General Admissions & OTCAS Columbia University MSOT- Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got waitlisted as well but accepted another offer. Hope all of you have an amazing time being OTs!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted!!
Overall GPA: 3.32
Overall Prereq: 3.68
Science Prered: 3.56

Extra Curricululars: founder & president of a club at my school, volunteered abroad for 2 months with inner-city children, and taught public health in rural villages abroad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted! What do you guys think about asking to sit in on a class in the next few weeks? Good idea or awkward? Just want to see where all my $$$ is going before I make the commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know where we find the CU ID/ UNI? I see it's required for a lot of stuff and yet after searching keep coming up empty handed.

Accepted! What do you guys think about asking to sit in on a class in the next few weeks? Good idea or awkward? Just want to see where all my $$$ is going before I make the commitment.

I think that's a good idea! I don't see why they wouldn't let you...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also, does anyone know where we find the CU ID/ UNI? I see it's required for a lot of stuff and yet after searching keep coming up empty handed.

Probably a few weeks after you send your deposit.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know if there is a facebook page for the incoming class??

Yeah I was thinking about asking to sit in a class

If there's not we should make one

I just tried to make one but facebook won't let me because I need to add at least one person's name to the group besides my own and I don't know any of y'alls names haha

anyone have any idea how many people are on the wait list???? i got wait listed on friday

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lol yeah I'm on the same boat, stony and columbia...besides the cost, the programs have a one year difference so there is that
What other schools are you looking at?

I was accepted at Columbia on Friday. So so torn between Columbia and Stony Brook right now! The cost of Columbia is what gets me....

Last edited:
Hi!

I've been accepted to Columbia for fall 2017 and i was wondering if any current students could provide some insight on the schedule. I'm from NJ and planning on commuting, so I was wondering what the general class schedule was like. Are classes generally back to back or more spread out. Also, are the during the day/later in the afternoon/at night

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet? They said after mid April...

Oddly enough, I received mine on Monday shortly after verifying that I wouldn't be attending Columbia...

Wow. Maybe I should contact them... did you receive any scholarship? Or was it strictly loans? I'm also probably going to reject. I don't think they're gunna be generous

Wow. Maybe I should contact them... did you receive any scholarship? Or was it strictly loans? I'm also probably going to reject. I don't think they're gunna be generous

I only revived loan money disappointing because I have such a high gpa that I thought I would get some merit scholarship

I only revived loan money disappointing because I have such a high gpa that I thought I would get some merit scholarship

Yea I don't think they do merit based scholarships. I spoke with the financial advisor and she said I should receive mine next week. If I don't receive a large amount (which is unlikely) I will not attend. I got accepted at another school that cost less than half the cost.

It's sucks that i got in but can't attend due to cost. No school is worth that huge price tag..it's just OT school. I don't want to die with debt

How were you informed that your financial aid was available?

I received $2,500 for the year and the rest was loans, which wasn't really enough to sway my feelings. I too spoke with a financial advisor and, based on that, was not expecting anything. Love the program and super grateful to have been accepted...but it's just not gonna work financially.

i haven't received anything welp

has anyone gotten OFF the wait list yet??

Reactions: 1 users
What other schools are you looking at?

I was accepted at Columbia on Friday. So so torn between Columbia and Stony Brook right now! The cost of Columbia is what gets me....
Hi,
Do you mind telling your Stats? Also, I'm applying for the 2018 cycle and was wondering how much time you spent on Columbia's essays.

Thanks so much!

Hi!

I've been accepted to Columbia for fall 2017 and i was wondering if any current students could provide some insight on the schedule. I'm from NJ and planning on commuting, so I was wondering what the general class schedule was like. Are classes generally back to back or more spread out. Also, are the during the day/later in the afternoon/at night
Hi,
Do you mind telling your Stats? Also, I'm applying for the 2018 cycle and was wondering how much time you spent on Columbia's essays.

Thanks so much!

Hi,

Thanks so much!
Current student here, and I modified an essay that I had used for the other OT schools to fit the prompt of Columbia's. So I didn't really spend too much time on it. Once I started my application, I think I sent in my app within a week or two. My tip is to pick something unique about one or two of your experiences and expand upon it and how that'll be beneficial for an OT program. Looking at the demographics and background of my fellow classmates, this program looks for a diverse group of well-rounded individuals.

Current student here, and I modified an essay that I had used for the other OT schools to fit the prompt of Columbia's. So I didn't really spend too much time on it. Once I started my application, I think I sent in my app within a week or two. My tip is to pick something unique about one or two of your experiences and expand upon it and how that'll be beneficial for an OT program. Looking at the demographics and background of my fellow classmates, this program looks for a diverse group of well-rounded individuals.

Oh ok, that's good. I spent a lot of time on both of my essays so I hope that helps.

I was a UCLA Sociology major-3.8 cum gpa and a 3.8 pre-req gpa so far, with a physio class still in progress.

I have about 705 observation hours in 6 different settings (pediatric, Hospital, Snf, Hand Rehab, orphanage in India for children with disabilities )

Work Experience- OT aide, behavior therapist, caregiver, personal support worker for a boy with Aspergers, Medical clinic marketer

Extra Curricular- VP of OT club, VP of culture club and on the board for various clubs: red cross, student with disabilities club, saving hearts (awareness for cardiac arrest), globemed, project health and volunteer for Special Olympics

Honors-Deans List, Cum Laude, Phi theta kappa honors society, Golden Key Honors Society, Alpha Kappa Delta Honors Society.

I'm just nervous. haha I submitted my app on October 19th, Deadline is December 1st and January for materials. I got an email for the peliminary-pre-req checklist today and they said I need to send a syllabus for English Comp and Developmental psych even though it covered lifespan. I don't really know why they need it for English comp. I took it two years ago and don't even know if I can find a syllabus so I'm just freaking out a little. I emailed my teacher for them so I'm just waiting for a response back. Also for my anatomy class, it included a 4-hour lab w/ cadavers but I didn't have to enroll in a separate lab class. I just send her a course description of the this since these are how the Anatomy class are offered at this school, hopefully, it will be fine. I just really want to get in lol.

I got in too! But I would like some insight on how financial aid works. I would love to go here but it's just so costly. Anyone know how much financial aid they usually give?
do you mind sharing your stats?

Hi,

I'm applying for the 2018 cycle and just received a pre-req checklist, Jessica put on the checklist that I need to send a syllabus for English composition and developmental psych. I sent her the syllabi and CPR certification, clarifying the incomplete areas. I just haven't received an email back, so I'm getting a little nervous. I just don't want them to reject me for a misunderstanding. Anyone have this problem? I applied October 19th and the deadline is December 1st and January 1st for transcripts.

Oh ok, that's good. I spent a lot of time on both of my essays so I hope that helps.

I was a UCLA Sociology major-3.8 cum gpa and a 3.8 pre-req gpa so far, with a physio class still in progress.

I have about 705 observation hours in 6 different settings (pediatric, Hospital, Snf, Hand Rehab, orphanage in India for children with disabilities )

Work Experience- OT aide, behavior therapist, caregiver, personal support worker for a boy with Aspergers, Medical clinic marketer

Extra Curricular- VP of OT club, VP of culture club and on the board for various clubs: red cross, student with disabilities club, saving hearts (awareness for cardiac arrest), globemed, project health and volunteer for Special Olympics

Honors-Deans List, Cum Laude, Phi theta kappa honors society, Golden Key Honors Society, Alpha Kappa Delta Honors Society.

I'm just nervous. haha I submitted my app on October 19th, Deadline is December 1st and January for materials. I got an email for the peliminary-pre-req checklist today and they said I need to send a syllabus for English Comp and Developmental psych even though it covered lifespan. I don't really know why they need it for English comp. I took it two years ago and don't even know if I can find a syllabus so I'm just freaking out a little. I emailed my teacher for them so I'm just waiting for a response back. Also for my anatomy class, it included a 4-hour lab w/ cadavers but I didn't have to enroll in a separate lab class. I just send her a course description of the this since these are how the Anatomy class are offered at this school, hopefully, it will be fine. I just really want to get in lol.

i'm sure it will be fine! Yeah Jessica sent me a pre-req checklist too when i applied and it was a good way for me to see what they received and what is still pending. I had a class in progress when i applied, so she sent me that checklist which showed they didn't have the grade. and i just sent her the grade afterwards.
The english comp they need to see what kind of writing was covered in your course, writing is very important in OT school! I would just send her those syllabi as soon as you are able to get them. I had to email a couple professors to get a syllabus too, its normal. In the meantime, if your school has a website where there is a description of the course, you could send the course description and say you are waiting for the professor to get back to you with a copy of the syllabus. Or maybe if you know another student that took that class, ask if they can send you the syllabus of the class. Good luck!

Hi! I was just accepted to Columbia for the fall! For those of you who ended up attending I was wondering how you like it / what you are doing for housing / if you would do anything differently

Thank you!

Congratulations!! How were you notified on your acceptance?

I was notified by email telling me to check my portal for a decision ! Thank you
The suspense!!! Do you know if they send all the acceptances at once or if they are spread out? No word yet from them

The suspense!!! Do you know if they send all the acceptances at once or if they are spread out? No word yet from them

There is a 2018 thread and the responses were scattered starting about 2 weeks ago! They come in waves