Colorblind Applicant - Any Updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColorblindBat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, I incidentally discovered that I can't read Ishihara plates at all. I've never had problems with histology, anatomy, day-to-day activities, etc.

Will this significantly hamper me going forth? I've been looking at past threads but the most recent ones have been from 2012 or so. Do any current or recent applicants know how common it is for programs to ask for eye exams / test you on interview day? I'm super bummed out because I've put a ton of effort into matching and I'm very passionate about the field.

Members don't see this ad.

Today, I incidentally discovered that I can't read Ishihara plates at all. I've never had problems with histology, anatomy, day-to-day activities, etc.

Will this significantly hamper me going forth? I've been looking at past threads but the most recent ones have been from 2012 or so. Do any current or recent applicants know how common it is for programs to ask for eye exams / test you on interview day? I'm super bummed out because I've put a ton of effort into matching and I'm very passionate about the field.

Stereovision is more important than color vision. Your color vision won't come up at almost all of your interviews. It shouldn't be a huge issue.

No, don't worry ONE bit! A resident from my program was colorblind, he did just fine. Color helps in picking up retinal heme etc, but i'm sure there's contrast cues etc that will help u pick those details up. UTSW asks for an eye exam, but I can't remember is color vision was on there form or not. That was the only program out of the bazillions i applied to that required it.

Don't fret, u'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, don't worry ONE bit! A resident from my program was colorblind, he did just fine. Color helps in picking up retinal heme etc, but i'm sure there's contrast cues etc that will help u pick those details up. UTSW asks for an eye exam, but I can't remember is color vision was on there form or not. That was the only program out of the bazillions i applied to that required it.

Don't fret, u'll be fine.

UAB also asks for an eye exam from interviewees.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips. I'm going to get checked for stereovision as soon as I can, too.

( I don't think I'll be applying to UAB or UTSW then :()

Reactions: 1 user
I would really reconsider a surgical specialty. If you ever have a surgical complication or miss an important finding on exam and get sued etc, you're probably gonna be toast. Very subtle variations in the color of the retina often lead to further testing and an important diagnosis. Even if whatever happened has nothing to do with you being colorblind, a jury of 12 laymen will probably be appalled a micro-surgeon was seeing patients and operating on them without the patients knowing you had this issue. You could potentially go through residency/fellowship and if this comes up, basically your career would be done. I wouldn't want a family member or loved one having surgery with a color-blind ophthalmologist or even seeing one regularly for basic checkups.

I would really reconsider a surgical specialty. If you ever have a surgical complication or miss an important finding on exam and get sued etc, you're probably gonna be toast. Very subtle variations in the color of the retina often lead to further testing and an important diagnosis. Even if whatever happened has nothing to do with you being colorblind, a jury of 12 laymen will probably be appalled a micro-surgeon was seeing patients and operating on them without the patients knowing you had this issue. You could potentially go through residency/fellowship and if this comes up, basically your career would be done. I wouldn't want a family member or loved one having surgery with a color-blind ophthalmologist or even seeing one regularly for basic checkups.

Are you currently applying to an ophthalmology residency and possibly in the OP's potential applicant pool? This is the only reason I can see for doling out this type of "wisdom".

The OP will be fine - I know lots of "microsurgeons" with a red/green color deficiency. Your blanket statement that the OP should "reconsider a surgical specialty" is honestly quite rude. And very poor career advice. Red/green color deficiency is present in ~ 9% of males. I guarantee quite a few of these males are surgeons. And aren't getting sued out the Whazoo by 12 person juries.

Unbelievable.

Enchroma | Color For The Color Blind

There's a good chance this sort of technology will be pretty widely available in the near future anyways, so I wouldn't cut your surgery career short because of a simple case of colorblindness. Hell, you could probably call them up and partner to make the world's first loupes for colorblind surgeons.

There are successful ophthalmology attendings who are colorblind. Don't worry about it.

Are you currently applying to an ophthalmology residency and possibly in the OP's potential applicant pool? This is the only reason I can see for doling out this type of "wisdom".

The OP will be fine - I know lots of "microsurgeons" with a red/green color deficiency. Your blanket statement that the OP should "reconsider a surgical specialty" is honestly quite rude. And very poor career advice. Red/green color deficiency is present in ~ 9% of males. I guarantee quite a few of these males are surgeons. And aren't getting sued out the Whazoo by 12 person juries.

Unbelievable.

Putting your own career goals over the safety of others. That is unbelievable. I find it ridiculous and shocking you don't see how an ophthalmologist is at a very real disadvantage in giving the best care to patients if they cant discriminate colors (red/green, most likely). I would say the same if a surgeon had a tremor etc. Just because you want to do something, doesn't mean you should. It's selfish and irresponsible. I am sure many people have worked with surgeons who were older and quite frankly "a little dangerous", but were too stubborn to admit the best interest of the patient is to have someone else operate. I question if you are even an ophthalmologist if you cant see how NOT BEING ABLE TO DISCRIMINATE COLORS isn't dangerous in treating patients in a field that is highly reliant on catching subtle findings and working in small spaces and being able to have near perfect acuity when operating. If you cant discriminate numbers on a plate, how in the world can you reliably look at a retina and discriminate subtle lesions?! Even if the OP doesn't become a retina surgeon, you still have to be able to catch these things on dilated exams and know when to refer etc. Are you kidding me with your nonsense? How about the OP go through the match and overtly disclose this issue to all the programs? Then let the chips fall. You don't just get to do something because you want to do it. This is medicine, not little league baseball. Knowing one's own limitations is incredibly important in every single field of medicine, and no one should ever put their own personal goals/desires over the best interest of patients. This is just plain common sense.

Last edited:
And no I am not a medical student competing for a residency spot. I am a practicing ophthalmologist.

Yah I'm an ophthalmologist

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one my friend.

In my opinion, and in the opinion of many other colleages, the OP will be fine

Agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Seems to me like equating color discrimination with extremity tremor is off base. Do we have evidence that performance on ishihara plates correlates with surgical skill/complication rate/etc? The US military has been known to seek out color blind civilians of various subtypes to look at satellite imagery, the thought being they apparently can cut through some camouflage better than normal eyes. Who is to say they can't better discriminate ERMs, or whatever else? My program director is red-green colorblind, and also a respected and successful ophthalmologist :)

Loving the rhetoric though. "Unbelievable", "ridiculous", "shocking" "selfish". Totally thought this was the little league baseball forum glad that was cleared up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think this is an interesting question that comes up in this thread from time to time. There are a couple of points I'd like to make.

As the OP mentioned - he incidentally discovered he could not read any of the Ishihara plates (although I hope he could read the control plate..). As many as 9 percent of males fall on the red-green colorblind spectrum (deuteranomaly) as mentioned above and many on this spectrum do not know they even have an issue because in regular day to day life - no one regularly checks Ishihara plates on you and you don't need such fine color differentiation for daily life. Being colorblind in this form does not mean that you cannot see any colors or that you cannot distinguish the color of grass from the color of a stop sign. It just means there are some subtle distinctions (ie Ishihara plate) that you cannot distinguish.

Pathology residency, General Surgery residency, ENT residency, Neurosurgery residency, Internal Medicine residency, Emergency Medicine residency, Pediatrics residency, etc do not request an Eye Exam from applicants and do not check applicants' color vision. US medical schools also do not check color vision on applicants. There are likely a good number of doctors in all of these fields that are red green color blind (9% of males, if an even distribution among doctors) and many of them probably do not even know they fall on the color blind spectrum because no one ever checked Ishihara plates and told them they had a subtle color differentiating issue.

Should all these doctors be removed from practice? Of course not. Clinical medicine and taking care of patients involves much more than just the doctor's own color discrimination ability. The knowledge base and experience of the physician, the history the patient presents with, the other examination findings - all play a part in making an appropriate diagnosis. For example a pediatrician that cannot easily tell when the tympanic membrane is red, can use other clues including that the child has a fever, is uncomfortable, is pulling on his ear, has a history of previous ear infections, to appropriately make a diagnosis and initiate treatment. In all of these fields there are other clues that you can use. Ophthalmology is no different.

I believe the reason this question arises in Ophthalmology more than other just as complex and detailed microsurgical fields such as ENT and Neurosurgery, is that Ophthalmologists are checking Ishihara plates on their patients from time to time and so are more likely to notice if they have an issue. Also a few Ophthalmology residency programs request an Eye Exam from applicants, although the majority (upwards of 95+ percent of programs) do not.

It seems ridiculous to think that being color blind should hold you back from practicing Ophthalmology but shouldn't hold you back from practicing Neurosurgery or Pathology. Ophthalmology is no different.

As far as legally - your residency training program and the American Board of Ophthalmology have the responsibility to determine who is capable of practicing Ophthalmology. If you were incapable of providing quality medical care to patients - it is the job of your residency program and these medical boards to catch that. 95+ percent of residency programs do not think this is even worth checking for. This means that 95+ percent of residency programs will gladly train you. The American Board of Ophthalmology and all State Medical Boards in the country also do not see this as a hindrance to providing quality medical care to patients. These are the experts and these boards have been around hundreds of years and their opinion on who should be practicing matters much more than a jury of 12 laymen who never went to medical school or examined a fundus.

It is definitely a tricky situation because although it is conceivable that a physician in any specialty without a great ability to distinguish certain colors may be at a disadvantage during their exam, the fact remains that there are so many other physical exam findings, history, and other clues involved in appropriately diagnosing and treating patients that do not rely on fine color discrimination. The fact also remains that almost everyone's color vision abilities are on a spectrum (remember the white and gold dress versus the blue and black dress internet image a couple of years ago). The fact also remains that in hundreds of years of medicine in this country, the medical boards and residency programs do not see this as a hindrance to providing quality care.

This should not hold you back from practicing Ophthalmology. I think you can be a fine eye surgeon and physician.
If, however, this issue still bothers you personally despite the facts outlined above, then I would consider applying for something else.

I appreciate the comments. FWIW: I recently shadowed an ophtho (retina) and had no issues identifying pathology under the scope. I got tested for stereovision and it's fine so I'm leaning heavily ophtho right now.

Are there any recent applicants who can comment on which programs test color vision on interview day? I'm concerned that if one program discovered I failed the Ishihara plates, they would contact other programs...

San Antonio requires you to fill out an eye exam form, which includes color vision.

Look at some retinal photos of various diseases at make sure you can differentiate heme from exudates, etc... Or better yet if you actually know how to see the retina on live patients, do that.

We're all just presuming what the world looks like to you but I don't really know. You obviously have to be able to differentiate heme on the retina from other things but I've found that turning on the green filter actually increases the contrast and lets me see heme in the retina more easily... on the other hand I switch off the filter to make sure it's heme and not exudate or something else.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the tips. I'm going to get checked for stereovision as soon as I can, too.

( I don't think I'll be applying to UAB or UTSW then :()
I’m colorblind as well. It’s something I’ve occasionally worried about for my future career as a physician. However, I was just accepted to UAB, and was never asked about my vision in conversation, nor was I tested. I know I’m late to this thread, but if you haven’t applied yet don’t let the advice above keep you from applying to certain schools.

Is this for med school or residency? I distinctly remember UAB ophtho asking for color testing from an ophthalmologist exam. Granted, this was many years ago. Did they change their policy?