Colorado State c/o 2021 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have found this website for MMI that might help you. https://multipleminiinterview.com/ I have never had an interview with this format though. Does anyone know if this means the interviews are closed file? Would this mean that no questions pertain to past experiences or the courses we have taken?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked a friend about MMI, who interviewed this format at A&M (and was accepted). She said it went like this:

She was expecting her interview to start at 3:10 but she was actually given a presentation with 11 others for an hour about MMI and how you're supposed to answer, why they are doing them this way, etc. Her interview didn't start until about 4:10 (which is when everyone in her group started). There were 12 rooms and you're assigned one to start with, hers was room 6 of blue track (there was also a red track). She had 2 minutes to read the prompt on the door and take notes, was then allowed to enter the room. She said "Hello, thanks for having me" or something along those lines but she wasn't allowed to introduce herself. They say back something like, "Thanks for coming. You can start"... She then presented her viewpoint on the topic and had 6 minutes to do so. The interviewers weren't allowed to smile or nod or anything that might be considered to encourage her. After the 6 mins was up, someone knocked on the door and she left. She had 2 minutes to regroup then the next 2 minutes was reading the prompt on the door again and going in to present. She started at room 6 blue then went to 1-2-3-4-5 blue and was done. She said she cried lol but was later told she was the 3rd best of the interviewees.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else on here apply to the FAVCIP program and hoping to use it as a backup plan?

I have found this website for MMI that might help you. https://multipleminiinterview.com/ I have never had an interview with this format though. Does anyone know if this means the interviews are closed file? Would this mean that no questions pertain to past experiences or the courses we have taken?
Yes, that is exactly what will happen. The interviewers will not have any information about us and do not have access to our applications. They won't know where we are from, our undergrad GPA's, etc. They will only know our names if we are given name tags. I think they are trying to keep the 50% application and 50% interview scores as objective as possible. Good luck! :)

Yes, that is exactly what will happen. The interviewers will not have any information about us and do not have access to our applications. They won't know where we are from, our undergrad GPA's, etc. They will only know our names if we are given name tags. I think they are trying to keep the 50% application and 50% interview scores as objective as possible. Good luck! :)

Do you know if this is how Colorado does it, because for Davis its 100% interview. -.- Really doesnt favor the introverts haha

Do you know if this is how Colorado does it, because for Davis its 100% interview. -.- Really doesnt favor the introverts haha

Yeah it is 50/50 for CSU. I relate to this too much :lame: MMI is way too intense for me haha

I'm an introvert as well and I am thoroughly concerned

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

A lot of people actually end up enjoying (or at least not hating) MMI style interviews. I didn't, but most people really seem like it was okay for them. I'm not trying to scare fellow introverts, so I apologize haha. I'm sure many introverts do well with MMI. I just know it doesn't really mesh well with me personally.

If you go into it with a good attitude, you very well may be pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Also, I think most of my problems come from the fact that I am shy and get excessively nervous about interviews--not from the fact I'm an introvert. Hope that clarifies a little better since shyness/introversion are very different for a lot of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm very introverted but the MMIs really aren't that awful, and the interviewers understand that you're nervous. Go into them with a positive outlook and they aren't as bad as they sound initially.

I just wanted to add that one plus about MMI's is the fact that you get a little time to analyze the prompt before you are asked questions by the interviewers. That's good from the perspective of an introvert because you get a moment to compose your thoughts before actually interacting with anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a bit nervous about the MMI format as well. Looking at the example questions I feel like I would end up going around and around in circles haha.

Just a heads up to people coming from out of state, weather is looking pretty good. There's a slight chance of snow on Sunday the 15th, however. Make sure you all dress warm because the highs will be in the 30s!

We recently got hit by a pretty bad snow storm but hopefully by the weekend the roads will be completely clear.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just declined my interview so hopefully there will be an opening for someone! Good luck everyone! :)

Does anyone have any tips for interview attire in cold weather or possibly snow? My interview is on Sunday and I'm from Texas. If it snows here, everything gets shut down and we stay home so this will be a new experience for me :angelic:
I normally wear ballet flats to interviews, but I'm guessing flat ankle boots will be more appropriate? Also, will there be a place to hang our coats, gloves etc?

I'd also like to say that I had surgery right before the time I was offered an interview and I actually forgot to register online with all the meds I was on. I thought it was hopeless but I decided to call a week ago and I was offered an interview regardless! They were super understanding and seem like a great school :)

Thank you everyone and good luck!

Does anyone have any tips for interview attire in cold weather or possibly snow? My interview is on Sunday and I'm from Texas. If it snows here, everything gets shut down and we stay home so this will be a new experience for me :angelic:
I normally wear ballet flats to interviews, but I'm guessing flat ankle boots will be more appropriate? Also, will there be a place to hang our coats, gloves etc?

I'd also like to say that I had surgery right before the time I was offered an interview and I actually forgot to register online with all the meds I was on. I thought it was hopeless but I decided to call a week ago and I was offered an interview regardless! They were super understanding and seem like a great school :)

I've interviewed in some snowy states and I was fine with a scarf, gloves, and a nice overcoat. I also had an umbrella but did not really need it. I found there was always somewhere to put things, as well. I'm from a warm place and I don't usually get snow--it was actually really nice (except sometimes it was really warm indoors!).

Reactions: 1 users

Layers will get you far in terms of keeping warn! Also keep in mind that inside it'll be a normal temperature, so I wouldn't wear anything that would make you uncomfortable indoors that you couldn't easily take off. I'm not sure if they'll have a place for coats and bags and such, as this is the school's first time doing interviews in a long time, but I would imagine they probably would if they don't want interviewees bringing extraneous items into the interview rooms. You could also call the school up and ask, as I'm sure they know what they're doing with all that.

I will also add that if the weather is really bad you should try to wear shoes with good grip/traction. A lot of people try to wear things with smooth leather soles when it first snows (we especially get a lot of undergrads who think it's a good idea to wear cowboy boots lol), but those are basically asking for you to slip on ice. Luckily the student center is usually pretty well cleared when the weather is bad, but I don't know how fast/great the snow clearing would be on a weekend when school isn't in session.

If you normally wear ballet flats to interviews, why not bring them along with you? I've definitely gone to interviews and formal events wearing good shoes for the weather and then changed into something I actually wanted to wear for the interview once I got there. Whatever makes you comfortable is the best, in my opinion.

Who is interviewing Saturday? I've seen most are interviewing Sunday.

Also, those of you that are local - will it be reasonable to rent a car in Denver and drive to Fort Collins? I.e. something without snow chains and 4WD ??? Thanks guys, I'm so excited!

Also, those of you that are local - will it be reasonable to rent a car in Denver and drive to Fort Collins? I.e. something without snow chains and 4WD ??? Thanks guys, I'm so excited!
I'm interviewing on Saturday. :)

It is reasonable, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. As someone who makes the drive from Denver to FoCo and back on a weekly basis, the drive can be pretty unpredictable. There have been days where it has taken 3 hours for me to drive from one place to the other because of traffic (and that's on a nice summer day). My car is 4WD and it still has trouble in the snow sometimes, but hopefully the weather will be good this weekend. That's just my personal opinion, though. I'm not the most confident in my driving skills so if I were coming from OOS I would just find a place to stay in FoCo. :p Just remember that depending on where you are staying in Denver, it can take up to 2 hours to get to FoCo. I'd say if you're up in North Denver maybe 45 minutes? I come from SE Denver and it takes me on average 1.5 hours to get up here.

I'm interviewing on Saturday. :)

It is reasonable, but I personally wouldn't recommend it. As someone who makes the drive from Denver to FoCo and back on a weekly basis, the drive can be pretty unpredictable. There have been days where it has taken 3 hours for me to drive from one place to the other because of traffic (and that's on a nice summer day). My car is 4WD and it still has trouble in the snow sometimes, but hopefully the weather will be good this weekend. That's just my personal opinion, though. I'm not the most confident in my driving skills so if I were coming from OOS I would just find a place to stay in FoCo. :p Just remember that depending on where you are staying in Denver, it can take up to 2 hours to get to FoCo. I'd say if you're up in North Denver maybe 45 minutes? I come from SE Denver and it takes me on average 1.5 hours to get up here.

I will be staying in FoCo (nice acronym, thx!) but am flying into Denver and want to rent a car. When I say car I mean like Honda Accord size. I didn't know if this was feasible? Or if I would need to pay the extra $ for something giant and capable.

I will be staying in FoCo (nice acronym, thx!) but am flying into Denver and want to rent a car. When I say car I mean like Honda Accord size. I didn't know if this was feasible? Or if I would need to pay the extra $ for something giant and capable.
Oh! I would say that a sedan would be fine. The drive is basically a straight shot up I-25 and it's pretty easy.

I don't think we're supposed to get any extreme weather this weekend. You'll be 100% fine in a normal car. All the snow we got last week is gone. Driving from Denver's airport to Fort Collins is absolutely the most convenient option, in my experience.

Oh! I would say that a sedan would be fine. The drive is basically a straight shot up I-25 and it's pretty easy.
Plus if the weather is bad enough that you truly need a 4WD beast to make the drive from Denver to FoCo they usually shut down the I25 anyway so it would be a moot point.

Plus if the weather is bad enough that you truly need a 4WD beast to make the drive from Denver to FoCo they usually shut down the I25 anyway so it would be a moot point.

I was about to say, if you need 4WD going north on I-25, you don't want to be going north on I-25. Lol

Got an email earlier today with my interview time and other details. My interview is at 3:15PM. :arghh:

Did yours say that was the actual interview time? Mine just said check-in at 12:45
They may not give you an actual interview time. I know at TAMU they gave us a time that I thought our interviews would start at but there ended up being some nice interview orientation things for about an hour before our actual interview so we "started" later than I thought we would.

As long as you all are there by whatever check in time they gave you, you should be fine! :D

They may not give you an actual interview time. I know at TAMU they gave us a time that I thought our interviews would start at but there ended up being some nice interview orientation things for about an hour before our actual interview so we "started" later than I thought we would.

As long as you all are there by whatever check in time they gave you, you should be fine! :D

Thank you!

You're right - I meant check in. :p It's going to be the latest interview I've had. :bigtears:

Haha you scared me for a second! That is really late. Especially with all the tours for the afternoon interviewees being in the morning

Haha you scared me for a second! That is really late. Especially with all the tours for the afternoon interviewees being in the morning
Yeah. I struggle with appreciating the lunch and tours when the interview is looming over my head. That's why, when given the option, I choose one of the earliest interview times. :p Seems like they might have gone by last name based on all the other info in the email. Oh well. I'm excited but nervous.:)

You're right - I meant check in. :p It's going to be the latest interview I've had. :bigtears:

For those of you out there with a 12:45 meeting time, are you as unclear as I am when you're supposed to go on the tour? The different options were "if your interview is before lunch, go on the tour at XX:XX, if your interview is after lunch, go on the XX:XX"....but the 12:45 is in the middle of lunch...?

For those of you out there with a 12:45 meeting time, are you as unclear as I am when you're supposed to go on the tour? The different options were "if your interview is before lunch, go on the tour at XX:XX, if your interview is after lunch, go on the XX:XX"....but the 12:45 is in the middle of lunch...?

Hahaha I'm right there with you!

If you guys call then, I'm sure CSU's admissions would be willing to let you know

Do you guys have any idea how many applicants are being interviewed? I'm sure the answer is "no" but I figured I would ask out of curiosity. That would give us a better idea of our chances after interviewing.

My check-in is 10:30am Saturday... maybe I will see some of you there! Luckily mine will be done and out of the way before lunch and tours.

my interview is sunday. I decided to do the shuttle to and from the airport since I have experience driving through mountains but not in the snow.

Ya I'm confused... the email doesn't say our exact interview time, just what time we check in, so I'm assuming the interview is shortly after check in? Mine says check in at 9:15

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mine says to check in at 8am on Sunday. Are they gonna give us all a lecture about what to expect with mmi's??

How have you guys been preparing? Have you done any prep at all? I've done a little

How have you guys been preparing? Have you done any prep at all? I've done a little

I'm not really sure what we can do to prepare because we really don't know what kind of scenarios they will give us. So I haven't really done any prep. I think just doing an MMI before is all that really helps.

Mine says to check in at 8am on Sunday. Are they gonna give us all a lecture about what to expect with mmi's??

Yup, one of the previous emails said we will have a 20 minute interview prep session after our check-in. They will probably give us details about the interview then.

Just so everyone knows, I know its 6 stations with 2 minutes to read your scenario and come up with a response and 6 minutes to answer in the room.

Just so everyone knows, I know its 6 stations with 2 minutes to read your scenario and come up with a response and 6 minutes to answer in the room.

You interviewed at Davis, right? I was just curious if you think it is standard for the MMI to have 2-3 questions after entering the room, or if that was just Davis? Because I don't think I could answer one question and have it fill the entire time... lol

I don't know that there is much we can do other than practicing speaking eloquently for 6 minutes. I've gone over some practice questions but I'm sure they will be different so I doubt it's going to help much. I don't want to stress about it, so I'm trying to be in the mindset that I'm just going to be myself and let my experiences shine through in my answers when applicable.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You interviewed at Davis, right? I was just curious if you think it is standard for the MMI to have 2-3 questions after entering the room, or if that was just Davis? Because I don't think I could answer one question and have it fill the entire time... lol

Yeah! Haha I think that was just unique to Davis. But that's just based on what I've read about MMIs in general. I think it's more typical that you actually are told to take a position or something on your scenario and then you go in the room and just talk about it. They may have follow up questions. And I didn't even end up talking the whole time in the Davis interview...maybe that's why I was rejected lol

Yeah! Haha I think that was just unique to Davis. But that's just based on what I've read about MMIs in general. I think it's more typical that you actually are told to take a position or something on your scenario and then you go in the room and just talk about it. They may have follow up questions. And I didn't even end up talking the whole time in the Davis interview...maybe that's why I was rejected lol

Thanks for the input! I speak pretty concisely in interviews as well so I definitely need to think about this. I appreciate it :)

anyone interviewing this weekend? I arrive in Denver Saturday morning and have my interview on Sunday

anyone interviewing this weekend? I arrive in Denver Saturday morning and have my interview on Sunday
We are all interviewing this weekend! I'm in Fort Collins already, my interview check-in is tomorrow at 9:15 !!!

I'm quite nervous and excited! Yikes!

Reactions: 3 users
We are all interviewing this weekend! I'm in Fort Collins already, my interview check-in is tomorrow at 9:15 !!!

I'm quite nervous and excited! Yikes!
Good luck! Don't sweat it, I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Hope you have a fun interview!

Reactions: 2 users