General Admissions & OTCAS Columbia University MSOT- Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to those who've been accepted! I'm still anxiously waiting and I feel more discouraged by the day :( I've been denied and waitlist almost everywhere I applied and the stress of applying is a lot which makes me not want to try again next year if nothing works out this time around. Not sure if anyone is in the same boat as me...but keeping my fingers crossed!
I know exactly how you feel. This is my second year applying, so far I've been denied at 1 school, waitlisted at 3. So waiting on Columbia & Seton Hall. Trying to stay positive & hope for the best

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
QUESTION
i see columbia accepts 50 students..does that mean ill be in class with 50 students or do they divide the 50 up ?

Where did you find that number? For some reason I thought I had previously read the class size is 140.

Members don't see this ad :)
QUESTION
i see columbia accepts 50 students..does that mean ill be in class with 50 students or do they divide the 50 up ?

You'll be in a class of about 50 students give or take. I think our class is around 53-55 total. We all take all of our classes together on the same schedule except for those who are 3 year students. They only take some of the classes with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to those who've been accepted! I'm still anxiously waiting and I feel more discouraged by the day :( I've been denied and waitlist almost everywhere I applied and the stress of applying is a lot which makes me not want to try again next year if nothing works out this time around. Not sure if anyone is in the same boat as me...but keeping my fingers crossed!

Even if you are waitlisted, don't give up! I was waitlisted and so were many others! One person even found out during day 2 of orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
I know exactly how you feel. This is my second year applying, so far I've been denied at 1 school, waitlisted at 3. So waiting on Columbia & Seton Hall. Trying to stay positive & hope for the best

Third year applying...you guys are not alone lol. I've been told by OTs and PTs that it's common to not be accepted the first time (or two) around. There are just so many qualified applicants and not enough seats in these programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Still haven't heard anything either. Getting anxious :/

You'll be in a class of about 50 students give or take. I think our class is around 53-55 total. We all take all of our classes together on the same schedule except for those who are 3 year students. They only take some of the classes with you.

Just curious - do you know how many people typically apply to the program?

For anyone who has accepted admission, do you know where you plan to find housing?

I live 3 hours away from Columbia but I'm technically in the tri-state area so I may not get housing. I also don't know if living on campus would be cheaper than finding a place near the health sciences campus, so it may not even be worth it.

I live four hours away I'm planning on applying for student housing. Just seems easier than finding a place/roommate, plus many of the school buildings include utilities. Those not in the tri state area actually have priority over those who are. However if you don't want to live on campus the housing department can help you find off campus housing as well.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody else have anything classes outstanding
I have child development and my CPR course

For anyone who has accepted admission, do you know where you plan to find housing?

I live 3 hours away from Columbia but I'm technically in the tri-state area so I may not get housing. I also don't know if living on campus would be cheaper than finding a place near the health sciences campus, so it may not even be worth it.

I will most likely House on campus. I'm from Los Angeles.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone applied for the NYC Department of Education occupational scholarship? I don't understand, because it asks for clinical affiliations in order to apply, but it's supposed to give you a scholarship to go to school where you get clinical affiliations?

Anyone else still waiting to hear back?

Reactions: 5 users
I'm also waiting on Columbia and Seton Hall

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

for those who have been accepted, did you guys graduate already?

Is anyone doing the dual degree at Columbia for MSOT and MPH? I got in for the MSOT but was wondering how the MPH application process is.

Is anyone doing the dual degree at Columbia for MSOT and MPH? I got in for the MSOT but was wondering how the MPH application process is.

I still haven't heard back yet, but I've been thinking if I do get accepted, and decide to attend, that I will apply for the MPH during my first year there.

For those that have gotten in to Columbia... Congrats!! When do you guys have to let them know and submit the deposit? Is there a waitlist for Columbia as well? If so, how many people usually get in for the waitlist?

For those that have gotten in to Columbia... Congrats!! When do you guys have to let them know and submit the deposit? Is there a waitlist for Columbia as well? If so, how many people usually get in for the waitlist?

I had to make my decision and send in my deposit by the 1st

Last edited:
Anyone else checking their Columbia portal every chance they get for an update? :(

Reactions: 4 users
This wait is so painful! I just wanna know what I'm doing with my life after graduation lol

Reactions: 4 users
same boat

I just called, and was told that they are still reviewing applications, and are aiming to be done (tentatively) by the end of next week.

Just received my acceptance! Has anyone made their decision on attending?

I just found out I've been placed on the waitlist. Does anyone have any experience or know of the chances of getting accepted off the waitlist?

I also got denied. Actually really shocked I did. I will be attending D' Youville or Seton Hall if I get in