Colorectal Fellowship After Neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squat n Squeeze

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to medical school, but as a future neurosurgeon, I have a question. I am curious to know whether or not I could complete a fellowship in colorectal surgery upon completion of my neurosurgery residency. I know that colorectal usually follows a general surgery residency, but I have a keen interest in the field. While I am very passionate about the brain and the nervous system in general, I am extremely fascinated by the large intestine as well. Therefore, I would like to incorporate approximately 15% colorectal cases into my total amount of procedures. Also, I plan on becoming an academic neurosurgeon, so I would like to know if mixing these two fields would be feasible in that setting. If anyone has any information on the path I am considering, I would appreciate if you would share some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
(this is the alley-oop)

Well, then you could make a practice out of removing people's heads from their asses!

(slam-dunk)

:rolleyes:

Though I have never responded to a statement like this -

I must say very, very witty (at least 15% of the time).

Or perhaps taking ones head out of their own arse prior to matriculation would be the best remedy in this case!

Members don't see this ad :)
id like to combine proctology with that too.......

isn't there a way to combine neurosurg, colorectal, and urology? Thus you could deal with a$$holes, nuts, and peckers who need their craniums removed from their cracks.

I know this doesn't compare in funniness to the prior post but I thought I'd give humor an attempt. This thread has potential for greatness...

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS

Squat and Squeeze,

I truly believe that you are either:
a) a subtle humorist and a catalyst for comedic outlet
b) an inspired student who sees the boundless potential for your career options
c) still grappling with your over-achieving side that must have come from some seriously driven parents
d) completely clueless on the nature of the workload you describe

I am rooting for a), empathize if it is b), and must encourage some serious instruction on balancing life and work if it is either c) or d). Please think about having some fun in your life; you cannot possibly do it all, nor can you pack that much info into your head. Unless, you are a Will Hunting type...

Joke time...

A young boy is talking to his grandfather about medicine. "Grandpa, did you ever have a medical problem?"
"Why yes, sonny, I did. I was upset about things all the time. Doctors told me early on that I had a rare condition, wherein my optic nerve got anatomically crossed with my rectal nerve."
"Well, grandpa, what was wrong with you?"
"My doctor told me that I had ocular rectalitis, and that was the reason for my s***ty outlook on life..."

Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
I am currently applying to medical school, but as a future neurosurgeon, I have a question. I am curious to know whether or not I could complete a fellowship in colorectal surgery upon completion of my neurosurgery residency. I know that colorectal usually follows a general surgery residency, but I have a keen interest in the field. While I am very passionate about the brain and the nervous system in general, I am extremely fascinated by the large intestine as well. Therefore, I would like to incorporate approximately 15% colorectal cases into my total amount of procedures. Also, I plan on becoming an academic neurosurgeon, so I would like to know if mixing these two fields would be feasible in that setting. If anyone has any information on the path I am considering, I would appreciate if you would share some advice.

I, too, am interested in a colorectal fellowship. I can't satisfy my desire to examine body orifices with the ears, nose, and mouth, and feel that I'll need to go "down below" to truly feel fulfilled

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttttttttttt

Game over. Thanks for playing

talk about a real sh*% for brains...ridiculous...

No, there is no possibility of doing a colorectal surgery fellowship after neurosurgery residency. You have to be boarded in general surgery first, it does not usually follow general surgery, it always follows general surgery. So after 7 years of neurosurgery residency you would have to do 5 years of general and 1 year colorectal, which would be stupid to do.

lets see 2003-2010 for NS. 2010-2015 for GS. 2015-2017 for colorectal.

Nope, you're wrong. He's done and can correct the increasing common craniorectal abnormalities associated with necrobumping.

Reactions: 5 users
Good post OP

sdnbruh

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users