PhD/PsyD Clinical experience for PsyD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saratoga37

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. It sounds like you have some clinical experience. No one expects you to enter a doctoral program having treated patients or anything on that level.
2. Reputable PsyD programs want applicants with research experience. Don't downplay your research experience; do the opposite.
3. Why not a PhD?

Reactions: 1 users
1. It sounds like you have some clinical experience. No one expects you to enter a doctoral program having treated patients or anything on that level.
2. Reputable PsyD programs want applicants with research experience. Don't downplay your research experience; do the opposite.
3. Why not a PhD?
1. Really? Cause it seems that somehow everyone finds something, ie. interning at a psychiatric center or volunteering at a crisis line, like at LEAST some type of exposure to counseling :( Which of these exactly would possibly count as clinical experience?
2. Okay awesome thank you!! The only thing is I mostly did menial tasks (ie. data coding and lit searches), except for the independent study I worked on with my mentor based on data the lab had, so I'm not sure how great that'll look
3. I was planning on applying to PhD programs up until a month ago for several reasons. For one, I can barely stand doing research (though I love learning about studies), and while I know you have to do some for PsyD programs, it's nowhere near as much as it is in PhD programs. Two, I want to be a clinician-0 interest in conducting research or becoming a professor. I know some PhD programs DO focus more on clinical than research, but I have yet to find one that does so and also has a program I'm interested in. Three, I know how hard it is to get into PhD programs and don't believe my application would make me anywhere near competitive for any programs, and I'd rather not take a gap year. I may, however, still apply to a few PhD programs with a developmental psychopathology program.
Also my parents are okay with paying for me to get a PsyD (even though I am a little worried about the cost).
(Thanks for responding!! I really appreciate it; been stressing over this)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Really, what you have for clinical experience is fine. If you invest more time in something, make it research.

2. Don't sell yourself short! You did an independent project. Now go present it or publish it somewhere -- you have time. And do more research this coming year. If you don't like research, and can't stand the thought of doing it, think hard about whether this is actually the field for you. Sometimes our long-held dreams don't quite measure up against reality. Psychology is a scientific discipline and the further you get away from the science, the worse a psychologist you'll be. Consider counseling, social work, or marriage and family therapy as alternatives.

3. It's hard to get into the more reputable PsyD programs too. Shouldn't it be? Even if your parents are paying for it, don't attend a program with mediocre stats. Not only is it a poor investment of your parents' money, but they may not be so thrilled if you end up jobless after a 6-figure investment. Take a gap year or two if you need to. You have your entire life and career ahead of you. Think of your future patients if nothing else. If this is really what you want, work for it.

I'm in the same boat as you OP - I have some clinical experience, but I will also be a senior and there seems little time for much more. I do have a lot of research experience as well so I'm hoping that balances it out when applying. Where are you thinking about applying in terms of PsyD programs?

1. Really, what you have for clinical experience is fine. If you invest more time in something, make it research.

2. Don't sell yourself short! You did an independent project. Now go present it or publish it somewhere -- you have time. And do more research this coming year. If you don't like research, and can't stand the thought of doing it, think hard about whether this is actually the field for you. Sometimes our long-held dreams don't quite measure up against reality. Psychology is a scientific discipline and the further you get away from the science, the worse a psychologist you'll be. Consider counseling, social work, or marriage and family therapy as alternatives.

3. It's hard to get into the more reputable PsyD programs too. Shouldn't it be? Even if your parents are paying for it, don't attend a program with mediocre stats. Not only is it a poor investment of your parents' money, but they may not be so thrilled if you end up jobless after a 6-figure investment. Take a gap year or two if you need to. You have your entire life and career ahead of you. Think of your future patients if nothing else. If this is really what you want, work for it.

Okay thank you! Feeling much better about that. I actually did present my independent project! I was thinking about trying to also get it published, but my mentor is now doing her clinical part for her PhD in a different state and just got married--I'm scared she'll be too busy.
I think I phrased it wrong--I don't really LIKE research, but I will do it if necessary if it means achieving what I want--I've looked into counseling, social work, etc. and they were nowhere near what I want to do. You're very right about psychology being a scientific discipline--thank you for reminding me of that! I think doing purely menial tasks (ie. data coding) is what made me come to dislike research.
I definitely don't plan on attending a program with mediocre stats, so you're right about that, too. I've just been so focused on achieving this goal that the thought of taking a gap year makes it feel like it'd be pushing me further away from ever achieving a degree. As of now, I'd already be 23 by the time I started grad school if I DIDN'T take a gap year, so that worries me too.
But you're right; if I want this, then I need to work for it, no matter what it'll cost or how long it'll take. Thank you!

Last edited:
I think doing purely menial tasks (ie. data coding) is what made me come to dislike research.

You might be right! Perhaps you can take on some additional responsibilities this coming year.

I've just been so focused on achieving this goal that the thought of taking a gap year makes it feel like it'd be pushing me further away from ever achieving a degree. As of now, I'd already be 23 by the time I started grad school if I DIDN'T take a gap year, so that worries me too.

It's very common for students in a doctoral program to have had some additional research or work experience between college and grad school. This was true for most of my cohort. If you start in your mid-20s you'll fit right in.

I'm in the same boat as you OP - I have some clinical experience, but I will also be a senior and there seems little time for much more. I do have a lot of research experience as well so I'm hoping that balances it out when applying. Where are you thinking about applying in terms of PsyD programs?
Agreed! Feels like all of a sudden I have to start studying/taking the GRE, finding who's going to write my letters of rec, and get started on the apps! And on top of that, as you said, I feel like I should have more on my resume but barely have enough time to do much more! Very likely may just need to take a gap year in order to get into a good program.
As for PsyD programs, I don't have an exact list yet (and need to look further into my "fit"), but I'm thinking Baylor, Rutgers, and NSU (especially since it's right near my home!), Loyola, GWU, Indiana U of Penn, University of Denver, and Indiana State U (the list will likely be narrowed down). I only want to apply to GOOD PsyD programs so it's still worth it in the end (and still be able to get a job after the degree, lol!)

Last edited:
You might be right! Perhaps you can take on some additional responsibilities this coming year.

Since my mentor is doing her clinical this year, I'm basically no longer in the lab. I was thinking of looking into other labs on campus that would give me more responsibilities!

It's very common for students in a doctoral program to have had some additional research or work experience between college and grad school. This was true for most of my cohort. If you start in your mid-20s you'll fit right in.

That's what I've heard, I'm just a very stubborn person who ideally doesn't want to take a gap year-lol! It probably won't be until next year when I don't get into the programs that I applied to that it'll hit me that taking a gap year or two will be ideal.

Agreed! Feels like all of a sudden I have to start studying/taking the GRE, finding who's going to write my letters of rec, and get started on the apps! And on top of that, as you said, I feel like I should have more on my resume but barely have enough time to do much more! Very likely may just need to take a gap year in order to get into a good program.
As for PsyD programs, I don't have an exact list yet (and need to look further into my "fit"), but I'm thinking Baylor, Rutgers, and NSU (especially since it's right near my home!), Loyola, GWU, Indiana U of Penn, University of Denver, and Indiana State U (the list will likely be narrowed down). I only want to apply to GOOD PsyD programs so it's still worth it in the end (and still be able to get a job after the degree, lol!)

I'd take NSU off the list for GOOD psyd programs, especially for neuro related (especially recently), and I would start thinking that a gap year or two could be beneficial.

I'd take NSU off the list for GOOD psyd programs, especially for neuro related (especially recently), and I would start thinking that a gap year or two could be beneficial.
Agreed. It has really fallen off a cliff over the last ~8-10yrs. There are good mentors sprinkled in there, but tuition is WAAAAY up.

Agreed. It has really fallen off a cliff over the last ~8-10yrs. There are good mentors sprinkled in there, but tuition is WAAAAY up.

Yeah, I can really only talk about the past 3-4 years, but in that time I've seen a lot of unimpressive applications with boilerplate LORS from there

I'd take GWU off your list as their APA match rate is pretty bad. The program is also very psychodynamic from what I've heard, so just be aware of that for fit. As for NSU, I know 2 neuro post-docs at different R1 AMCs who got their PsyD at NSU. That being said it's much more likely that they were the exception and not the rule. If you want a good PsyD program that's located pretty close to south Florida I'd check out Florida Tech (much smaller cohort, good APA match rate, cheaper tuition and more funding).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if I'm not using it correctly!
I'm a junior (well I guess senior now technically) at UCLA and want to apply to PsyD programs in the fall. I'm really interested in developmental psychopathology but am unsure if I even have clinical experience! I spent the last month calling many places looking to volunteer or intern over the summer, but all said no.

My current experience that I don't know if it can count as clinical experience is as follows:

1. Interned for the past year at an "infant development program," and did the following:
  • Learned and practiced multiple approaches to early care and education, with an emphasis on the RIE approach
  • Applied theoretical knowledge about early childhood education from concurrent lecture courses to a child care setting under the supervision of an experienced teacher
  • Observed and analyzed a focal child’s attachment, motor and social-emotional development in a case study, analyzing means of supporting the child’s development
  • Developed and implemented an emergent curriculum project for children based off interests and needs; documented developmental learning as a result of curriculum
  • Helped children solve conflicts with others and talked them through how they were feeling whenever they were upset
2. Camp counselor for past 5 summers at a camp for blind and visually impaired children, where I taught essential life and other skills to them so that they could know how to better navigate through a hearing-centered world

3. Was my sorority's VIP (Violence Intervention and Prevention) chair for the last 2 years, where I
  • Addressed rape, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence on campus
  • Provided support for chapter members
  • Facilitate various awareness programs for chapter members and Greek community as a whole
4. Will be a rho gamma (a girl leading potential new members throughout the sorority recruitment process) in the fall for a week--this will mostly require me to counsel many girls throughout the process who get extremely upset and stressed

Would it be bad to even have the last 2 on my application because of their relations to Greek life??
Most importantly, is there ANY WAY any of this could count as clinical experience? Becoming a psychologist has been my dream for as long as I can remember :(

Thanks in advance for your help!

**I also have worked in a research lab for the past 1.5 yrs and presented a poster at the APS conference if that somehow balances out my lack of clinical experience? Though i know there's more of an emphasis on clinical experience for PsyD programs I believe?

As a former Bruin, I can vouch for the fact that there are a ton of amazing research opportunities at UCLA that you could really benefit from getting involved in during your senior year and gap year. I don't know what your specific interests are, but given that you completed the ADP minor, I'd venture to guess that you'd like to focus on child psychology? There's a program called the Fernald Internship that allows you to take 3 sequential classes on developmental psychopathology and receive a placement in a lab focusing on child psychology. It might be running for one last year before the director officially retires, so it would be worth looking into if you're interested in gaining more experience and connections! Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Last edited:
That's sad to hear! I've heard some good things about their program and was excited at the prospect of being so close to home :(

I'd take GWU off your list as their APA match rate is pretty bad. The program is also very psychodynamic from what I've heard, so just be aware of that for fit. As for NSU, I know 2 neuro post-docs at different R1 AMCs who got their PsyD at NSU. That being said it's much more likely that they were the exception and not the rule. If you want a good PsyD program that's located pretty close to south Florida I'd check out Florida Tech (much smaller cohort, good APA match rate, cheaper tuition and more funding).
Good to know, thanks!

To answer a different part of your question, I went through the application process this past year and I was also in a sorority and had a bunch of leadership positions too (I was our Education Director and Recruitment VP)! I didn't include those in my application or resume or anything like that, but sometimes in interviews I would mention them as examples of leadership or when talking about working with people!

That's sad to hear! I've heard some good things about their program and was excited at the prospect of being so close to home :(

I see the occasional PhD student that has a decent CV, but have yet to see a PsyD even make the interview cut at my sites. Even still, just far too expensive given their reputation. Sometimes getting a quality education requires a sacrifice of venturing out a little further from home.

I see the occasional PhD student that has a decent CV, but have yet to see a PsyD even make the interview cut at my sites. Even still, just far too expensive given their reputation. Sometimes getting a quality education requires a sacrifice of venturing out a little further from home.
Agreed; that's what I did for my undergrad degree

It's a good attitude to keep up with grad school, internship, and postdoc. Choose best available and you'll have a lot of doors that open up for you in the long run.
That's why I have such a huge list right now (and will obviously narrow it down in the coming weeks, now that it's summer break and have time to do research on the programs). Thanks for the advice :)

That's why I have such a huge list right now (and will obviously narrow it down in the coming weeks, now that it's summer break and have time to do research on the programs). Thanks for the advice :)

Of course, I'd just echo the notion of others to also widen into PhD programs. Both clinically balanced PhD programs and the reputable PsyD programs will require research. Might as well widen the net to include more fully funded programs if you're going to be doing it anyway.

Of course, I'd just echo the notion of others to also widen into PhD programs. Both clinically balanced PhD programs and the reputable PsyD programs will require research. Might as well widen the net to include more fully funded programs if you're going to be doing it anyway.
That's the plan as of recently! Will actually probably now apply to more Phd than PsyD programs. Though looking at forums on this site where people talk about getting rejected from all the schools they applied to is giving me tons of anxiety and doubt :(

@WisNeuro

giphy.gif
?

From other forums I know you're very Pro PhD and somewhat anti PsyD - but how do you feel about Baylor and Rutgers as programs? Do you think someone who went to those schools would do well long term, or would you still suggest going the PhD route?

From other forums I know you're very Pro PhD and somewhat anti PsyD - but how do you feel about Baylor and Rutgers as programs? Do you think someone who went to those schools would do well long term, or would you still suggest going the PhD route?
As a PsyD grad, I would say that a student from a reputable PsyD program can do very well in their career and the people I know from my program have productive careers. That being said, the cost is something to really look closely at as my debt payments could easily be used to generate wealth for myself as opposed to a bank. Also, keep in mind that for some opportunities in our field having solid research and publication record will be a plus and this is regardless of the degree, but the PhD folk will usually be ahead of the PsyD folks on that.

Reactions: 1 users

That is very clear, I've always held a handful of PsyDs, particularly Rutgers and Baylor in high regard. Honestly, their curriculum is such that they are essentially just clinically minded PhD programs. The PsyD is really an irrelevant label in their case. I suggest the best training that is fully funded in a majority of the cases. Most of the time that just happens to be a PhD. Rutgers and Baylor are fine as long as they offer full funding.

That is very clear, I've always held a handful of PsyDs, particularly Rutgers and Baylor in high regard. Honestly, their curriculum is such that they are essentially just clinically minded PhD programs. The PsyD is really an irrelevant label in their case. I suggest the best training that is fully funded in a majority of the cases. Most of the time that just happens to be a PhD. Rutgers and Baylor are fine as long as they offer full funding.

Thanks. I am applying to PhD programs - I just don't think my chances are as great compared to that of PsyD. What other schools are in your handful for PsyD? The other schools I was considering are Indiana State, Widener and Indiana University of Pennsylvania.