Clincal intern year applying path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinPathDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I had a question I decided I am applying for AP/CP residencies this coming cycle, I worked in a clinical path lab for a couple years before medical school and enjoy lab work over patient care. I was considering applying IM to heme/onc but am already getting burnt out with patient care after two months of medicine. I did a pathology elective fourth year, and am doing a 2 week selective next month. I am currently in a DO traditional rotating internship (program is currently applying for acgme transition year). I just wanted to know if having some clinical experience will be deemed helpful at all with my applications.

Members don't see this ad.

For traditional applicants, path programs want to see decent grades from clinical clerkships and Step 2 CK, largely because they want to know the applicant can grasp the clinical context of their cases. It can help you build rapport with your clinicians and help write meaningful reports when there is no discrete diagnosis. AP/CP Pathology residency used to be 5 years with a clinical internship year, like Rads still is, but that got axed in the '90s I think. But I wouldn't overplay your hand for having clinical experience, because it's not going to make you a better pathology resident. You'll be starting from square one learning how to gross specimens and relearning a lot of basic histology, not to mention learning about all the diagnoses they don't mention in med school pathology (which is a LOT).

Your main challenge is going to be convincing programs you won't want to abandon pathology after 2 months, like you're planning to do to clinical medicine. But, working in your favor is that path is a buyer's market for USMG's right now. Emphasize your CP experience, as that is still uncommon among path applicants, and most non-path physicians have no idea how a modern clinical laboratory operates. If you can do a selective with path, is there a residency program near you where you can get some face time? Might give you an in for the program and would make your life easier if you could match there.