Colorado State c/o 2021 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Doesn't seem like anyone else here is checking in as late as I am. My day is going to be school for the tour, then the VTH tour, then back to the school for lunch and the interview. :p At least the drives are short.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't seem like anyone else here is checking in as late as I am. My day is going to be school for the tour, then the VTH tour, then back to the school for lunch and the interview. :p At least the drives are short.

That's my schedule too! But I think my gap is after lunch, not before.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all over... and now we wait! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck everyone! Met some really cool people today.

I really enjoyed the campus, town and teaching hospital.

Loved it! The teaching hospital was top notch, current students seemed to really enjoy it, and it looks like there's a great emotional and financial support system. Love the area, too. The only con I see is the price tag for OOS.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't meet anyone unkind the whole time I was up there! Not to mention the school and VTH were wonderful.

Accepted OOS! :D Totally unexpected haha but so thankful!!!

Last edited:
I got an email that said I had a status update on my portal :)
Funnily enough I got that email too since I'm going to be in the c/o 2021 and they have info in the acceptance letter about orientation and things.

But also they sent this portal update out super late lol

Funnily enough I got that email too since I'm going to be in the c/o 2021 and they have info in the acceptance letter about orientation and things.

But also they sent this portal update out super late lol

Yeah I got mine at 9:06 pm (California time) haha

Just got an email saying my status has been updated. Accepted and IS!!!! I am crying!!! He only thing I'm wondering is that it states that the offer is provisional upon the successful completion of biochemistry. I already completed biochemistry in undergrad so... a bit confused.

Just got an email saying my status has been updated. Accepted and IS!!!! I am crying!!! He only thing I'm wondering is that it states that the offer is provisional upon the successful completion of biochemistry. I already completed biochemistry in undergrad so... a bit confused.
You should contact their office tomorrow and see what's up with that. I'm sure they'll help you sort it out.

Congratulations! :hardy:

You should contact their office tomorrow and see what's up with that. I'm sure they'll help you sort it out.

Congratulations! :hardy:
Definitely. Thank you! After being wait listed and rejected from all of the other schools, this is such a good feeling.

Part of me wishes I didn't check my email because now I can't sleep. :p

ACCEPTED!!! WOO HOO!! Can't wait to meet all ya'll in August!! Congrats everyone!

Ugh "nonsponsored alternate" on my portal... congrats to everyone who got accepted though! I really loved the program!

Accepted (OOS) - I couldn't imagine a better thing to wake up too!!!!

Congrats everybody who got accepted! I just got my acceptance this morning :D. The confetti was a nice touch haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted OOS!!!! I'm so excited, I already started looking for housing :)

Congrats to everyone who got accepted! I can't wait to meet you all in August!

I'M IN!!!! (IS) And attending!! Can't wait to meet you future classmates in August!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations everyone!!!!! It's so exciting to see you guys getting your acceptances!!!!!!!!!!

Can anybody comment on housing prices in Fort Collins? For 1-2 bedroom apartments if possible. I've looked quite a bit online, but most websites (from experience) tend to overshoot what I actually end up paying. I want to add this info to my spreadsheet. Thank you! :)

Yay! I was also accepted Non-sponsored but I hope to be brought into the WICHE program. Does anyone know about WICHE that can let me know how it works?

Can anybody comment on housing prices in Fort Collins? For 1-2 bedroom apartments if possible. I've looked quite a bit online, but most websites (from experience) tend to overshoot what I actually end up paying. I want to add this info to my spreadsheet. Thank you! :)
This depends a lot on how aggressively you apartment/house hunt. I know a few people who pay ~$350 a month/person but that is far from the norm and they tend to either be homeowners, live on the edge of town, etc. I think a more average range is usually in the neighborhood of $500-$800/mo +/- utilities. One bedrooms will be on the higher side of that range and two or three bedrooms will be on the lower end assuming you live with roommates (note I'm more unfamiliar with the cost of one bedrooms because I've always had a roommate).

If you live downtown (like Old Town Fort Collins) rent tends to be a bit higher, as well as if you look in the main housing streets right off campus that advertise to a lot of undergrads (these are usually off, like, Prospect, Elizabeth, etc on the west side of campus). The farther you're willing to live away from campus the better the housing prices will be (in general).

Something to remember too if you do want to live with roommates is that FoCo has a housing ordinance called U+2 where only 3 unrelated people can live in an apartment/house together unless the apartment/house is specifically zoned by the city to house more. Most 4+ bedroom houses aren't zoned to house 4+ unrelated people, so be careful if a landlord is trying to sell you really hard on living in a place but can't prove that many people can live there or if they try to make someone pay "under the table"/keep their name off the lease (this is relatively uncommon, but be careful regardless).

Also, a lot of people live in other towns like Loveland (bit more affordable), which is a ~20-30 something minute commute each way when the weather is good (depending on how far into Loveland you live). Sometimes if the weather is inclement the I25 will get shut down, but there are (generally) other roads to get from Loveland into FoCo.

I'm terrible at real estate hunting but I pay ~$450/month here. A lot of current veterinary students will post on class pages looking for roommates and that's how I stumbled into my current place.

This depends a lot on how aggressively you apartment/house hunt. I know a few people who pay ~$350 a month/person but that is far from the norm and they tend to either be homeowners, live on the edge of town, etc. I think a more average range is usually in the neighborhood of $500-$800/mo +/- utilities. One bedrooms will be on the higher side of that range and two or three bedrooms will be on the lower end assuming you live with roommates (note I'm more unfamiliar with the cost of one bedrooms because I've always had a roommate).

If you live downtown (like Old Town Fort Collins) rent tends to be a bit higher, as well as if you look in the main housing streets right off campus that advertise to a lot of undergrads (these are usually off, like, Prospect, Elizabeth, etc on the west side of campus). The farther you're willing to live away from campus the better the housing prices will be (in general).

Something to remember too if you do want to live with roommates is that FoCo has a housing ordinance called U+2 where only 3 unrelated people can live in an apartment/house together unless the apartment/house is specifically zoned by the city to house more. Most 4+ bedroom houses aren't zoned to house 4+ unrelated people, so be careful if a landlord is trying to sell you really hard on living in a place but can't prove that many people can live there or if they try to make someone pay "under the table"/keep their name off the lease (this is relatively uncommon, but be careful regardless).

Also, a lot of people live in other towns like Loveland (bit more affordable), which is a ~20-30 something minute commute each way when the weather is good (depending on how far into Loveland you live). Sometimes if the weather is inclement the I25 will get shut down, but there are (generally) other roads to get from Loveland into FoCo.

I'm terrible at real estate hunting but I pay ~$450/month here. A lot of current veterinary students will post on class pages looking for roommates and that's how I stumbled into my current place.

Thank you so much! This is so helpful. More affordable than I expected, so that's great to hear. I wouldn't mind having roommates, it's just if roommates would mind my monster of a cat :p

Yay! I was also accepted Non-sponsored but I hope to be brought into the WICHE program. Does anyone know about WICHE that can let me know how it works?

I'm a WICHE applicant, too! I probably don't know any more than you, but I was curious as to which state you're from? I'm from AZ and we haven't heard back about funding yet.

Yeah I wish I knew things about WICHE but the process is a mystery to me since I switched my residency out of a WICHE state long before I applied to vet school.

Thank you so much! This is so helpful. More affordable than I expected, so that's great to hear. I wouldn't mind having roommates, it's just if roommates would mind my monster of a cat :p
My cat is a butthead too, don't worry. My roommate decently tolerates his antics. :p

I'm a WICHE applicant, too! I probably don't know any more than you, but I was curious as to which state you're from? I'm from AZ and we haven't heard back about funding yet.
I'm also from Arizona. I talked to them yesterday and they said that they are not sure when they are meeting to vote on the budget. Make sure you send them a copy of your acceptance letter though.

I'm also from Arizona. I talked to them yesterday and they said that they are not sure when they are meeting to vote on the budget. Make sure you send them a copy of your acceptance letter though.

Well this makes me sad... last year people already knew by February whether they were getting funding or not :( We only send them a copy of an acceptance letter once we have decided where we are attending, right? I'm not sure yet.

I'm WICHE, it's a second alternate "pool" if you want to think of it that way. I really should know more about it, but wait until you hear back. If you don't get WICHE, you can still accept your OOS offer.

AZ was the last state to notify last year.

Accepted OOS for the FAVCIP program (I did my undergrad there). WE DID IT!

Weirdly, I did not recieve an email... but, I just checked and my status had been updated.

Non-sponsored alternate

Weirdly, I did not recieve an email... but, I just checked and my status had been updated.

Non-sponsored alternate

Me too, is CSU your first choice? I asked for more information about how many alternates there were and how many nonsponsored were offered admission, but they can't reveal that information I guess...

Good afternoon friends, I received a portal update this morning stating that I am an alternate (IS). I wish they revealed more info about alternates (wait-list position, statistics like percentage of alternates that get offered admission, maybe even breaking it down further by IS versus OOS, etc.). Any info from past or current DVM students would be awesome! Looking at the Waitlist Survivors' threads it looks like most of the CSU alternates find out between the months of April and June (due to federal law giving applicants until 15 Apr 17 to either accept or deny admission). Really hoping I get offered admission but April seems so far away haha. If I don't get offered admission does anyone know if CSU offers a "file review" after 15 Apr 17, I'm going to try again next year and I hope they critique my application. And lastly, will CSU tell you when the class fills up (therefore alternate status turns into rejection)? Thanks!!!

Anyway, congratulations to all that got offered an admission, I hope to join the ranks one day!

Me too, is CSU your first choice? I asked for more information about how many alternates there were and how many nonsponsored were offered admission, but they can't reveal that information I guess...

I got offered an alternate spot as well, it's too bad they don't reveal more information about alternates.

I got offered an alternate spot as well, it's too bad they don't reveal more information about alternates.

Ya I'm pretty disappointed. I loved the CSU program so much but I feel like it would be risky to not accept another offer (granted I get one) while waiting to hear about my alternate status...