Colorectal fellowships anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Start up the fiber therapy.

I guess the applicant pool this year just isn't savvy on the student doctor thing. I can't imagine this would correlate to less applicants in the match this year. There were 129 people for 88 total positions if I remember correctly for my year. I've been quiet lately because of the Surgery QE which just happened for me yesterday. I'm glad to be done with that, now I can focus on colorectal until the certifying exam comes up...

You should post your experience in the QE thread!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an applicant this year. This thread has been pretty helpful.

Where have others heard from for interview invites? It seems as though programs are quite inconsistent in the timing of interview invites. Several programs (Mayo, Cedars-Sinai and Cleveland Clinic -Cleveland) have sent me messages saying they will send out invites by the end of the month.

I am an applicant this year. This thread has been pretty helpful.

Where have others heard from for interview invites? It seems as though programs are quite inconsistent in the timing of interview invites. Several programs (Mayo, Cedars-Sinai and Cleveland Clinic -Cleveland) have sent me messages saying they will send out invites by the end of the month.

I don't know about you, but I am too f***en old for this game.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should post your experience in the QE thread!

Yeah !! definitely quiet, perhaps everybody is aware of how much more competitive CRS is becoming, that noboby wants to share their experience.

But let me Stir this up a bit.

I got only 6 interviews so far 3 rejects and I applied to over 30 programs, All my interview invites came withing the first two weeks, after that it has been awfully quiet, and the 3 rejections trickled in slowly. I'm still hopeful that is going to pick up again at the end of August like it traditionally has.

Yeah !! definitely quiet, perhaps everybody is aware of how much more competitive CRS is becoming, that noboby wants to share their experience.

I don't know if it's becoming more competitive, or its competitiveness is just becoming more evident.

The match rates have been in the 65-70% range for several years now.

Either way, please be patient, as many interviews come later. If I remember correctly from post #61 in this thread, the August 15-30 time frame was a good one.

But let me Stir this up a bit.

I got only 6 interviews so far 3 rejects and I applied to over 30 programs, All my interview invites came withing the first two weeks, after that it has been awfully quiet, and the 3 rejections trickled in slowly. I'm still hopeful that is going to pick up again at the end of August like it traditionally has.

I have gotten a similar response. 5 interviews (no rejections... yet), and have heard from a handful of programs that they will send out invites by the end of the month. This match is proving more tricky than the residency one. At least then I had minimal scheduling issues, no work requirements and definitely no call requirements! Hopefully the interview dates continue to be somewhat convenient.

I expect that most of us are in a similar position.

I will hold off on posting about my QE experience until I found out if I passed or not...

As for the scheduling interviews, yes it was a much bigger pain than as a medical student. I distinctly remember half of my interview season being in late august/sept while I was at the VA which was much easier for us to have time off, as my service had five total residents including myself.

However, in October I was on the acute care surgery service, and the motif was leave slightly early post call to catch a flight out that morning in time for the pre-interview dinner (actually about half of the programs I interviewed at did not have dinners). Interview, fly out to be back in town late that night, or sometimes at 3:00am the next morning to report for duty at 7:00am to be on call for the acute care service again. Those were not fun times.

Much like SLU did way back on post number 16 or so, I can offer my specific thoughts through private messaging on the following programs that I interviewed at, which are not listed according to how I ranked them.

LSU Shreveport
St. Vincent, Erie PA
Grand Rapids (Ferguson)
UT Houston
Southern Illinois University
William Beaumont
Henry Ford
Stroger/Cook County Chicago
UC Irvine
USC
Baylor Dallas
St. Francis Hartford, CT
St. Joseph's in Ann Arbor, MI
University of Louisville

We are reaching the mark of mid August, where we are supposed to hear from most of the programs, lets keep our hopes up.
So far I got 8 interviews and 5 rejections.

Georgia has not even downloaded my application yet. Anybody in the same boat?
Has anybody heard from Florida hospital in Orlando?

Last edited:
I didn't apply to Florida-Orlando, but a colleague of mine has heard, and is interviewing next week.

This thread has been incredibly helpful and somewhat calming.

Applied to 38.
Got 13 interviews, including my 1st choice.
Got 2 rejections.- OHSU and North Shore -Long Island.
Didn't apply to Mayo or Minnesota (didn't want to waste money:).
Scheduled /made travel arrangements for 12 interviews.
Scheduled but holding off on making the 13th travel arrangement (not because of the number:).
Most of the interviews came in the first two weeks, then 1-2 /week.

Also curious on how many are applying this year for how many spots.

Applied to 38.
Scheduled but holding off on making the 13th travel arrangement (not because of the number:).

Do programs that do not want to interview you reject you with a letter or notice, or do they simply not respond?

Should unresponding programs be contacted at some point to get confirmation of rejection?

Last edited:
I Think in this game that is a valid move, is your time and money that you are investing, so I think is valid to call those programs that you are interested the most in, but yet you have not heard of.

Applied to 38.

Definitely 90 spots, however not sure if this includes Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the previous years hold true, expect 130-140 people actually submitting rank lists when it comes to game time.

If the previous years hold true, expect 130-140 people actually submitting rank lists when it comes to game time.

That is a very scary thought. It keeps me up all night, every night, and then during the day too :scared:.

My fellowship director said that there are some ERAS registration problems that they haven't resolved yet that are preventing downloading apps. There may be more going on behind the scenes of the programs you're applying to than you're aware.

This person also said how applications are screened: "visa issues" that can't be dealt with mean an automatic rejection, otherwise publications and good ABSITE scores are specifically looked for in the first screening for rejection. I found that not unexpected, but interesting.

Any responses from Lahey, Cook County or USC? Only three programs that I applied to that I haven't heard a yes or no to the interview.

Lahey Clinic may still be considering to call you if you haven't heard from them. Otherwise you'll get a nice snail mail pretty soon.

anybody hear from the michigan programs and the thoughts on them? I'm reapplying again this year

Ochsner was super late last year, it was the last one I got. They can get you free accomodations usually. Surgeons are awesome. Lots of endoscopy.

I went back and did a colorectal fellowship after having spent a few years in practice. It was a hard year, but it was the best professional decision I have made in my career.

I speculate that some places may be interviewing less given that many (even places with multiple spots) match in their top 10.

My advice- interview at every place you can physically squeeze in, rank them all, send some sort of thank you message to everyone humanly possible (they really do talk about that when deciding rank), and get your mentors to call- multiple times probably isn't too much.

Pull out all of the shots- well worth it in the end.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of CARSEP 7?

I had fun at the ASCRS meeting last week, and I got a chance to meet a couple SDNers as well (@Putrescine and @ajlmd ). They know now how much of a midwest meathead SLUser is in real life.

I'm bumping this thread for the current PGY4's. Remember that butt surgery has become quite competitive in recent years, so you want to be Johnny on the Spot with everything from LORs to your ERAS application. Now is the time to get started if you haven't already. It was nice to see a few of you at the meeting setting the foundation.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems about time to revive this thread. Where have people heard from thus far? Based on years past, it seems like mid-August is when things pick up, I hope.

Hey - yeah, I hear mid-August is when the big 5 send out the invitations. I applied to forty because I'm from a small program and was worried about my chances. What about you?

Hey- I'll be on the interview trail with you all this year. I agree it should really start picking up next week based on past threads.

This is what I have so far

UT-Houston 8/21
Swedish 9/22
OHSU 9/24
U of Minn 10/3
Wash U 10/6

hopefully we'll cross paths while interviewing. Good luck to you both

So far I have heard from:
UT-Chattanooga
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic (Florida)
Wash U
UC-Irvine
Penn

Still waiting for:
Minnesota
Mayo
Lahey
Oschner
Atlanta (Northside)
Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland)

Good luck to all!

Update
UT-Houston 8/21
Swedish 9/22
OHSU 9/24
U of Minn 10/3
Wash U 10/6
Atlanta (Northside) 10/15
Ochsner 10/18

I'm going on 7 total. Prior to application my top three programs are on this list, so I'm pretty pleased.

Good luck in the match today. Hopefully, the increased # of spots will lead to a higher match rate for residents.

Headed to Ochsner!! Match rate was 84.5% this year. congrats to all that matched. This year there was a facebook group that most of us used regularly, hence the lack of info on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
Headed to Ochsner!! Match rate was 84.5% this year. congrats to all that matched. This year there was a facebook group that most of us used regularly, hence the lack of info on SDN.

Congrats! Oschner is an excellent program!

That match rate is much improved as well!

Applying for colorectal fellowship this year... Anyone out there? Someone has to be googling this thread...

I think there's some Facebook page that folks were using last year, though I haven't been able to find it. May be best to revert to SDN.

Has anyone heard from any of the programs yet?

I definitely think we should revive the thread. I have heard from these programs so far:

University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
University of Texas - Houston
Orlando
Southern Illinois
LSU - Shreveport
St. Marks in Salt Lake City

That's a great outcome already. Congrats! Which of the Orlando programs have you heard from? I think there are two of them there. It's interesting that all these programs have already started communicating interviews - I mean, it's been just over a week since the ERAS opened for application submission.

The Orlando Health program. Anybody hear from anywhere else?

I believe most will send out invites starting August.

Heard from Thomas Jefferson University (PA) yesterday.

Rutgers UMDNJ sent out interviews as well

So I guess so far these are the programs that sent out interviews:

University of Tennessee - Chattanooga
University of Texas - Houston
Orlando Health
Southern Illinois
LSU - Shreveport
St. Marks in Salt Lake City
Rutgers
Thomas Jefferson

Anyone has more info ?

Has Rutgers sent interview dates as an FYI or actual invites? I got an email from them saying they'd offer interviews on certain dates after reviewing completed applications.

New to the forum, in the pool this year. To add to the list of programs that have sent out invites the only one I haven't seen listed previously was

St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, CT