Clinical Doctorate in Speech Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone in the CScD program of speech pathology or know of it? This is also a career I'm thinking about in the back of my head, and it sounds really interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the University of Pittsburgh is currently the only program that offers this degree although I'm sure others are in the process of developing something like it. The program used to offer admission to recent college grads, which would place the student in a 5 year program (2 years for master's requirements, 3 years for the doctorate). They now only take students who have finished (or will soon be finishing) their master's.

The program is a great opportunity to study beyond an SLP's typical scope of practice, especially if your goal is to work in an acute care/SNF/LTAC/other medical setting. The degree is clinically oriented rather than research oriented (PhD), but is by no means a requirement or an entry-level expectation for the settings I mentioned above. Hope that helps a little bit!

What would be the point of attaining a clinical doctorate?

Do you want to practice?

You only need an Masters Degree. Degree creep for practitioners is generally not seen as necessary or positive in most clinical professions, historically (PT, Psych, Aud), save from the perspective of keeping practitioner supply low and salaries higher (which didn't work out so well for audiologists - for whom the economics of the degree are no longer sensible).

Do you want to teach/research?

You should get a research doctorate. Many, many schools even have a healthy number of MS CCCSLPs on staff as instructors.