General Admissions & OTCAS Columbia University MSOT- Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a second year student. As far as I know, there is little in terms of scholarships but they offer loans through the school. We don't have the same funding the undergrad does. If you have questions, I'd contact the financial aid office.

It's a great program, so in my opinion, the cost is worth it! We have amazing professors who are very well known in the field. We also only pay a fee (few hundred) for fieldwork instead of paying a few thousand dollars for fieldwork. When you graduate, Columbia covers the cost of study materials for the NBCOT offered through AOTA as an included cost in your tuition. We had also just built a brand new lab just for OT that has overhead cameras to help ensure everyone can see demonstrations, new tables, and tubs and other household items to help practice transfers and ADLs.

I love this program and can't imagine going anywhere else.

In your opinion, is this program competitive? I don't mean to get in to, I mean is there a sense of competition among the students? Also, what's your sense of the difficulty level? Is it "omg I'm dying and stressed" hard or is it manageable? The curriculum also obviously seems very research focused. In your opinion, is the focus on research reasonable, or is it overwhelming in the curriculum? Of course this is a great school so I'm heavily considering accepting, but I'm personally more interested in being a clinician rather than researcher or supervisor, so I want to make sure it's a good fit. Any insight you're willing to share are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So the cost for just tuition and program assoc fees for both years is about 97k ...this cost includes books, supplies, and AOTA membership dues.

The cost breakdown they provide also includes housing, food, and misc expenses like laundry & clothing...etc. when you factor this in it comes out to about 150k for both years.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's a 65 credit program and its $1,782 per credit. So tuition alone comes out to be about a little over $115,000.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm idk... I used the cost breakdown table from the CU OT website... I also spoke to a current student who told me they now charge a flat fee for each semester. About 20k/sem. & there are 4 plus 2 summer sessions. However they don't charge for fieldwork only an admin fee.

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/finaid/pdf/15-16/OTbg1516Y1.pdf

This is for 15-16, next fall will be 17-18. So I think your numbers are probably closer to $22-24K a semester.

In your opinion, is this program competitive? I don't mean to get in to, I mean is there a sense of competition among the students? Also, what's your sense of the difficulty level? Is it "omg I'm dying and stressed" hard or is it manageable? The curriculum also obviously seems very research focused. In your opinion, is the focus on research reasonable, or is it overwhelming in the curriculum? Of course this is a great school so I'm heavily considering accepting, but I'm personally more interested in being a clinician rather than researcher or supervisor, so I want to make sure it's a good fit. Any insight you're willing to share are appreciated!

It is competitive at first, but its more because people are trying to prove to themselves that they can do it and not about bringing other people down. As you go through the program, it gets less and less competitive and less stressful. You become confident in your own abilities. The program does its best to foster a sense of community and encourages people to share study guides and resources.

It is certainly challenging but manageable. That being said, be aware of what support you need and don't be afraid to seek help. Columbia provides 10 free counseling sessions (use them) and free wellness meetings (use them).

Columbia is great for being a clinician. It is very hands on and focused on that. Research and supervisions are routes you can take if you decide to, but it focused on preparing excellent clinicians. We emphasize using research in practice and evidence based practice, but that makes educated and well-rounded clinicians. We do not engage in a lot of research unless you choose to do so. I do not like doing research and I do not feel the program is focused on producing researchers. We have a lot of fieldwork, volunteer opportunities, and labs. Columbia focuses on getting students out and into the community and practicing on real clients. It is what you make it! I couldn't be happier with this program.

It is competitive at first, but its more because people are trying to prove to themselves that they can do it and not about bringing other people down. As you go through the program, it gets less and less competitive and less stressful. You become confident in your own abilities. The program does its best to foster a sense of community and encourages people to share study guides and resources.

It is certainly challenging but manageable. That being said, be aware of what support you need and don't be afraid to seek help. Columbia provides 10 free counseling sessions (use them) and free wellness meetings (use them).

Columbia is great for being a clinician. It is very hands on and focused on that. Research and supervisions are routes you can take if you decide to, but it focused on preparing excellent clinicians. We emphasize using research in practice and evidence based practice, but that makes educated and well-rounded clinicians. We do not engage in a lot of research unless you choose to do so. I do not like doing research and I do not feel the program is focused on producing researchers. We have a lot of fieldwork, volunteer opportunities, and labs. Columbia focuses on getting students out and into the community and practicing on real clients. It is what you make it! I couldn't be happier with this program.

I am feeling a bit wary not about Columbia's program but about student life. I recently visited the main campus and loved the area but when driving through the medical campus I was a little nervous about whether it would be a good fit for me. Would you mind providing some insight on what day to day life is like in the program? Do you go to main campus often? Would I have free time for a part time job? Are there a lot of younger people (20s) or fun places to go in the area of the medical campus? Do you often go more into the city (midtown area) and if so is it difficult? I know the program is going to be very time consuming but I just want to know if I will be able to lead a somewhat balanced life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Thank you so much for this information, I really appreciate it! That's really helpful. If you don'r mind, I would also be interested to hear your response to Edrisk93's question. Thank you! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Is Columbia really worth the 150K debt? I heard that if a school is more than 100k it's not worth it. I've also heard all an employer cares about is whether you have your OT license, not where you got it?

I know how you feel I am in a dilemma trying to justify the cost. I agree that school doesn't matter however I feel like Columbia might open doors and get you a job in a non profit or government agency much quicker...which would then absolve any and all debt after 120 payments.

do you guys think its a bad idea if i contact columbia asking to expedite my decision because, I have an offer from another schools and they want their decision in a week

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Columbia really worth the 150K debt? I heard that if a school is more than 100k it's not worth it. I've also heard all an employer cares about is whether you have your OT license, not where you got it?

Where did you get the 150k from? Were you just making a general statement and including living and other costs in addition to tuition?

I know how you feel I am in a dilemma trying to justify the cost. I agree that school doesn't matter however I feel like Columbia might open doors and get you a job in a non profit or government agency much quicker...which would then absolve any and all debt after 120 payments.

I hear ya...I already paid my deposit for a smaller, somewhat less expensive program but am still seeing things through (applying for financial aid) for Columbia. I submitted my materials last week but have no idea if I'll hear anything before the deposit is due...

do you guys think its a bad idea if i contact columbia asking to expedite my decision because, I have an offer from another schools and they want their decision in a week

I think you should! TBH I believe most decisions have been made. When I clicked the link with my acceptance it said decision available until 3/21... it seems like they already had my decision up but I couldn't see it until that date

I hear ya...I already paid my deposit for a smaller, somewhat less expensive program but am still seeing things through (applying for financial aid) for Columbia. I submitted my materials last week but have no idea if I'll hear anything before the deposit is due...

I contacted a financial aid rep and she said we won't know our financial aid package until mid April

I think you should! TBH I believe most decisions have been made. When I clicked the link with my acceptance it said decision available until 3/21... it seems like they already had my decision up but I couldn't see it until that date

Should I email or call lol

When I contacted them I left a voicemail saying I emailed them HAHA ....they take their time getting back but maybe it will be quicker now since they're just sending out acceptances!

Has anyone else still have not heard back yet? I am still waiting and submitted my application in October...

i called them, she said this week and next week they are wrapping it up

Has anyone else still have not heard back yet? I am still waiting and submitted my application in October...
I haven't heard anything either! This is the last school i'm waiting on

i called them, she said this week and next week they are wrapping it up

Thank goodness, it's taken long enough! I'm in the same boat as you, a school i got accepted to needs a deposit by April 10th. I've also only seen people posting acceptances on here... I know the e-mail we got told us to not think the delay in decision will affect what the outcome would be but no one has really said they've been rejected or waitlisted..

How much is deposit ??
And watch them send out the rejections all at the same time

Thank goodness, it's taken long enough! I'm in the same boat as you, a school i got accepted to needs a deposit by April 10th. I've also only seen people posting acceptances on here... I know the e-mail we got told us to not think the delay in decision will affect what the outcome would be but no one has really said they've been rejected or waitlisted..
I'm in the same boat...I haven't heard anything either. But I know of a couple of people who did get rejections already even in the first week. So I do think that they are sending out decisions randomly.

Just to ease everyone's fear, we had a meeting with the director last week and she told they are still making decisions and if you haven't heard yet it does not mean that you have not been accepted of that you won't be accepted!!

We only have a couple women working in the office answering emails and phone calls for both the OT and PT department so please be patient with them. The online system is also not perfect so it can cause delays they can't control for. Many if the staff will be out of town this week for the OT Conference so keep that in mind as well.

I doubt you'll go 150k in debt btw. Many people babysit or work a flexible part time job and there are work study programs that pay well. Our program is very well known and everyone has heard of Columbia the school even if they aren't familiar with the program. I've never heard of anyone from our program having an issue getting g a job.

I am feeling a bit wary not about Columbia's program but about student life. I recently visited the main campus and loved the area but when driving through the medical campus I was a little nervous about whether it would be a good fit for me. Would you mind providing some insight on what day to day life is like in the program? Do you go to main campus often? Would I have free time for a part time job? Are there a lot of younger people (20s) or fun places to go in the area of the medical campus? Do you often go more into the city (midtown area) and if so is it difficult? I know the program is going to be very time consuming but I just want to know if I will be able to lead a somewhat balanced life.

New York is what you make it honestly. I live near the campus, but I am involved in activities that take me other places on the island. I also go out to Broadway shows and dinner relatively often. Some people go out more than others. I rarely go to main campus. I never have a need to. Many like to study there. When you're on campus, you're in class, so it isn't like you're spending a ton of free time just hanging out on campus. A popular place to live is around the 145 150s where lots of young people live and it isn't far from campus. There is the A and 1 train right on campus so it's pretty easy to get downtown. We have a lot of commuters though.

Lots of people babysit to make money. I have a work study job and do research studies to make money. So there are options. As long as you seek out opportunities, you'll have a balance lifestyle. I play in a symphonic band and play in the CUMC orchestra when they have concerts. There are quite a few clubs on campus and Columbia. I always just enjoy relaxing too and walking around Central Park. You're in class or fieldwork at least 4/5 days during the week.

For those of you definitely attending, is anyone going to get on campus housing? Or are most of you going to find your own apartment?

For those of you definitely attending, is anyone going to get on campus housing? Or are most of you going to find your own apartment?

I'm going to apply for campus housing seems like it would be cheaper than finding my own place

I'm also still waiting to hear something. Hopefully we all hear back this week!

I am mailing my deposit today!

Best of luck to those waiting to hear back

I just received an email re: pre-reqs stating that I would need to retake my psych course (took it ~12 years ago)...when I called the office, the admin said that yes, that would be the case, but no, the email was not indicative of an acceptance. Has this happened to anyone else?

I just received an email re: pre-reqs stating that I would need to retake my psych course (took it ~12 years ago)...when I called the office, the admin said that yes, that would be the case, but no, the email was not indicative of an acceptance. Has this happened to anyone else?
Is this the preliminary prereq check list that was sent to you? I'm waiting to hear back too!

Does anyone know how to find you CU ID or UNI? Do they only give this to you after you accept?

Thanks!

Does anyone know how to find you CU ID or UNI? Do they only give this to you after you accept?

Thanks!

I have accepted but haven't reicived one yet. I called them the other day because one of the financial aid forms requires it but they said not to worry about it.

I have accepted but haven't reicived one yet. I called them the other day because one of the financial aid forms requires it but they said not to worry about it.
Oh! So they said you could send in your forms without that number? (Or that you would have the ID before the deadline so not to worry about it?)
I've been shaking down all the email addresses I could find about hoe to get one with no response. Thanks!

Oh! So they said you could send in your forms without that number? (Or that you would have the ID before the deadline so not to worry about it?)
I've been shaking down all the email addresses I could find about hoe to get one with no response. Thanks!

You can send the forms without it

We only need to email the financial aid form and the health clearance documents right? Since on the enrollment form we already state that we have read all pertaining documents...Ive only emailed the aid form so far (without the CU ID).

RE: "If you choose to enroll in our program, you will be required to indicate on the enrollment form that you have read and will abide by the terms in those documents."

Last edited by a moderator:
We only need to email the financial aid form and the health clearance documents right? Since on the enrollment form we already state that we have read all pertaining documents...Ive only emailed the aid form so far (without the CU ID).

RE: "If you choose to enroll in our program, you will be required to indicate on the enrollment form that you have read and will abide by the terms in those documents."
What's the health clearance document? The "Student Health Service Pre-Registration Brochure" seems to be due 6/29 for Fall 2017 enrollment.

I think so

Is this the preliminary prereq check list that was sent to you? I'm waiting to hear back too!
Yep - that's the one. After re-reading through this thread again I realize others were talking about the same.

QUESTION
i see columbia accepts 50 students..does that mean ill be in class with 50 students or do they divide the 50 up ?

Congrats to those who've been accepted! I'm still anxiously waiting and I feel more discouraged by the day :( I've been denied and waitlist almost everywhere I applied and the stress of applying is a lot which makes me not want to try again next year if nothing works out this time around. Not sure if anyone is in the same boat as me...but keeping my fingers crossed!

Reactions: 4 users