Colorectal fellowships anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRsurge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently applying to colorectal fellowships in the East and South. Does anyone know which programs are considered good? Are there any sites where they review the programs? Couldnt find anything on scutwork.

Has anyone heard of the Colon & Rectal clinic of Orlando?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
PRsurge

Members don't see this ad.

I met a Swedish CR surgeon about 6 months ago, he's working in U of Minnesota, according to him, Mayo + U of Minn + Cleveland Clinic are the top three. Good luck

Hello,

I am currently applying to colorectal fellowships in the East and South. Does anyone know which programs are considered good? Are there any sites where they review the programs? Couldnt find anything on scutwork.

Has anyone heard of the Colon & Rectal clinic of Orlando?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
PRsurge

It seems kind of late in the game to be gathering information about programs since the interview season is half over.

If you haven't already received invites from programs at this point, it's unlikely that you'll get them, so I guess the "good" programs are the ones that you have an invitation to. If you already have a bunch of invites, I guess you could list them here, and I could give you my limited insight.

I've only been on 4 interviews so far, but it seems like most programs are pretty "good," and can provide you with appropriate training. That may be a reflection of how tough the accreditation process is.

In the South, I think Ochscner is considered prestigious, and Cleveland Clinic Florida.

In the northeast, Lahey Clinic is the biggest name (and probably the best training), but there's a big program in New York, and I think U. Penn is also considered good.

Hope that helps a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm stuck with some conflicting interview days and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the following programs:

UPenn
Washington Hospital Center
Lehigh Valley
Penn State
St. Vincent's Erie, PA
University of Louisville

Thanks for any help.

So I'm stuck with some conflicting interview days and wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the following programs:

UPenn
Washington Hospital Center
Lehigh Valley
Penn State
St. Vincent's Erie, PA
University of Louisville

Thanks for any help.

The colorectal world is too small to post disparaging comments on SDN without a real fear of repercussions.

I can tell you that U. Penn and Louisville would be considered the most prestigious of the places you listed. Washington is on probation, although I spoke with last year's fellow and he was very happy with his education there.

As for the conflicting interview days, I feel your pain. I was interested in U. Penn and Louisville, but ultimately declined both interviews because of timing and geographic constraints. Money is obviously a huge problem too. I just paid $500 for a last-minute flight change that was necessary to make an interview in time. That was a painful swipe of the credit card.

On a side note, does anyone know how much of this interview money I can get back in tax deductions? I've never been good with tax stuff.

Money is obviously a huge problem too. I just paid $500 for a last-minute flight change that was necessary to make an interview in time. That was a painful swipe of the credit card.
Ouch. That would buy me a nice subwoofer and a nice center channel, both of which I'm looking for now...

On a side note, does anyone know how much of this interview money I can get back in tax deductions? I've never been good with tax stuff.
This was the best thread I could find about it - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=495120

Actually, the program in Shreveport, LA (see here) is one of the older and most established CR programs in the south. One of our graduating chief residents will be starting there in July

I'm seriously considering canceling one of my last ones. 14 interviews is probably more than I can afford. Sluser how many did you do?

I'm seriously considering canceling one of my last ones. 14 interviews is probably more than I can afford. Sluser how many did you do?

I've done 7, and I'm sitting in an airport on the way to my 8th. I have 13 scheduled (picked the number 13 arbitrarily, but stuck to it, and turned down any late invites). I am not planning on canceling any of them, as I've already bought the tickets, etc, and my last 2 are places that I'm really interested in.

I agree that the whole process is exhausting. I think the main difference between fellowship and residency is that the interviews are much closer together, and as soon as you get home from your exhausting trip, it's time to go to work and be a doctor.....and your junior residents have been carrying extra weight, so they're not too sympathetic if you decide to complain.

SLUser,

Hey I've got a question for you and anyone else out there.

Are you sending thank you notes to the late interviews, emailing them, or doing nothing?.... I'm kind of doing both, but was curious as to everyone strategy.

SLUser,

Hey I've got a question for you and anyone else out there.

Are you sending thank you notes to the late interviews, emailing them, or doing nothing?.... I'm kind of doing both, but was curious as to everyone strategy.

I haven't written any thank you letters. I've been sending thank you emails to the program directors. I've been recently informed that I should probably have done more....i.e. written letters to not only the PD, but the chairman, and likely everyone who interviewed you. I guess we'll see how that all works out for me.

Honestly, I have been a little put off by the process, as there's more under-the-table stuff going on, with letters and phone calls, etc. I would rather that everyone played it completely straight, and thank you letters and mentor phone calls didn't matter. Of course, I would send a thank you letter or email to the PD anyway because I think it's polite, but I hate to think it will affect my chances of matching.

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone today.

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone today.

I matched at the University of Texas - Houston, training with Dr. Bailey and Dr. Snyder. Overall I am very pleased, but I know it's going to be a hard year.

When it came down to ranking time, I decided that working hard would probably be the best way to go, and I wanted to ensure that I received well rounded training. While I liked some of the smaller-named places, I also wanted to keep the door open for post-fellowship jobs in academics.

Anyway, I'm happy that it's over and that it worked out well. Congratulations to the other matched applicants. I'm going to clinic now....

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched at the University of Texas - Houston, training with Dr. Bailey and Dr. Snyder. Overall I am very pleased, but I know it's going to be a hard year.

When it came down to ranking time, I decided that working hard would probably be the best way to go, and I wanted to ensure that I received well rounded training. While I liked some of the smaller-named places, I also wanted to keep the door open for post-fellowship jobs in academics.

Anyway, I'm happy that it's over and that it worked out well. Congratulations to the other matched applicants. I'm going to clinic now....

Wow... the CR match is already done? That's pretty sweet. I wish our match was that short.

Hey SLUser, what's your understanding of being able to get an academic position after doing a community gen surg residency followed by an academic fellowship? I'm currently applying to both community and academic programs. While I'm not sure what I'll do with my career, I don't want to close any doors. I know peds surg will be hard (impossible?) to get at some community programs, and while that concerns me, it's not a deal breaker. Thoughts?

Congrats, SLUser11! I've heard great things about UT Houston.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of the other places you liked, either in this forum or via PM.

Good luck to everyone else, too!

Congrats, SLUser11! I've heard great things about UT Houston.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of the other places you liked, either in this forum or via PM.

Good luck to everyone else, too!

If interested in CRS, it’s important to know this by the beginning of your fourth year or so.

As a PGY-4, you should go to the ASCRS annual meeting in May, as you can network there, and there is a “meet the program directors” reception for the residents. Also, it’s a really good conference, and you can get a feel for what the specialty is all about, and what issues are controversial or cutting edge. It will help you when interview time comes so you know what questions to ask. If you go to the meeting, there’s no reason to stay to the end. The dinner and dance on the last night is aimed toward the older, established CRS docs, not the residents.

When applying, it is important to start getting your CV together in May and June of your PGY-4 year. This is also a good time to start talking to your mentors about writing letters, etc. You should research programs on the FASCRS.org website, and get a feeling for where you want to be.

You can register for ERAS on July 1st (first day of your chief year). Applications can be downloaded by programs on July 15th or so, so you really only have 2 weeks to get your stuff together in ERAS. That means that the CV and personal statement need to have rough drafts prior to July 1. That also means that you need to have your LORs locked up prior to July 1st, then download cover sheets July 1st so the LORs can get in as soon as possible.

Like always, the more boring the personal statement, the better. About half of the interviewers didn’t read it as far as I could tell.

One ERAS curveball is that you need to make copies of your ABSITE scores and send them in with an appropriate cover letter. You also need to do the same for your medical school transcript and MSPE (Dean’s letter), which can be obtained from your med school student affairs office. Forgetting to do this will make your application less complete. You also need to take a picture of yourself and either send it in or upload it. You can usually upload PDF copies of the transcript and MSPE. ABSITE is the only mandatory mail-in.

Don’t forget that ERAS and NRMP are two different things. You use ERAS to apply and submit documents, and you register for NRMP to rank programs and actually match. Two separate websites, two separate fees.

All the interviews occur in September and October, with a small few at the end of August. Invites will roll in very slowly, and the more prestigious places tend to wait the longest. It’s not uncommon to receive interviews in late August all the way through mid September. There were a couple programs (Louisville and U Penn) that were so late I had to say no since my schedule was full.

I would schedule a light rotation for September and October, and make sure it will allow days off. Interviews are on weekends, during the week, etc, and since they are so close together, sometimes it’s easiest to do a 2 or 3 interview stint without going home.

As far as competitiveness, the most important factors are your LORs and where you trained. Who you know is extremely important, and if you have a famous mentor, things will be easier for you. ABSITE scores are also important. Research is important to the big 5 (Minn, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Wash U, Lahey).

The interviews are mostly laid back, and the interviewers are trying to assess if you are easy to get along with and work with for a year. The bigger academic places are also very interested in your career plans, as they are only in the business of training surgical leaders/future chairmen/program directors. If you plan on private practice, they will not waste their time with you.

Thank you letters are a must for the PD, and probably a good idea for everyone you interview with. I didn’t do this, which I admit, but I was told later on by several PDs and coordinators that this is important. Most of them think an email is adequate.

After you interview, it’s important that your mentor makes a phone call to the places you like (#1 and #2 or something) and tells them how awesome you are and that you are ranking the place high. This seems like a silly step, and I thought it was dirty, but it’s still important.

The whole process is a little more under-the-table than residency. Many places are proud of matching people high on their list, so ROLs are possibly changed around based on perceived resident interest. This is why it’s important to volunteer this info to the places you like.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions. I felt like there wasn’t much info out there, and I wish there had been more resources.

I will list the places I interviewed below. I would say that pretty much every place seemed to offer solid clinical training. I think the accreditation process for CRS is pretty strict, so all programs still running strong have got their stuff together. As corny as it sounds, I think any of these places would have been good for fellowship. I picked based on a need for high volume and well-rounded experiences (e.g. mix of hand-assist and straight lap, medial to lateral and lateral to medial, good anorectal volume, physiology labs).

Because of how small the CRS community is, and because I don’t have any ill will towards the places where I interviewed, I will reserve any specific comments to people who PM me with specific program questions.

UT-Houston
Ochsner
Lahey Clinic
Ferguson Clinic
OHSU
Wash U
U of Chicago/Northwestern
SIU
UIC
LSU-Shreveport
Creighton
Baylor
Swedish/Seattle

There seems to be a lot of talk and some data over lifestyle and salary of Surgical sub-specialties (Ortho, Uro). I don't seem to find much at all in terms of GenSurg + Fellowship. Is there a good resource for this?

Does a fellowship change your pay scale or call schedule at all or typically just influence your cases?

I think the reason why there's not a lot of talk about gen surg subspec is because they are such different animals. A trauma surgeon's practice/salary has a very different structure than a breast surgeons or CT surg or pediatric surgeon.

More and more, in order to become an academic surgeon, you need fellowship training. Conversely, many (but by no means all) fellowship trained surgeons go into academics. Some subspec are pretty much limited to academic centers, such as transplant. However, more and more graduates are getting "extra training" (which likely reflects decreased access, experience, and comfort with cases upon graduation, a potential result of the work hours restrictions) often by a year in MIS, breast, colorectal, etc. A good portion of these folks will then go on to private practice, where their expanded training will likely make them more marketable and likely can negotiate a better salary.

I am still in training, but would hazard a guess that fellowship in and of itself has little bearing as to your call scheudle, and more to do with: a) what subspecialty you are and b) the particulars of whatever division/department or practice you join. The lower on the totem pole tends to take more frequent call, esp the "crap call" of the ED on weekends/holidays.

Bump.

I've gotten a couple PMs about CRS, and I thought this thread would be helpful. Good luck to this year's applicants.

If any of you are interviewing at UT this Wednesday, look out for the meathead fellow who talks too much....

I am applying for the 2012-2013 match so I appreciate seeing this bumped.

It is scary and I feel like a medical student all over again, despite the fact I am somewhat of a "nontraditional" applicant as this is my 4th year out of residency. The last few years of practice made me appreciate all the more the value of colorectal training, so I am excited to be giving it a shot.

I am a US grad, went to a state university residency program, did a MIS fellowship, and now am on faculty. I had solid ABSITE scores though I am not sure how relevant that is considering I'm done with the boards. My LORs should be good though I do not know many people in the colorectal community and I also did not do any dedicated research time nor do I have a ton of publications. I'd like to think I have a reasonable shot but not knowing how competitive it really is, it is intimidating nonetheless.

I applied to > 20 programs, have 12 invites and 2 rejections. I hope to swing 15 interviews if possible.

Any advice whatsoever is appreciated. A few things I have been thinking about include:
1. For night before dinners, do most people wear suits or is business casual acceptable?
2. I have several questions I have thought about to ask on interviews; for those of you who are fellows or have completed training, what sort of questions would you ask in retrospect?

Thanks in advance! I feel like an old paranoid medical student all over again...

Just wondering if anyone has heard from the following programs (sure wish they would all put out their invites at the same time!). Just trying to plan

Louisville, KY
Grand Rapids, MI
WashU
Cleveland Clinic, OH
Univ of Penn

Thanks!

Tiredmd, I did hear from WashU though not from Cleveland Clinic OH, Louisville, or UPenn. Not sure about CC but I have heard that Louisville and Penn send offers very late.

Tiredmd, I did hear from WashU though not from Cleveland Clinic OH, Louisville, or UPenn. Not sure about CC but I have heard that Louisville and Penn send offers very late.

Congrats to everyone who matched today into the wonderful, brown world of colorectal surgery. The match rate was 67%, so still very competitive as far as surgical fellowships go.

Congrats to everyone who matched today into the wonderful, brown world of colorectal surgery. The match rate was 67%, so still very competitive as far as surgical fellowships go.
What kinds of cases do you think that only a CRS should do? Clearly, quite a bit (most?) of colorectal surgery is done by general surgeons, and I doubt that very many/any would be doing IPAAs, but what other kinds of colorectal cases do you think belong only to a CRS?

What kinds of cases do you think that only a CRS should do? Clearly, quite a bit (most?) of colorectal surgery is done by general surgeons, and I doubt that very many/any would be doing IPAAs, but what other kinds of colorectal cases do you think belong only to a CRS?

There's an abundance of literature that shows improved outcomes when certain abdominal and pelvic surgeries are performed by a fellowship-trained colorectal surgeon. This includes sigmoid resection for diverticulitis. Patients have improved disease free survival if their rectal resections for cancer are done by a colorectal surgeon. I have not seen any literature suggesting better oncologic outcomes for colectomies.

I also doubt anyone would disagree that outcomes after anorectal surgery are generally better with CRS trained surgeons (hemorrhoids, LIS, transanal excision, fistulas, even condyloma).

However, I think it's ridiculous to say only colorectal surgeons should be taking out colons or doing hemorrhoids. There's just too much disease out there in underserved areas, and a well-trained general surgeon can do the right operation for the patient. Also, I think volume is the main issue here, so a general surgeon who does a lot of LARs is probably pretty good at them.

There are some procedures that come to mind that I believe should be done primarily by fellowship trained surgeons: APR, LAR with TME, Total proctocolectomies with or without J pouch, transanal excisions for cancer, complex fistula repairs....I'm sure there are a couple more. In general, I think pelvic dissections with TME require fellowship training....not just to do a good cancer surgery, but also to avoid nerve injury, etc.

I think fellowship training makes you better at these operations, and allows you to focus your practice on these operations and disease states.

There's an abundance of literature that shows improved outcomes when certain abdominal and pelvic surgeries are performed by a fellowship-trained colorectal surgeon. This includes sigmoid resection for diverticulitis. Patients have improved disease free survival if their rectal resections for cancer are done by a colorectal surgeon. I have not seen any literature suggesting better oncologic outcomes for colectomies.

I also doubt anyone would disagree that outcomes after anorectal surgery are generally better with CRS trained surgeons (hemorrhoids, LIS, transanal excision, fistulas, even condyloma).

However, I think it's ridiculous to say only colorectal surgeons should be taking out colons or doing hemorrhoids. There's just too much disease out there in underserved areas, and a well-trained general surgeon can do the right operation for the patient. Also, I think volume is the main issue here, so a general surgeon who does a lot of LARs is probably pretty good at them.

There are some procedures that come to mind that I believe should be done primarily by fellowship trained surgeons: APR, LAR with TME, Total proctocolectomies with or without J pouch, transanal excisions for cancer, complex fistula repairs....I'm sure there are a couple more. In general, I think pelvic dissections with TME require fellowship training....not just to do a good cancer surgery, but also to avoid nerve injury, etc.

I think fellowship training makes you better at these operations, and allows you to focus your practice on these operations and disease states.

As a rural general surgeon in a 25 bed community access hospital with no urologist but good tertiary care within 50 miles and fabulous quaternary care within 200 miles I do on my own:

hemorrhoids
colon cancer
fistulas/abscesses (Straight forward...if I'm ordering MRIs, I'm thinking about referrals)
Diverticulitis (unless theres a GU component)

I refer any APR, transanal excision, complete proctectomy with j pouch, basically everything SLU said. I would due a high rectal cancer if I could get the other general surgeon in town to help me, but anything that's super low makes me very nervous. I was well trained by colorectal surgeons as a resident, but am not fellowship trained. I also don't have a second pair of hands on a regular basis; there are 2 of us in town for general surgery. I often operate with an RNFA but I would need much better help for something like an APR. Add to it that I have limited support in my hospital for all sorts of things that I took for granted in my big university hospital training. I like colorectal, and sometimes it pains me to send those cases away, but it really is better for the patient.

Add to it that I have limited support in my hospital for all sorts of things that I took for granted in my big university hospital training. I like colorectal, and sometimes it pains me to send those cases away, but it really is better for the patient.

Just to echo this sentiment, when I look at big database studies that show better outcomes with a colorectal surgeon than a general surgeon, there's a lot of inherent bias, so the data need to be taken with a grain of salt.

The available care, support staff, OR team, severity of illness, emergency nature of the case, etc, are not always adequately accounted for, so some patients who have better outcomes with CR surgeons may have had some natural advantages.

I've attached an article from a previous DCR that put a big NIS study into perspective.

Attachments

• Discharge_Data_Some_Words_of_Caution.1.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 102
I matched at the Colon and Rectal Clinic of Orlando- I am very excited about it and incredibly thankful. I thought very highly of the faculty there when I interviewed and feel that what they are doing will prepare me well for the job I plan on taking when I finish.

I made a lot of friends on the interview trail and have been in touch with several of them since the match. Multiple solid US Grads I met did not get a position. The common denominator of the people that I know who matched very low or didn't match was the lack of a big connection or someone making phone calls on their behalf. Disheartening that some great candidates did not get a spot primarily because of this. I therefore am all the more appreciative that I landed this spot and will definitely be making the most of the opportunity.

I matched at the Colon and Rectal Clinic of Orlando- I am very excited about it and incredibly thankful. I thought very highly of the faculty there when I interviewed and feel that what they are doing will prepare me well for the job I plan on taking when I finish.

I made a lot of friends on the interview trail and have been in touch with several of them since the match. Multiple solid US Grads I met did not get a position. The common denominator of the people that I know who matched very low or didn't match was the lack of a big connection or someone making phone calls on their behalf. Disheartening that some great candidates did not get a spot primarily because of this. I therefore am all the more appreciative that I landed this spot and will definitely be making the most of the opportunity.

Congrats, ajlmd! Welcome to the world of butts and guts.

Congrats, ajlmd! Welcome to the world of butts and guts.

Thank you- I am happy that I get to join the club :)

To those planning to apply next year, what SLUser11 posted at the end of the last interview season regarding the ERAS and NRMP process is excellent; lots of people are left to their own to figure these things out and reading that post will save you a lot of time.

A few things from my experience this year:

1. Mid-June is not too early to ask for letters. Best case scenario is that your letter is ready as soon as ERAS opens in July. The ERAS post office is slow, and though some of my letter writers were pretty prompt with mailing them in, it took nearly 3 weeks in a few cases between the time they were recieved by ERAS and the ERAS post office made them available.

2. If you do not have major connections to the colorectal community, doing 12-15 interviews (and ranking them all) is what I have gathered to be a good safety number. The overall match rate was 67%, and I know of multiple great candidates that did not match, some of which were US grads. Additionally, a few of my interview friends that lacked only the big name calling for them matched at 10 or lower. These were people that had some publications, good scores, and no red flags....

I feel I can't emphasize #2 enough. You will meet a ton of other candidates who are all smart, reasonable people with great ABSITE scores, research, and overall solid CV's. This was much different than residency as here I felt most people were on similar playing grounds on paper. With a few exceptions, most programs take only 3 or less, and even the larger ones often have a person or 2 that has worked with the program (research, internal applicant, etc) who is pretty much a shoe-in. Therefore, it is concievable that you are in the top 5 of many places and still do not get a spot.

I have talked to a lot of people post-match and the common thread that really tipped the scales was having a colorectal mentor advocate for you. I'd speculate an absolute must if you have your heart set on one of the big 5. A few places where I interviewed told me up front that you must have someone make a phone call.

There was not a colorectal division where I trained so I did not have anyone from residency to make the big calls for me. By some miracle of luck, I managed to find a program that really fit the bill of what I am looking for technically and I really hit it off with the people so I got in. I made a few other friends on the trail who also were very good on paper that weren't so fortunate so I am extremely gracious, to say the least.

I don't mean to scare anyone but it is definitely a small community and is quite competitive. I'd be happy to share more of my insight on the whole experience for anyone interested- send me a message

I'm bumping this thread for the 2012 applicants. You can submit applications July 1st, and it would benefit you to be on top of the timeline.

Here's a link to my rant on the ERAS process, which is marginally helpful, but illustrates how frustrating the process becomes.

Here's a link to last year's match statistics. As you can see, it is relatively competitive, and a methodical, well-planned approach is beneficial.

Like any residency, it is important to obtain a balance of experience. If you do laparoscopic pouches all day, but never see a hemorrhoid, then you won't be prepared for independent practice.

I can provide some rough numbers of what should be expected from a solid, well-rounded program:

Laparoscopic colectomies/LARs: 50-80
Pelvic dissections (TME/LAR/APR): 30-60
Colonoscopies: 150-250
Anorectal procedures: 200-400 (make sure they are doing complex cases, e.g. advancement flaps, LIFTs, Altemeiers, sphincteroplasties, etc)
J-pouches/IPAAs: 10-15 (some places will have way more than this, but you need at least 10)
Proctoscopy/anoscopy: too many to count...just make sure the clinic experience is good.
Clinic: At least 2-3 half days per week, if not more.

Make sure you speak with the current fellows, and confirm that they are the ones doing the cases, not just watching. For example, if they are doing SILS or Robots, make sure the residents get to operate. If they do hand-assist surgery, ask whose hand is usually in the abdomen.

Good luck.:luck:

Thanks so much, SLUser11. I've read you over the years and your responses have been super helpful.

So, I am still confused by the ERAS application. I printed up the LoR request forms to give to all my letter writers. Per that form (is this considered the EDFO form?), all they have to do it either a) load it into the LoR portal or b) mail it in with that form.

However, I had read that in previous years the applicant had to also make a cover letter for the LoR. How do we do this if we don't even see the LoR? or has that all changed now that the writers can upload a PDF directly?

Also, in terms of personal statements, they have a 28,000 character limit which seems pretty darn long. In general, should I aim for a one-pager, 12 point, double spaced? or a bit longer?

Thanks in advance and am really looking forward to networking with my SDN users to navigate through the CRS process.

Thanks so much, SLUser11. I've read you over the years and your responses have been super helpful.

So, I am still confused by the ERAS application. I printed up the LoR request forms to give to all my letter writers. Per that form (is this considered the EDFO form?), all they have to do it either a) load it into the LoR portal or b) mail it in with that form.

However, I had read that in previous years the applicant had to also make a cover letter for the LoR. How do we do this if we don't even see the LoR? or has that all changed now that the writers can upload a PDF directly?

Also, in terms of personal statements, they have a 28,000 character limit which seems pretty darn long. In general, should I aim for a one-pager, 12 point, double spaced? or a bit longer?

Thanks in advance and am really looking forward to networking with my SDN users to navigate through the CRS process.

I can't help you with the LOR thing. I designated LOR writers in ERAS, then gave the LOR writers a form to send in with the LOR. There wasn't a PDF option, but I'm intrigued by that since it's safer and more reliable.

For personal statements, I recommend the KISASS approach: Keep It Short And Simple, Stupid.....just made up that acronym I think....anyway, I think 3-4 paragraphs are adequate, and anything more is excessive. Just like for residency, personal statements rarely help, but they can hurt. Just say why you want to do CRS and add some generic personal info.

Were you at a talk a few months ago at the Four Seasons, about biologic mesh and reinforcing colostomies?

Were you at a talk a few months ago at the Four Seasons, about biologic mesh and reinforcing colostomies?

I sure was. I gave a talk as well that night on evidence-based treatment of pouchitis.

Oh awesome, I was the student who was present (my FIL was your guest speaker). I believe we met briefly. I hope fellowship is/has gone well for you.

Sure, I remember you. I'm a big fan of your FIL as well...he's the author of my favorite textbook.

hi everyone,

wanted to check in to see who else is floating around who has applied to CRS this year. There are like 4 programs who still haven't even downloaded my app! Otherwise got 3 interviews so far. Not sure when I should expect to hear from the others b/c I would love to piggyback the ones on far away coasts together.

anyone else in the game with me on here?

All the interviews occur in September and October, with a small few at the end of August. Invites will roll in very slowly, and the more prestigious places tend to wait the longest. It’s not uncommon to receive interviews in late August all the way through mid September. There were a couple programs (Louisville and U Penn) that were so late I had to say no since my schedule was full.

See the above quote.

Be patient, the interviews will come. I was away from my email for 2 days at my Seattle interview, and I had 5 more waiting for me when I got home.

Now that I've been through training, etc, I wanted to list some other programs that I know second-hand (i.e. did not interview there). They are worth a look if you have time:

-Indiana (have a friend who recently graduated and said the operative experience was excelelnt).
-Louisville- JayDoc just finished there and would have more info. He introduced me to the poor-man's SILC to which I will be forever grateful.
-Mayo and U Minn- Both CRS powerhouses that are good choices if you are research-oriented.
-Case Western- Great staff doing innovative procedures and publishing frequently.

Good luck!

How long can you wait before replying to an interview? I want to wait until I get more interviews to group them together to make travel easier. Is it common to cancel interviews or that is not a good idea? thx

How long can you wait before replying to an interview? I want to wait until I get more interviews to group them together to make travel easier. Is it common to cancel interviews or that is not a good idea? thx

It depends. Because the interview slots are limited, some of the dates will fill up if you don't take them soon. I had several people on the trail complain about that, but I never actually experienced it.

When I didn't respond to an invite in the first week or so, I was usually getting follow-up emails from the program coordinator asking if I was going to come....i.e. if not, they will offer the interview to someone else. My response to this was variable, but I usually just politely declined.

is it bad to cancel interviews once accepted because there is another program you want to go instead?

Since programs are not required to respond to every application, should we start a listing of programs we know have sent out interview invites? May be helpful in decided to accept an invite or holding out for an invite from another program?

Since programs are not required to respond to every application, should we start a listing of programs we know have sent out interview invites? May be helpful in decided to accept an invite or holding out for an invite from another program?

Since it is such a small community, you will usually know when interviews go out from talking with other applicants on the trail. You will inevitably have some time to kill at or after the interviews, and usually that's a time to share info.

On a side note, you will likely make some good friends on the trail. These will be your peers for the rest of your career, and you'll see them at least once a year at the meeting...so it's a lot of fun.

Got five invites thusfar. Some of which have filled up most of their dates after sitting on them for 48 hours! Don't wait too long to select a date! Got one in the cards for your fellowship program SLUser11 as well.

FWIW, Jim Fleshman is leaving Wash U to become the chairman at Baylor Hospital in Dallas.

I just decided to go into colorectal. If I can get my stuff in by next week, is it still possible to apply for next year?

Thanks

when does interview invitation usually come? mid august?