Clinical rotations out of state a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newptstudent88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am getting ready to start a DPT program and have to answer some questions. I will be attending a program in Arizona, but would like to move to California and practice out there. Do you guys think it would necessary to do an out of state rotation outside the state, or do you think I would be fine just doing rotations inside the area and state?

I am filling out a form and have to list whether or not I am open to traveling out of state.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I am getting ready to start a DPT program and have to answer some questions. I will be attending a program in Arizona, but would like to move to California and practice out there. Do you guys think it would necessary to do an out of state rotation outside the state, or do you think I would be fine just doing rotations inside the area and state?

I am filling out a form and have to list whether or not I am open to traveling out of state.

You should be rotating where you can complete requirements and save costs. Schools are starting to consolidate and are having a harder time with out of state placements now. This will most likely affect you.

You can move wherever there is a job following graduation. Connections do help tho

Reactions: 1 user
Also keep in mind that California has particular requirements to be able to do a clinical there. Im from California and currently attend school in Tennessee. When I inquired about doing a clinical back home however, I was denied because of some of the rules with clinicals or insurance. Id talk to my clinical instructor to see if it is allowed with your university.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly think it is a good idea. I went to school in California and had all my internships in California, but my friends that wanted to travel to places like Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Utah, etc. had a blast and got to explore a new environment. I think if you have the resources, you should do it. I certainly wish I got to travel and hike around other states.