Clinical medicine to EMR and now back to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIJay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Wanted to share my story for all if it helps anyone. long story short, started off in residency training, burnt out, left, found a job doing EMR/Epic optimization/implementation, found out i miss clinical medicine, decided to go with match again, 1st time (2015) received only a small handful of IV (applied mainly IM, FM), didn't match. This year applied again and added peds, prelim med, prelim surg, TY and ended up matching to a TY yr with no advance spot yet. While I don't have a secured 2nd yr spot, I am happy that I matched somewhere and got my foot in the door.
my YOG is 2010, step 1-230, step 2-237, step 2 cs and step 3 are pass, all on 1st attempt. US IMG from SGU. Since 2010 to this cycle i applied for the match x 4, failed to match and had to scramble/soap x 3. In 2010, scramble into prelim surg, applied again for 2011, failed, then i found a job doing EMR stuff until last year when I found myself missing clinical medicine. While my current job is great, pays >100k/yr, M-F 9-5 schedule, I just find myself wanting to do more than just EMR stuff, thus why I decided to apply again and try my luck and know I just need to get in and network and hope for the best.

Wanted to give some light and hope to those that didn't match and think the world is over.

There are jobs out there for MD without training, mainly as scribes in urgent care center(probably pays $15/hr on a hr basis), EMR implementation (my job now when i started paid 85k/yr starting with bonus and yr raises, but not all pays that high, avg around 60-70k likely). At the time I thought about pharm work or consulting, but it just wasn't for me. Thought about teaching HS bio as well, but needed more training and teaching license (=more $ to be spent).

feel free to PM me if there are anything I can help with. Good luck and remember sometime when you feel you are buried, you are really being planted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for sharing your experience - I was also wondering what options were truly out there and tried and this was a very helpful post. I am a graduating US student who did no match in ERAS or SOAP so am doing a prelim IM year starting July 2016, but will have to reapply for a PGY2 position somewhere else. I started to lose hope/confidence and was considering leaving clinical medicine entirely, but now will push through this year and see what happens.

May I ask what company you work for currently and where? Do they have better paid jobs for people with an active license?

Oh man, thanks for this "when you feel you are buried, you are really being planted." Epic! You really did give me light and hope.

Did you have IT skills/experience to get the job or there was on the job training?

glad to hear your story, could you please tell me more about how you got into this emr company and what qualifications for it etc...just a lil background on me, US-IMG didn't match for a second time, probably gonna give it one more chance with more USCE and step 3 but right now really contemplating other career options...thanks man and congrats to u