Clinical Research Coordinator/Assistant To PA School Success Stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zahle427

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, I did use the search function and have read quite a bit of information regarding this situation. However, I figured that I would word it in my own way in hopes that others can benefit should they find themselves in a similar predicament!

I was offered a position as a Research Study Assistant at a very prominent hospital/cancer research center and was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience prior to being accepted at a PA program. I have spoken to some who have gone this route but I am not sure if this is something that is common. Based on my research, I have discovered mixed results.

I graduated with a degree in Business Administration but healthcare and putting others first has always motivated me to no end. I do have the option of looking into some other positions such as a physical therapy aide, occupational therapy aide ,and others of similar fashions.

This research position would be my first official job out of college (graduating late at 24/25 due to health reasons) and I am wondering if I should just go through with it or spend a little more time and get something where there is more direct patient care experience.

Thank you all for reading this message and I look forward to hearing some of your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

some places accept this type of experience. many do not, check with individual programs.

The biggest factor will be what type of grades you have. If your marks are excellent, then you'll easily find a program out there to take you. Some pa schools want lots of experience, some want token experience as an entry level healthcare worker. Some programs don't care what your experience is (or if you have any). I could name a bunch off the top of my head in each category, but it would be best for you to immerse yourself in the Internet and familiarize yourself with the lay of the land. Most people I know that went to PA school had minimal health care experience, and several had just university research laboratory experience (and good grades). Don't pass up a good job thinking that getting an entry level healthcare job is necessary. It's absolutely not.

It depends on your role/job duties. I am currently a clinical research coordinator, and every day I am working directly with patients - taking vitals, doing ECGs, drawing blood, etc. I had no problem getting into four programs this cycle.