'Clinical instructor' as a fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hellothere111

IfIMay..
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it very unusual for a fellow to be appointed a clinical instructor during a (non-ACGME accredited) fellowship?
I saw a couple of programs where fellows were listed as clinical instructors. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Not that unusual. But kind of a pain in the ass for early career mentored grant applications, because some of them stipulate that you can't hold an academic faculty position to be eligible, and you'll have to explain it to them that this is just the way your employer does it. At some places, Instructors are full-on independent faculty with their own start-ups, etc. At others, you're sort of appointed there because you're in a no-man's-land between trainee and faculty, and they don't have provisions for it. It's ambiguous.

Often, Instructor is the highest rank that a chair can appoint someone to without approval from the University or Hospital Board of Regents. Above that, they may stipulate that the hospital to undergo a formal posting and national search, followed by screening the applicant's CV for suitability for the suggested rank. Tenure tracking, where available, further complicates things. I'm not aware of any place where Instructors have any formal position on the tenure track (other than as a foothold to get appointed Assistant Professor, upon which they can move in that direction).

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, that is very helpful. I didn't think about the potential complications with early career mentored grant applications. Makes more sense to milk the early career opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ultimately OK; you just have to go out of your way to specify what your title means. If you're planning to apply for a lot of awards, you could also just ask the fellowship director if there is a way you could be appointed as a clinical fellow or graduate assistant (and whether that would cut you out from any other benefits).

Thanks! Yes, the option of a clinical fellow stands. I was wondering if the title of a clinical instructor might help more. It sounds like it's just that, a title with the caveat that being a fellow makes the logistics of application for awards easier. I don't know if the institution has policies on gainful employment or protected time on being a clinical instructor vs a fellow. I'll find that out.

I am not a neurologist (I did a med/psych residency), but during the last 3 months of my sleep fellowship (before this was an ACGME fellowship) I as made an assistant professor of psychiatry - this was done, in part, so that I would stay on with the dept of psychiatry as faculty after I finished my fellowship (the sleep fellowship was psychiatry-based).

Reactions: 1 user