General Admissions & OTCAS Columbia University MSOT- Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

FORUMGAL123

:) Please comment below if you have applied, have heard anything, and your stats if you want to share.
I applied on deadline date but received a confirmation that all my transcripts were received.

Also if anyone currently attends CU, what are your thoughts on the school, cost and overall experience. Considering that Columbia has a enormous endowment, are they as generous to graduate students with their financial aid as they are with undergraduate students?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied the day before deadline date and haven't heard anything yet. They don't do interviews either. Reading back in the Columbia forums on SDN from previous application cycles, I've gathered that we probably won't hear anything until March/April.

Yea I read that. It's so nerve wracking! Is Columbia your first choice? It's quite pricey compared to other schools I've applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a second year student. As far as I know, there is little in terms of scholarships but they offer loans through the school. We don't have the same funding the undergrad does. If you have questions, I'd contact the financial aid office.

It's a great program, so in my opinion, the cost is worth it! We have amazing professors who are very well known in the field. We also only pay a fee (few hundred) for fieldwork instead of paying a few thousand dollars for fieldwork. When you graduate, Columbia covers the cost of study materials for the NBCOT offered through AOTA as an included cost in your tuition. We had also just built a brand new lab just for OT that has overhead cameras to help ensure everyone can see demonstrations, new tables, and tubs and other household items to help practice transfers and ADLs.

I love this program and can't imagine going anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea I read that. It's so nerve wracking! Is Columbia your first choice? It's quite pricey compared to other schools I've applied.

My top choices are SUNY Downstate and Stony Brook (the more affordable programs). I wouldn't be able to afford Columbia without a significant scholarship/financial aid.

Hey, I also applied too! I submitted it the day before the deadline. Haven't heard anything, and yeah I think we should hear around March (I really hope its not any later cause I hate this waiting game).

:) Please comment below if you have applied, have heard anything, and your stats if you want to share.
I applied on deadline date but received a confirmation that all my transcripts were received.

Also if anyone currently attends CU, what are your thoughts on the school, cost and overall experience. Considering that Columbia has a enormous endowment, are they as generous to graduate students with their financial aid as they are with undergraduate students?

I'm passing along information from an OT student I happened to meet through my volunteering and her LIIFW. She told me that the program is heavy on mental health, which I'm not the biggest fan of...but I watched her and she seemed very competent in her knowledge and professionalism. I'm a re-applicant and, from what I remember from last year, I received my rejection email sometime in April.

I'm passing along information from an OT student I happened to meet through my volunteering and her LIIFW. She told me that the program is heavy on mental health, which I'm not the biggest fan of...but I watched her and she seemed very competent in her knowledge and professionalism. I'm a re-applicant and, from what I remember from last year, I received my rejection email sometime in April.

Thanks for your feedback! Hope we hear good news soon! Do you know when they send out "application checklists" ?

Hey guys! I applied to Columbia and have not heard anything yet. I applied to SUNY Downstate Medical Center and had an interview January 15th. I also applied to Kean University, Seton Hall University, and New York University. I have not heard from anywhere else so far.

What checklist?? I don't know anything about that..?

I read in a previous thread that they send out checklists (on your applyyouself account) that shows if your application is complete and items they received (ex: transcripts)

Someones post (2015): "I received an email from Columbia on Feb 5, regarding preliminary prerequisite checklist. Since that, I haven't heard from them!"

i applied to columbia as well, and i been emailing them to see if i am missing anything and NO RESPONSE

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I read in a previous thread that they send out checklists (on your applyyouself account) that shows if your application is complete and items they received (ex: transcripts)

Someones post (2015): "I received an email from Columbia on Feb 5, regarding preliminary prerequisite checklist. Since that, I haven't heard from them!"

hmmm, well maybe we should be on the lookout for an e-mail from them in early February! And yeah i'm not sure how to tell if they've received my transcripts or not, because my application has said complete since i initially submitted the app (and that was before I even requested my transcripts to be sent!).

Don't fret too much about the application check list! They'll let you know if anything is missing. Just make sure you respond quickly and thuroughly if anything is missing. They have had some issues logging into the system lately because Columbia has changed their security requirements and the department only returned from break a couple weeks ago. They also typically receive around 500-600 applications, so just be patient (don't quote me on that # though) :) You may have better luck if you call the department or try to send an email during business hours. Usually staff is there from 9-4 est. They'll probably send you one whenever they get around to looking at your application.

Don't fret too much about the application check list! They'll let you know if anything is missing. Just make sure you respond quickly and thuroughly if anything is missing. They have had some issues logging into the system lately because Columbia has changed their security requirements and the department only returned from break a couple weeks ago. They also typically receive around 500-600 applications, so just be patient (don't quote me on that # though) :) You may have better luck if you call the department or try to send an email during business hours. Usually staff is there from 9-4 est. They'll probably send you one whenever they get around to looking at your application.

Thanks so much for being so forthcoming! it is really helpful for us who are stressing to hear back from schools :whistle:

i see that they are strong on mental health, what about peds?

i applied to columbia as well, and i been emailing them to see if i am missing anything and NO RESPONSE

Same here! I emailed and called several times and left messages. I just want to know if my transcripts arrived.

just letting you all know, about an hour ago I just received an e-mail from Jessica Bussey with my preliminary prerequisite checklist. Check your e-mails!

just letting you all know, about an hour ago I just received an e-mail from Jessica Bussey with my preliminary prerequisite checklist. Check your e-mails!

Havent received anything :( When did you apply?

I submitted my application probably around December 4th and received the checklist Jan. 19th. I think receiving the preliminary prerequisite checklist is arbitrary.

yeah i think the check list is something everyone should have done when submitting the application...and they would email you it, if you are missing it

yeah i think the check list is something everyone should have done when submitting the application...and they would email you it, if you are missing it

Do you know if they only send you a checklist if you're missing something? I sent in everything they need, but haven't received a checklist from them.

I just called their office because I was curious as well. They said they haven't really started to send out checklists yet and if they did, it's not really indicative of an acceptance status. If you want, you can call and they said they will get back to you later this afternoon telling you if everything is in.

I just called their office because I was curious as well. They said they haven't really started to send out checklists yet and if they did, it's not really indicative of an acceptance status. If you want, you can call and they said they will get back to you later this afternoon telling you if everything is in.
Thanks!

i see that they are strong on mental health, what about peds?

We currently have peds during year 2. We have two classes (one fall and one in the spring) and a required 10 week level 1 fieldwork in the spring. Many people often elect to do an extra level 2 fieldwork that can range from 8 to 12 weeks in peds that the program will help set up for you.

Havent received anything :( When did you apply?

I applied the day before the deadline (I think Dec. 1st). Yeah, maybe they're only sending checklists to people that were missing stuff. I had taken a prerequisite last semester and they were waiting on the final grade for that course. It was sort of just an update on the materials they had received. It was helpful though, because they hadn't received my updated transcript and so I had to send it in again.

I applied the day before the deadline (I think Dec. 1st). Yeah, maybe they're only sending checklists to people that were missing stuff. I had taken a prerequisite last semester and they were waiting on the final grade for that course. It was sort of just an update on the materials they had received. It was helpful though, because they hadn't received my updated transcript and so I had to send it in again.

Oh okay. I contacted them before and they told me they received everything including my updated transcript.

I love this program and can't imagine going anywhere else.

Thanks for your thorough response. Would you mind sharing what a typical first year schedule looks like? I've found the classes that students take, but I'd like to get a better sense of the time of day and the days in the week. Thanks!!

Do we have to complete the CPR certification if it's not marked off on the application checklist? Or can it be completed until matriculation?

Edit: nvm I found this

When is proof of CPR certification due?

It is expected that the requirement for certification in CPR (cardio pulmonary resuscitation) is met by the time you matriculate. We do not use this as part of the application process.

i received a checklist saying I'm missing developmental (Child Specifically ) I'm taking that now....my CPR...and bachelors

Did anyone hear back from Columbia??

No, I haven't received anything except the checklist. It says on the application that decisions will go out in April -__-
Such a long wait!
Has anyone contacted them to see if it will be any earlier than that?

No, I haven't received anything except the checklist. It says on the application that decisions will go out in April ?

Was the email you received about April a formal email? Or a correspondence between you and the admissions office? I received the checklist, but no mention of April. I've seen and heard of people hearing back as early as March in past years.

Was the email you received about April a formal email? Or a correspondence between you and the admissions office? I received the checklist, but no mention of April. I've seen and heard of people hearing back as early as March in past years.

On the application portal on the page where it explains the application process, it says April on there. I also saw in other forums people hearing back in March, so i guess it could be anytime between now and April! Usually schools will say a time frame but release decisions earlier.

No, I haven't received anything except the checklist. It says on the application that decisions will go out in April -__-
Such a long wait!
Has anyone contacted them to see if it will be any earlier than that?

Same. I received the checklist mid February but haven't heard anything since then... from previous posts some started hearing back around this time. So I'm hoping we all hear back soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

yes, I hope we do!
if u guys go on the website, and click print form and scroll down you can see what your pre req and science pre req is

Reactions: 1 users
I heard back from Columbia last year around the third week of march. On the application there was a link to a letter with the decision. Then they emailed me like first week of April saying my letter was ready, but it was ready before then.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an email on march 24th last year telling me a decision had been made

I've applied and have not heard back yet

Same. I received the checklist mid February but haven't heard anything since then... from previous posts some started hearing back around this time. So I'm hoping we all hear back soon!

I never revived a checklist but got a confirmation email when I sent in my application. Is it normal to not get the checklist? Did anyone else not receive one?

I never revived a checklist but got a confirmation email when I sent in my application. Is it normal to not get the checklist? Did anyone else not receive one?

When did you apply? Did you try contacting anyone?