Clincal pearls for peripheral smear reading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gastrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a new hematology/oncology fellow. I am just learning to review path smears. I would appreciate some clinical pearls and suggestions for resources.

e.g. I'm having trouble differentiating the different precursor white cells.

I will start with a few I know of

- >3 schistos/HPF is concerning
- avf no of platelets per HPF x20 = roughly the platelet count
- features of BM dysplasia: neutrophils w bilobed nuclei or hyperlobulated nuclei, pale granules in granulocytes
- it's easy to find WBCs at the top or bottom edge of the smear

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For differentiating the different precursor white cells, try to get an atlas that has pictures of each stage (there are a bunch). Review that so that you know what you are supposed to be looking for. You can then sit with a pathologist or a tech (many are good at the identification of white cells) to practice.

For differentiating the different precursor white cells, try to get an atlas that has pictures of each stage (there are a bunch). Review that so that you know what you are supposed to be looking for. You can then sit with a pathologist or a tech (many are good at the identification of white cells) to practice.

Yes. Sit down with one of the techs who counts marrows in the lab. They are best since they count a lot of marrows per day. Otherwise, the hemepath fellow or attending would likely be willing to sit down with you.