College / Studying / Tips / Main Idea

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've come up with some college tips, if anyone has any recommendations or think I should change something let me know! Opinions and comments welcome.

Tips:
- Do your homework (all the time) mostly the night of, unless something else takes priority.
- Complete the Essays at bare minimum 2 or 3 days before it's due. (don't procrastinate)
- Do your reading / take notes from the book on primary topics.
- Get good rest. (70% of college students suffer from sleep deprivation)
- Use effective Time Management! Super important.
- Participation is easy if the professor requires it for points, super easy just do it.
- Do all extra credit opportunities provided, even if you have an A.
- Study in different locations.
- CRITICAL Take a break every 45 minutes of studying. Science has shown you are less productive after this, take a 5 to 10 minute break and move around.
- If you get bored study with a buddy who is also motivated.
- Listen to classical music if you are tired while studying.
- Keep in prospective the main idea, an example; I'd like to be a trauma surgeon someday.
- Drink healthy juices or water / Good Snacks That Include protein could help too.
Just thought I'd share some of my ideas, I know for some people this isn't all possible. But, it's the general idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Do you have a studyblr on tumblr? I'm pretty sure the community will appreciate this.
I take a break every 25 minutes of studying for 5 minutes its called the Pomodoro Technique.

When studying, pause every now and then and ask if you could teach the material to another person. Or pause and be able to summarize information in your own words. This may seem like it takes time, but it makes for longer retention. If you start this method early with class notes, it makes studying for exams much easier and avoids cramming headaches.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When studying, pause every now and then and ask if you could teach the material to another person. Or pause and be able to summarize information in your own words. This may seem like it takes time, but it makes for longer retention. If you start this method early with class notes, it makes studying for exams much easier and avoids cramming headaches.
My goodness your answers are all over the place on my posts! Another good tip!!! Thanks. :)

if you can get your hands on a decent sized white board.. do it!

Visit your professor's office hours and review some notes before class starts.

Hello Grapp,

Your ideas and suggestions are awesome. It is always nice to prepare days ahead, even when the due date is long far. It makes us see earlier problems and have plenty of time to solve it, or it is done, we will have more extra time to do for some other things.

Participation is very important – active listening. Review starts daily at the end of every lesson –not when exam approaches.

Short breaks are good. It energizes us.

Motivations is the key, know why we do this and what for.

Check this link for the test taking tips, a very good read. http://www.testtakingtips.com/study/
Check out my article on the Student Doctor Network:
http://www.studentdoctor.net/2016/02/study-smarter/

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I've come up with some college tips, if anyone has any recommendations or think I should change something let me know! Opinions and comments welcome.

Tips:
- Do your homework (all the time) mostly the night of, unless something else takes priority.
- Complete the Essays at bare minimum 2 or 3 days before it's due. (don't procrastinate)
- Participation is easy if the professor requires it for points, super easy just do it.
- CRITICAL Take a break every 45 minutes of studying. Science has shown you are less productive after this, take a 5 to 10 minute break and move around.
- Keep in prospective the main idea, an example; I'd like to be a trauma surgeon someday.

Just thought I'd share some of my ideas, I know for some people this isn't all possible. But, it's the general idea.
Great tips! Thank you!

The best way to remember what you read is to write/note it down.

If you find a topic or concept going over your head, just write it down twice and thrice while you're reading it up.
Trust me. It all comes back to you later.

Drink a glass of water every 30 minutes while studying. It relieves the stress and freshens up the mind.

Just add it to your list if you find it useful.

Hi,

Tips:

This is from Purplespider:
Thank you for writing such great tips in order to help college students. I believe that it is vital that college students know how to study and know how to do things so that when they get there, they are not worried or frustrated. I did not have it so lucky. When I was in college, I struggled because I did not know how to study in college. It was not until I took Psych 100 that told me all of these tips and more. After I learned that, I then became better at my college work and decided that I needed to tell others. So, I told my friends and classmates. Now, I am telling people on forums to learn all that you can about studying in college from your high school teachers. They will definitely help and guide you on certain aspects of how to study and tips in general. Thank you for allowing me to respond to the forum.

This is from Purplespider:
Thank you for writing such great tips in order to help college students. I believe that it is vital that college students know how to study and know how to do things so that when they get there, they are not worried or frustrated. I did not have it so lucky. When I was in college, I struggled because I did not know how to study in college. It was not until I took Psych 100 that told me all of these tips and more. After I learned that, I then became better at my college work and decided that I needed to tell others. So, I told my friends and classmates. Now, I am telling people on forums to learn all that you can about studying in college from your high school teachers. They will definitely help and guide you on certain aspects of how to study and tips in general. Thank you for allowing me to respond to the forum.
What is the main idea of your success? I didn't understand how you improved yourself?

Keep in mind that the choices I make now will reflect back in future. So if you procrastinate now then you will have a cramp later

Here's a good tip, when you're balls deep into hour 6 of studying, take a small break and go watch a procedure on YouTube that interests you. It really helps you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hi,

Tips:
- Drink healthy juices or water / Good Snacks That Include protein could help too.

Great tips! Another one is that during your break DO NOT go on social media. No checking FB, Twitter, etc. because the 5-10 minute break can quickly turn into 30 minutes or an hour. I learned that one the hard way lol.