Clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pod333

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you need a license for the final year of podiatry where you have to do clerkship for 10 months?

Can you do the 10 month clerkship in any state you want?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you need a license for the final year of podiatry where you have to do clerkship for 10 months?

Can you do the 10 month clerkship in any state you want?
You shouldn't need a license to do clerkships since you're just a student. You can generally do your clerkships in any state you want.

You may need a license before beginning your residency depending on which state you want to do a residency in—basically some states don't have resident licenses so you have to take part 3 of boards and get your license before residency in that case. In most states you won't need to take part 3 of boards or get a license before starting residency, you can do those things at a later date.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You shouldn't need a license to do clerkships since you're just a student. You can generally do your clerkships in any state you want.

You may need a license before beginning your residency depending on which state you want to do a residency in—basically some states don't have resident licenses so you have to take part 3 of boards and get your license before residency in that case. In most states you won't need to take part 3 of boards or get a license before starting residency, you can do those things at a later date.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

So for example if I go to Kent or temple I can do the entire year of clerkship in ny? Or does the school require some of it to be done at the school or at a nearby hospital

Members don't see this ad :)
So for example if I go to Kent or temple I can do the entire year of clerkship in ny? Or does the school require some of it to be done at the school or at a nearby hospital
At Kent I believe 5-7 clerkships can be done anywhere of your choosing, the rest are rotations at nearby clinics. I can't speak for what Temple does.

Kent offers 7 externships but only 6 are required, meaning you can take a month off of you want. So yes, you can do 6-7 months in NY. The other 5 months of the year you complete core rotations at school clinic, Cle va, and medicine rotstions in Cleveland. I would assume this is the same set up at all 9 schools.

Is there an application for clerkship rotations or do they just do a background check and then you can begin?

Is there an application for clerkship rotations or do they just do a background check and then you can begin?
From my understanding you have to apply since multiple people will inevitably wanna go to the same clerkship.

One residency director that spoke to us said they get like 200+ applications for relatively few spots. So essentially it's like a mini version of residency. The more you stand out the better clerkships you can get and then the better residency you can get.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile