Colorado State c/o 2021 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this the CSA portal?

Members don't see this ad.

Reject via portal... and just about to graduate.. damn

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all those who have interview invites! And I extend my sorrows to my fellow rejectees...we'll make it to veterinary school some day. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I just received an email about an update in my portal. Portal says denied. Over 2000 applicants... Wow.

Sent from my SM-S906L using SDN mobile

Is it usually snowy and icy on the roads in January? Meaning--if I am renting a car and getting in maybe around midnight the day of my interview, is it safe to drive to a hotel near the school or is there a specific type of rental car I should think about getting? I've never driven in snowy weather (and I'm sure it's not good to start learning in the middle of the night).

Hi! I'm a senior at CSU right now - and I would say to expect some (or a lot) of snow and ice in January! I don't want to worry you but I would say more often we have snow around that time of year than not. I would keep an eye on the weather and definitely rent a car with 4 or AWD (I drive a subaru with AWD and it does great in the snow, even in poor road conditions) If you could avoid driving at night with snow (especially on I-25) that might be safer but I think I remember seeing you have a lot of interviews to manage, so that's understandable. They typically keep the roads around campus and Fort Collins pretty well managed. If you have any questions feel free to message me! :) Congrats on your interview and be safe!

Denied :(
Congratulations to all the successful applicants!
Good luck with interviews!

Aw...still on phone and havent attempted to access portal, but since I haven't received an email still and no one had stated they received a deny email, I figured things weren't looking good. Congrats to all who got invites, and everyone else who's in the denial boat--I'm rooting for you!

Denied for MPH/DVM program per portal page - which I suppose they consider differently from the regular pool then? Haven't heard about my status for the regular pool through e-mail or the portal...dying inside right now!!
Did yours say DVM/MPH specifically bc mine did not and I was denied.

Is it usually snowy and icy on the roads in January? Meaning--if I am renting a car and getting in maybe around midnight the day of my interview, is it safe to drive to a hotel near the school or is there a specific type of rental car I should think about getting? I've never driven in snowy weather (and I'm sure it's not good to start learning in the middle of the night).

Hi! I'm a senior at CSU right now - and I would say to expect some (or a lot) of snow and ice in January! I don't want to worry you but I would say more often we have snow around that time of year than not. I would keep an eye on the weather and definitely rent a car with 4 or AWD (I drive a subaru with AWD and it does great in the snow, even in poor road conditions) If you could avoid driving at night with snow (especially on I-25) that might be safer but I think I remember seeing you have a lot of interviews to manage, so that's understandable. They typically keep the roads around campus and Fort Collins pretty well managed. If you have any questions feel free to message me! :) Congrats on your interview and be safe!
Yeah, CO has crazy weather that does what it wants (I've seen times where it snowed one day and was 70 degrees the next) so I would be prepared for snow just in case.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who got denials, did you ever receive an email? I still haven't received any email. I'm also wondering about the portal, because I was assuming you guys meant the account for our supplemental application. Looking at that I only see "submitted." So, just curious as to how those who are denied know that for sure?
Yes, I got an email telling me a decision was made and to check the portal for the results. I was also denied.

Also, sorry to everyone who was denied. :( I find it odd that all of you didn't get emails just telling you to check your portals, my acceptance email last year just told me to check my portal so I find it interesting that all of the emails didn't say that.

Anyway, 2000+ applicants is INSANELY competitive and you all shouldn't beat yourselves up over not getting an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually scratch that, I apparently received an email at 5:46pm, only saying that an update had been posted to my portal. Deny for combined uaf/CSU program, link to see app status, deny.

2nd rejection. Not oooking great for the other schools I'm waiting to hear from. I need some damn happy news in my life!

Just checked my email and portal about 30 minutes ago to find out I was also rejected. Good luck during the rest of the interview process and congratulations to everyone who did receive an invite to interview! To those of us who didn't get an invite this time around, it's okay! Did you see how many people applied?! Lol

I'm sorry to all of those that got denied. :( I bet you'll get in elsewhere!

Anyone know how many people are being interviewed?

2nd rejection. Not oooking great for the other schools I'm waiting to hear from. I need some damn happy news in my life!

It's Friday and the weekend begins

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone's applicant page still show that their GRE scores weren't received?

Does anyone know how many interviews are being offered?

Reactions: 1 user
I've been watching this thread like a hawk all day. I never received my email so I logged in to check my 'status'.
I was also rejected. Ugh...
Congratulations to all those who were offered an interview!

Thank you! I will message you.

The school suggests using best western or Hilton and making use of a group rate, if anyone is familiar with the area can you suggest any reasonable hotels? And if there's anyone else flying in Saturday night who may want to join up for the night, PM me

The school suggests using best western or Hilton and making use of a group rate, if anyone is familiar with the area can you suggest any reasonable hotels? And if there's anyone else flying in Saturday night who may want to join up for the night, PM me
I'll PM you.

Did they say where interviews would be held? At the Teaching Hospital or on main campus? That will probably impact your choice of hotel.

Based on what they suggested it sounds like they're planning on holding interviews at main campus but it's always good to check.

Did they say where interviews would be held? At the Teaching Hospital or on main campus? That will probably impact your choice of hotel.

Based on what they suggested it sounds like they're planning on holding interviews at main campus but it's always good to check.

Check in is 3rd floor of Lory Student Center

Did yours say DVM/MPH specifically bc mine did not and I was denied.
Yeah, mine said so at the top of my supplemental application page, saying that I was being considered for the general admissions pool. The deny for my general admissions pool came in the form of a link stating that I had an updated status, which lead me to my rejection letter.

I haven't actually stayed in any of the hotels, but my parents have. The Hilton is right across from where the anatomy lab is on the main campus and closer to the VTH by driving, probably a 15 minute walk to the student center where the interviews are. The Best Western University Inn isn't as nice, but my parents haven't minded staying there a couple times, and it's right across from the oval and main campus, and it's also closer to Old Town, which is my favorite part of Fort Collins. There's a lot of good restaurants there and little shops (I figure you won't have time to shop, but definitely check out the food). You'd probably be about a 15-20 minute drive to the VTH from best western and again could walk to your interview! If you get a hotel down south on college (my parents sometimes do that to save $) just expect to deal with a little traffic to get to main campus, as they're doing some construction. I suggest taking shields instead of college to get around town! Hope that helps :)

I haven't actually stayed in any of the hotels, but my parents have. The Hilton is right across from where the anatomy lab is on the main campus and closer to the VTH by driving, probably a 15 minute walk to the student center where the interviews are. The Best Western University Inn isn't as nice, but my parents haven't minded staying there a couple times, and it's right across from the oval and main campus, and it's also closer to Old Town, which is my favorite part of Fort Collins. There's a lot of good restaurants there and little shops (I figure you won't have time to shop, but definitely check out the food). You'd probably be about a 15-20 minute drive to the VTH from best western and again could walk to your interview! If you get a hotel down south on college (my parents sometimes do that to save $) just expect to deal with a little traffic to get to main campus, as they're doing some construction. I suggest taking shields instead of college to get around town! Hope that helps :)

Also I say walk to your interview because I walk to campus all the time, but if it's blizzarding there's buses and parking at the LSC. Haha

Reactions: 1 users
Somehow got an interview as an OOS. :) I snagged a cheap airbnb right next to campus and so the interview will be about a 15min walk away. Still debating if I want to rent a car or just take the shuttle and uber around. Leaning towards the latter because I dont know how to deal with snow/ice. Benefit of being in a gap year and having a flexible job is that I get to spend two extra days in Fort Collins to explore and get to know it better!!! I'll be interviewing Sunday but will have all day Saturday and Monday to do stuff. Any locals have any suggestions for must-do activities/places to eat etc? Also feel free to PM me if anyone wants to hang out on Sat/Mon since I'll be a solo traveler and will be quite the loner lol.

Somehow got an interview as an OOS. :) I snagged a cheap airbnb right next to campus and so the interview will be about a 15min walk away. Still debating if I want to rent a car or just take the shuttle and uber around. Leaning towards the latter because I dont know how to deal with snow/ice. Benefit of being in a gap year and having a flexible job is that I get to spend two extra days in Fort Collins to explore and get to know it better!!! I'll be interviewing Sunday but will have all day Saturday and Monday to do stuff. Any locals have any suggestions for must-do activities/places to eat etc? Also feel free to PM me if anyone wants to hang out on Sat/Mon since I'll be a solo traveler and will be quite the loner lol.

I'll be around on Saturday, would love to meet up and explore.

Is there going to be a luncheon and dinner/reception on both days?

I am flying down Friday and staying in Denver with friends for free instead of paying for a hotel. I will drive up from Denver to Fort Collins for my interview Saturday. How bad are the roads around January time of year? How early should I leave before my interview to account for roads?

I am flying down Friday and staying in Denver with friends for free instead of paying for a hotel. I will drive up from Denver to Fort Collins for my interview Saturday. How bad are the roads around January time of year? How early should I leave before my interview to account for roads?

I live in Denver and am staying at an Air Bnb Saturday night in Fort Collins (for $30 a night!) - the roads might be fine but they might be awful (in Colorado, you NEVER know!!!)

My thought was, if my interview is scheduled at 8 am, and it's blizzarding out, do I really want to start driving from Denver at 5am?

I live in Denver and am staying at an Air Bnb Saturday night in Fort Collins (for $30 a night!) - the roads might be fine but they might be awful (in Colorado, you NEVER know!!!)

My thought was, if my interview is scheduled at 8 am, and it's blizzarding out, do I really want to start driving from Denver at 5am?

Yea I thought about that, but the issue is I don't have a car and can't rent a car as I am not 25. The people I would stay with in Denver were willing to let me borrow their car. I would like to be closer at a cheap airbnb, but have no way to get to the school from there.

Yea I thought about that, but the issue is I don't have a car and can't rent a car as I am not 25. The people I would stay with in Denver were willing to let me borrow their car. I would like to be closer at a cheap airbnb, but have no way to get to the school from there.

Uber or lyft

You can pay a little extra to rent a car under 25!

I'm down! My interview is Sunday as well. Worried about the weather - hopefully flying in early on Saturday will be okay!

My interview is Saturday! I wish I knew a time, flights are cheaper Sat PM than Sunday. I'd love to hang with some other peeps???

air bnb seems to be pretty huge up here - and MUCH cheaper than hotels, in my experience.

Reactions: 1 users
My interview is Saturday! I wish I knew a time, flights are cheaper Sat PM than Sunday. I'd love to hang with some other peeps???

There are a couple of us meeting up Saturday night for dinner! Let me see if I can add you to the conversation, if you would like.

To applicants that absolutely love Colorado (or current students) what are your big pros and cons about the program/ the location/ the school in general. I already know it's expensive which is a negative. I have an interview scheduled but have received some acceptances already and am trying to budget my travel and money appropriately. I'm planning to attend the interview as of now but I want to know what people really love about the school and why it might be a good choice over some other top tier options.

To applicants that absolutely love Colorado (or current students) what are your big pros and cons about the program/ the location/ the school in general. I already know it's expensive which is a negative. I have an interview scheduled but have received some acceptances already and am trying to budget my travel and money appropriately. I'm planning to attend the interview as of now but I want to know what people really love about the school and why it might be a good choice over some other top tier options.

Also to tag onto this, any current students have input on what the scholarship and financial aid situation is like for out of state?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also to tag onto this, any current students have input on what the scholarship and financial aid situation is like for out of state?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
As far as scholarships go, there are maybe 4 specialized ones for first years to apply to (like shelter medicine, lab animal), otherwise first years aren't eligible for anything, at least not through CSU.
Financial aid/loans are definitely available to non-sponsored students.

Can't say myself but can always check the factor sticky

so what is everyone doing to prepare for the Colorado State interview?