Clincal rotation location effect on residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kisangani

Zimbabwean940
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a student at an MD program in a Northeast state who has just finished my first year of basic sciences. Looking ahead to year three and four, I have noticed that my school allows students the option to complete certain clinical rotations in hospitals that are located in adjacent states and hence away from the school's main hospital centre. This seems like an interesting opportunity to me. However, since I would like to preferably (At least for the time being) match into a residency program in my home state where I am currently attending school, does anybody know if taking advantage of such an option would have any affect on residency prospects? In other words, do PDs look favorably upon students who have LORs and completed their rotations in the state where they would like to do their post-graduate training.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a student at an MD program in a Northeast state who has just finished my first year of basic sciences. Looking ahead to year three and four, I have noticed that my school allows students the option to complete certain clinical rotations in hospitals that are located in adjacent states and hence away from the school's main hospital centre. This seems like an interesting opportunity to me. However, since I would like to preferably (At least for the time being) match into a residency program in my home state where I am currently attending school, does anybody know if taking advantage of such an option would have any affect on residency prospects? In other words, do PDs look favorably upon students who have LORs and completed their rotations in the state where they would like to do their post-graduate training.

#1: If they do, its like number 43,754 on the list of things they're looking for.

#2: your status lists you as a pre-med

#1: If they do, its like number 43,754 on the list of things they're looking for.

#2: your status lists you as a pre-med

With regards to number two, its been a while since I've been here.......i'll change it. Thanks for bringing that up

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

You want to make sure you complete the rotations you are interested in pursuing for residency at the main campus. Your LOR would likely have greater impact from those faculty.

Being a base student (ie. someone who does their third year rotations at ours hospital) matters. But it can definitely go both ways.

Our base students tend to get ranked a little higher. We know them, they know us kinda thing.

Although we have had several base students who were known to be very poor, so we didn't even interview them. So if you are a good student, it helps a lot. If you are a bad student, it hurts a lot.

Everywhere is different, but generally, if there is a particular program you want, you have the best chances to match at that program if you do your clerkship at that hospital.

You can’’t just practice the same study methods from college in medical school. Clinical rotations allow students to apply knowledge from the classroom to real life medical situations. The question is where does students "rotate"!