coding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdoc1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am getting a number of referrals of adults wanting to know if they have ADHD. I really dislike these but try to be complete as possible. I am starting to administer the Barkley Adult ADHD Rating Scale - IV. Besides billing a new patient code, is there an add on code I can do for this as well? I know for MoCA as I asked in another thread that there really isn't anything else I can bill additionally so I take it the same applies if I administer a Barkley? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I am getting a number of referrals of adults wanting to know if they have ADHD. I really dislike these but try to be complete as possible. I am starting to administer the Barkley Adult ADHD Rating Scale - IV. Besides billing a new patient code, is there an add on code I can do for this as well? I know for MoCA as I asked in another thread that there really isn't anything else I can bill additionally so I take it the same applies if I administer a Barkley? Thanks!

These things are considered an incidental service of the clinical interview.

How widespread is use or authorization for that code. It looks like an extra $5.50 for one medicaid provider that I looked up?

No PA required, but I would think that reimbursement rate would keep abuse/misuse to a minimum.

How widespread is use or authorization for that code. It looks like an extra $5.50 for one medicaid provider that I looked up?

No PA required, but I would think that reimbursement rate would keep abuse/misuse to a minimum.

Just to clarify, I welcome a more standardized and robust way of getting symptom history that is used by multiple providers and disciplines that does engage or abuse myths that suggest some kind of giant neuropsych evaluation is needed to verify AD/HD. Most individuals with AD/HD will have intact cognitive profiles, which makes extensive testing of cognition useless for purely diagnostic purposes.

Not very widespread, I think it came out last year. Pretty weak compensation, but if you are already doing a screen anyway might as well tack it on. I code for interactive complexity whenever I can and it pays about $8.