would you find this kind of high paying, cushy job?

As long as you release your comlex scores before you get your PE result you can. After that they will only see it if you choose to re-release them on ERAS. I only just got my PE scores back, and at the 8 places I've interviewed so far no one has mentioned my lack of a PE score, so I suspect they don't really care about your PE results as long as you pass before you graduate.
Thanks for this response. if you don't mind mentioning, what specialty are you applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)

It was not a coincidence that I took the exam slightly before the ERAS application opening day. I spent the first few interviews telling people "yeah I took it already... the results just aren't in yet". Had I failed I would have just kept retaking it until I passed and then released the suite of results. I got the vast majority of my interviews (ACGME psych) before the results were ever available.

It was not a coincidence that I took the exam slightly before the ERAS application opening day. I spent the first few interviews telling people "yeah I took it already... the results just aren't in yet". Had I failed I would have just kept retaking it until I passed and then released the suite of results. I got the vast majority of my interviews (ACGME psych) before the results were ever available.

I was in this boat. I failed and had to release. Plus, my school specifically put my PE FAILURE in giant letters on the first page of our dean's letter and encouraged us to talk about it in our PS and address it. Applying to residency with a failure on this thing is like applying to a job interview with a felony. I met people on the interview trail with worst board scores than me who had passed this exam who had 3x as many interviews as me. So, for those trying to be "discrete", bear in mind that some DO schools, like mine, will intervene and make it seem as though you are entirely incompetent.

Keep in mind I never failed a rotation and recently was told by my attending that I was "exceptional" clinically and advanced for my level of training. I never failed a simulated patient encounter (did 18 of them) or an OSCE in medical school. I will discuss this when I discuss my retake and the exam after the match. Until then, best of luck to everyone.

In a few of the interviews I've been on, they were a little hesitant about my lack of a score, and two of the PDs specifically told me to contact them as soon as it released. So not having it as part of your application may also flag you.

I had the impression from both programs that I have a pretty good shot at them, but they had to make sure I was going to graduate before ranking me. But maybe I'm just being overconfident.

I passed! To say that I am relieved is an understatement. I am so happy that I get to graduate.

That being said, I will address my experience and what I learned from it to help future test takers. I will address this in full and my experience in full after the match. Best of luck to everyone taking this exam.
Congrats! I'm really happy for you, and no doubt you've earned it.

I made sure to have my app in before scores came out. I have heard from a few PDs (ACGME) that they need it for ranking.

If I failed it, I would have been in trouble though, because I had very little time to retake before rank lists are due. I think the best time to take it is August/early Sept if you're worried, because that's early enough to retake, but late enough for scores not to be out by the time apps go out.

Can anyone give some advice on the SOAP Note portion and how bad it can actually be. I am a bit worried (still have not received my score yet) over whether or not my SOAP notes will make the cut. My objective, assessment, and plan were more or less always complete but when I finally got to my subjective part of the note I would be rushed for time. Can't remember if my actual HPI had any relevant information besides two or three sentences but i always included the rest of the subjective portion (ROS, FH, PMH, SocHX, SurgHX, medications, allergies) Does anyone have any input on the SOAP note section or words of wisdom so I can maybe stop freaking out so much about this exam. Any help would be appreciated.

Can anyone give some advice on the SOAP Note portion and how bad it can actually be. I am a bit worried (still have not received my score yet) over whether or not my SOAP notes will make the cut. My objective, assessment, and plan were more or less always complete but when I finally got to my subjective part of the note I would be rushed for time. Can't remember if my actual HPI had any relevant information besides two or three sentences but i always included the rest of the subjective portion (ROS, FH, PMH, SocHX, SurgHX, medications, allergies) Does anyone have any input on the SOAP note section or words of wisdom so I can maybe stop freaking out so much about this exam. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, SPs give you appropriate information, not too much that you can't write. Most of my patients were negative for PMHx PSHX FHX etc so it's just NONE. All my HPI had 3 sentences, rarely more than 3. Just go through CODIERS thing and then end with Denies Cp, Sob ... blah blah

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My worry is that my SOAP note isn't that good. I already took the exam and for the life of my can't remember what I even included in the Subjective portion of the exam. Felt like I did not document everything I asked in the room. The timing was just so fast I feel like I left a lot out of the subjective portion. Does anyone else have similar experiences and it ended up being okay? or did anyone fail the SOAP note writing portion and know why. I feel like my other areas were fine- its really just my subjective portion where I did not have time to document the entire HPI bc I was so caught up on trying to finish and get the rest of the subjective portion filled out with medications allergies pmh etc.

My worry is that my SOAP note isn't that good. I already took the exam and for the life of my can't remember what I even included in the Subjective portion of the exam. Felt like I did not document everything I asked in the room. The timing was just so fast I feel like I left a lot out of the subjective portion. Does anyone else have similar experiences and it ended up being okay? or did anyone fail the SOAP note writing portion and know why. I feel like my other areas were fine- its really just my subjective portion where I did not have time to document the entire HPI bc I was so caught up on trying to finish and get the rest of the subjective portion filled out with medications allergies pmh etc.

Everyone feels that way, it's just a torturous wait. Most people fail humanistic domain, not biomedical so as long as you washed your hand, smiled, and showed concern and empathy, you will be find

You're fine. 2-3 sentences for hpi is enough, especially if you documented all the other subjective info (PMHx, PSHx, SocHx, Meds, All, etc.). I tried to include an ROS either as a stand alone section or as a "Patient denies..." sentence. There were times (2 notes), where I ran out of time with the HPI and didn't write all or even most of the other subjective info and still passed.

Question for those that took it:

- Im confused as to how to approach the plan. Should I designate plan for each Ddx or just list in bullet format? Im used to doing bullet format. For example

Example 1: plan per DDx
Assessment:
1. Anxiety induced forgetfulness
2. age related changes
3. Dementia
4. Vitamin deficiency

Plan:
1. Benzodiazepine PRN; discuss reducing stressors in life next visit
2. Reassurance; Discuss keeping mental exercises like crossword.
3. MMS Exam next visit
4. CBC, CMP, Folate, B12

Example 2: bullet format
Assessment:
- Anxiety induced forgetfulness
- dementia
- vitamin deficiency

Plan:
- MMS exam next visit
- CBC, CMP, Folate, B12 levels
- Reassurance and discuss mental exercises
- Plan to discuss stress reduction next visit
- followup 2 weeks

I listed the Assessment as [Symptom]: [DDx in decreasing order of likelihood].

And the Plan as the same way. You need to split it by complaint so you don't miss the health care promotion they're so big on.

Question for those that took it:

- Im confused as to how to approach the plan. Should I designate plan for each Ddx or just list in bullet format? Im used to doing bullet format. For example

Example 1: plan per DDx
Assessment:
1. Anxiety induced forgetfulness
2. age related changes
3. Dementia
4. Vitamin deficiency

Plan:
1. Benzodiazepine PRN; discuss reducing stressors in life next visit
2. Reassurance; Discuss keeping mental exercises like crossword.
3. MMS Exam next visit
4. CBC, CMP, Folate, B12

Example 2: bullet format
Assessment:
- Anxiety induced forgetfulness
- dementia
- vitamin deficiency

Plan:
- MMS exam next visit
- CBC, CMP, Folate, B12 levels
- Reassurance and discuss mental exercises
- Plan to discuss stress reduction next visit
- followup 2 weeks

I listed numbers. Made sure to include "smoker", "alcohol use/abuse", "health maintenance", etc. Just list enough.

Also, I wouldn't jump to the prn benzos for suspected anxiety. Maybe "counseled on stress relief and calming exercises", "discussed possibility of medications (ssri vs. benzos) if symptoms persist" etc. etc. Or start with an SSRI and then followup. I doubt it would affect you on the test though if you did prn benzos.

Just took mine. Felt like crap. Is it automatic failure if the proctors had to knock on my door after the 14min was up? I merely took 15seconds to explain the patient my plan and asked if they had questions and thanked them. In the COMBANK videos Kauffman says it's okay to do this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Just took mine. Felt like crap. Is it automatic failure if the proctors had to knock on my door after the 14min was up? I merely took 15seconds to explain the patient my plan and asked if they had questions and thanked them. In the COMBANK videos Kauffman says it's okay to do this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

You will be fine. 15 sec is more than enough as long as you explained something

They knocked on my door almost every time while I was finishing up my plan. Ended up passing, you'll be fine I'm sure! I think it's a good thing to spend all the potential time with the patient because a lot of your points come subjectively from the standardized patient. Try to be calm about it, I know it's hard though!

They knocked on my door almost every time while I was finishing up my plan. Ended up passing, you'll be fine I'm sure! I think it's a good thing to spend all the potential time with the patient because a lot of your points come subjectively from the standardized patient. Try to be calm about it, I know it's hard though!

thank you!

for all of you stressing out about this... I failed the PE last year and still matched into my number one- a competitive speciality albeit in the AOA match. It definitely will hurt your application if you fail, but it is by no means a deal breaker. its a BS test. most PDs know this

I'm scared ****less about this test. Holy F.

edit: Took mine already in early Jan. I cannot wait to know if I passed. Why do we have to wait 8-10 weeks? Seems arbitrarily long

I'm scared ****less about this test. Holy F.

edit: Took mine already in early Jan. I cannot wait to know if I passed. Why do we have to wait 8-10 weeks? Seems arbitrarily long
The waiting is the worst part. Everyone feels terrible and like they failed for awhile. Chances are you passed, so try not to let it bug you.

Anyone that took the COMLEX PE during December and waiting for scores to be release next week? Most likely neurotic but I swear the ending range for the score release was Feb 5th not 9th..just check today and it was the 9th. 4 more extra days of torture.

They will almost always release on a Thursday.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Anyone that took the COMLEX PE during December and waiting for scores to be release next week? Most likely neurotic but I swear the ending range for the score release was Feb 5th not 9th..just check today and it was the 9th. 4 more extra days of torture.

Waiting!

How critical is it to not write the chief complaint separately from the HPI? At my school we had the choice of either writing it separately at the beginning vs paraphrase it in the HPI. On my PE, for most cases I did the latter.

How critical is it to not write the chief complaint separately from the HPI? At my school we had the choice of either writing it separately at the beginning vs paraphrase it in the HPI. On my PE, for most cases I did the latter.
Prob not critical

Can I withdraw my test from scoring after I took it? I can just retake it and not get the "F".

I feel like I failed. I really do.

I used medical jargon, which I could tell annoyed patients. I also failed to properly relate to patients who were pretending to be in pain - like in the ED setting. I failed to see them as real patients. Also often skipped a lot of stuff in the history - like asking the surgical history or parts of the social history which I felt were less relevant. Sometimes skipped the heart and lung exam due to lack of time.

I really might have failed. I am also a minority and I felt that some of the patients didn't really like that. It was an uphill battle everytime to get the patients to like me. = /

So what does it take for someone to fail?
It just really seems random. I've known a few people who have failed, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

They'll give you a card if it's a strike

I doubt it will matter

I just took mine today and I'm really worried there were a few times I documented "cranial nerves 3-12 intact" and didnt realize til thr last few cases that i had forgotten to check either cranial nerve 8 or 11 on some of them but I still documented it out of habit. I was so nervous I didn't even realize until the end. Is this a violation?