Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Studying for the May 19 MCAT over here.. taking biochem and another upper level bio.. So far I have a 4.0 in my DIY (refresher)post-bacc, but we'll see how this semester turns out. Anyone else freaking out over an upcoming MCAT date? I don't think it's going to work out to completely relearn physics and orgo (from 15 years ago) but I'm hoping I'll be able to do well enough in the other 3 sections to make up for less-than-ideal C/P score.

How is MCAT prep and application writing coming along for everyone? Anyone else have LOR doubts?

The two professors who I think are going to write me the best LORs are taking their sweet time. I've been in touch with them and I'm sure they will get it done but it's still frustrating to wait. I just tell myself they must be putting a lot of effort into it, which is good I suppose. My PS is done. TMDSAS requires two additional essays. One is well on its way. The other is still in the brainstorming phase. Overall I feel like I'm doing what I need to do. The stuff I wish I had done better is beyond my control at this point so I try to keep it out of my mind.

Good luck on the MCAT!! And finish the semester strong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my last ever undergrad final EVER yesterday! At least that's the hope...I said the same thing 13 years ago. Lol

MCAT in 9 days, whooo! Two more practice tests and then I'm calling it done - although I got a 501 on the free TPR full-length today and was like "Holy crap, I'm never going to get into med school, I need to brush off that law resume and go back to my old career!" Then I realized that pretty much everybody scores at least 10 points higher on the real thing than on TPR. Whew!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT in 9 days, whooo! Two more practice tests and then I'm calling it done - although I got a 501 on the free TPR full-length today and was like "Holy crap, I'm never going to get into med school, I need to brush off that law resume and go back to my old career!" Then I realized that pretty much everybody scores at least 10 points higher on the real thing than on TPR. Whew!

10 points! Holy cow. Did you see that on a spreadsheet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my last ever undergrad final EVER yesterday! At least that's the hope...I said the same thing 13 years ago. Lol

I definitely recommend working through the AAMC OG, SB, and three FLs if at all possible. That's the best prep you can get. Good luck!

I just entered 107 courses into AMCAS. With all that education, WHY DO I STILL FEEL LIKE I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH?! Lol

Reactions: 2 users
I just entered 107 courses into AMCAS. With all that education, WHY DO I STILL FEEL LIKE I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH?! Lol

Yeah, I haven't done AMCAS yet, but I did TMDSAS. I think I have about 160 undergraduate credits and 90 graduate credits. What a pain. I took forever to enter it all.

Yeah, I haven't done AMCAS yet, but I did TMDSAS. I think I have about 160 undergraduate credits and 90 graduate credits. What a pain. I took forever to enter it all.

Yes if there were a service you could pay to do it, I would consider it!

Just got my (I hope) last ever undergrad grades and finished out my whopping two final prerequisites with a 4.0! Now I'm debating whether I should take more classes next year, in case I don't get in this cycle. I had planned on going back to practicing law full time to save up money for 4 years of unemployment during med school, but now I'm second-guessing myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my (I hope) last ever undergrad grades and finished out my whopping two final prerequisites with a 4.0! Now I'm debating whether I should take more classes next year, in case I don't get in this cycle. I had planned on going back to practicing law full time to save up money for 4 years of unemployment during med school, but now I'm second-guessing myself.

Congrats. If you have a strong GPA, you probably aren't going to get any mileage out of taking more courses. Plus, it's good to have a plan b, but it's only May 10. We shouldn't be thinking about being reapplicants!

Sorry it's been awhile gang! It's been a crazy few months, but I'm glad to hear that everyone is making great progress.

I pushed my MCAT back to May 19th due to some family issues, but I'm feeling really good about it... Though I have to fly to Amarillo to take it!

I've completed the full Kaplan course and 7 FL Kaplan exams, plus 1 FL and several section tests through AAMC.

I'm trying to finalize my study plan for the next seven days. I'm for sure taking another AAMC FL tomorrow, but after that... ???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. For reference, I've had a low of 505 and high is 512 on Kaplan.... The AAMC exam wasn't a scaled score (the one tomorrow will be). Thanks in advance!

I'm taking the MCAT May 19, too. Not feeling really good about it, though. My practice test scores have been ok but I always feel like it's a fluke because during the test I feel like I'm just guessing too often.
512 on Kaplan sounds great! Let us know how the AAMC FL goes tomorrow!

Sorry it's been awhile gang! It's been a crazy few months, but I'm glad to hear that everyone is making great progress.

I pushed my MCAT back to May 19th due to some family issues, but I'm feeling really good about it... Though I have to fly to Amarillo to take it!

I've completed the full Kaplan course and 7 FL Kaplan exams, plus 1 FL and several section tests through AAMC.

I'm trying to finalize my study plan for the next seven days. I'm for sure taking another AAMC FL tomorrow, but after that... ???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. For reference, I've had a low of 505 and high is 512 on Kaplan.... The AAMC exam wasn't a scaled score (the one tomorrow will be). Thanks in advance!

Section bank, review notes, keep info fresh, do more practice exams, all the AAMC ones, Next Step has a free one....
Practice going to bed and waking up at the same times as test day. Be sure you know where your test Center is.....

Good luck!!

I would go through all the AAMC materials if you haven't already. Then do a second pass through the SB and cram P/S terms like you've never crammed before.

I'm taking the MCAT May 19, too. Not feeling really good about it, though. My practice test scores have been ok but I always feel like it's a fluke because during the test I feel like I'm just guessing too often.
512 on Kaplan sounds great! Let us know how the AAMC FL goes tomorrow!

I felt the same way about guessing. But that's just the nature of the exam. People who can consistently narrow the choices down to two are rewarded. The bottom line is you should trust your AAMC FL scores.

I would go through all the AAMC materials if you haven't already. Then do a second pass through the SB and cram P/S terms like you've never crammed before.

This is my plan. I'm going to go over all the AAMC materials again and read every answer explanation, and then spend any remaining time/brain power on psych/sociology stuff. Physics and orgo are a lost cause at this point.. haha

This is my plan. I'm going to go over all the AAMC materials again and read every answer explanation, and then spend any remaining time/brain power on psych/sociology stuff. Physics and orgo are a lost cause at this point.. haha

Have you taken orgo? I felt the same way about orgo--lost cause--and it's now such a small % of the test, but I dug out my 8 year old notes from O-chem and just read through them, especially focusing on SN1,SN2 reactions, stereochemistry, and electron configuration. And also peeking at "What's on the MCAT" o chem topics.

This took me about 4 hours and it refreshed a LOT of ochem that actually helped me. LOT on test day.

Physics too, I was looking at it till the last minute and every single thing extra I studied, I was so glad I did.

Don't give up in any topic--leave no stone unturned, even looking at something for one hour may help you!

In any case, good luck!

Thanks for the advice - I'm sure I will go through everything I can before next Friday! When you look at the range of topics in the AAMC guide, it's pretty crazy how much stuff they cover.

Having trouble designating "Which" experiences have been the most meaningful I'm currently sitting on 12 with 1 designated as Most meaningful.

just finished my first ROUGH draft for PS as well.

Sighhh

Does anyone have any CARS tips? My FL practice scores are all over the place because of CARS. One exam I had three philosophy passages in a row and landed at a 49% percentile. Next one I only had one philosophy and was at a 78%. Testing on June 1st. Super nervous!

Does anyone have any CARS tips? My FL practice scores are all over the place because of CARS. One exam I had three philosophy passages in a row and landed at a 49% percentile. Next one I only had one philosophy and was at a 78%. Testing on June 1st. Super nervous!

Which FLs are you doing? Third party FLs tend not to be very representative and third party CARS sections are notoriously the worst. I wouldn't worry too much. Wait until you get to the AAMC stuff.

Try this on a practice exam: if you get a hard-for-you passage, just skip it, but mark a wild guess for each answer in case you run out of time and can't go back. Then mark each of those questions. Then at the end, go back to that passage. That way your confidence won't get shattered by a hard passage and you can maximize correct answers on other passages. At the end go back and read it and do the best you can.

Thank you both! I have only done Kaplan FLs at this time. I can't decide when to try an AAMC one. Should I do one next week and another the following? Or save both for the week before my testing date?

Thank you both! I have only done Kaplan FLs at this time. I can't decide when to try an AAMC one. Should I do one next week and another the following? Or save both for the week before my testing date?

Everyone is different but I'd do them asap! Then you have time to review them w a fine tooth comb!

Finished my first AAMC FL with a 514... A little disheartening given everything I've read about Kaplan underscoring ~8-17 points!

The CARS section hurt me, which is strange since I'm normally in the 80-90th percentile on that section.

With only six days until test time... I'm thoroughly confused and anxious! Ha!

After 5 months of studying, I took the MCAT today, and boy did it make me feel inadequate. I don't know if it was really, really hard, or if I just felt like every question was super high stakes, since it was the real deal. I've been telling myself that my practice scores are fine, and I'll do fine on the test (I'd like a 512, but I'd be content with a 509 - FLs were in the 509-510 range, except for TPR). But after today, I'm like, I'm totally getting a 504. LOL

After 5 months of studying, I took the MCAT today, and boy did it make me feel inadequate. I don't know if it was really, really hard, or if I just felt like every question was super high stakes, since it was the real deal. I've been telling myself that my practice scores are fine, and I'll do fine on the test (I'd like a 512, but I'd be content with a 509 - FLs were in the 509-510 range, except for TPR). But after today, I'm like, I'm totally getting a 504. LOL

Aw, I hope you did awesome. I felt and still feel exactly the same about my experience!

I think you're in the same boat as everyone else, so don't let it get to you. Enjoy the next few weeks and know that you gave it your all!

I'm sure it feels great to have it under your belt either way! Congrats

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any PS readers here? The official reviewer's list is tapped out. I've already been through two rounds of critiques, and I think my PS is pretty good - so good, in fact, that I can't seem to cut 286 characters that are putting me over the limit! Anyone want to volunteer to brutally redact my work?

Good luck to those taking the MCAT today!! Sending good vibes your way.

Hey guys... took my MCAT today! Aside from the normal post-exam doubt, I'm thrilled to be done with it!

I figured that I would give you my brief feedback. I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions.

C/P: By far the hardest of the sections today, and 10x harder than any Kaplan/NS/AAMC FL that I had previously taken. The passages were long and convoluted and a handful of the questions were designed to be answered by a PhD in microbiology. It wasn't as physics heavy as I had anticipated though. In the end, this is the one section that I was left scratching my head regarding my possible score.

CARS: This is the section that, for some unknown reason, I have been struggling with the past several weeks. However, I think I easily got a 130+. The passages were all long, but a much better read than the practice exams. Even the philosophy passages were bearable.

B/BC: Easier than C/P, but still tough. A ton of cell signaling, abbreviations, product-before-activator type sentences, and a lot of molecular genetics. That said, I think that I did fairly well. A strong background in biochem will go a long way in your success here.

P/S: Second hardest section. In my prep, I went through every single Kaplan topic, book, and practice questions... along with other resources. Yet, there were ~8 terms/theories that I had NEVER even heard of before. The passages were much longer than any practice test I'd taken and many of the questions asked you to dive really deep on assumptions... given two answers that could both constitute the "best choice." Previously, I'd been scoring high here... I'm at a loss as to how I did today though.

As a final thought, passage length was a huge change for what I was accustomed. I heard several of the 5/13 and 5/18'ers mention exam fatigue and I can second that thought. I had to work to stay focused throughout the P/S section. Also, a comparison of 'bonus time' is worth mentioning:

My normal - vs - (the REAL exam), extra time for review (by section):
C/P: 20-25 min (8 min)
CARS: 10-15 min (9 min)
B/BC: 20-25 min (12 min)
P/S: 20-30 min (10 min)

For reference, I've always been a great test taker and have never fallen victim to anxiety. In my opinion, the above time adjustments reflect difficulty and passage length.

Best of luck to everyone still studying! Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys... took my MCAT today! Aside from the normal post-exam doubt, I'm thrilled to be done with it!

I figured that I would give you my brief feedback. I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions.

C/P: By far the hardest of the sections today, and 10x harder than any Kaplan/NS/AAMC FL that I had previously taken. The passages were long and convoluted and a handful of the questions were designed to be answered by a PhD in microbiology. It wasn't as physics heavy as I had anticipated though. In the end, this is the one section that I was left scratching my head regarding my possible score.

CARS: This is the section that, for some unknown reason, I have been struggling with the past several weeks. However, I think I easily got a 130+. The passages were all long, but a much better read than the practice exams. Even the philosophy passages were bearable.

B/BC: Easier than C/P, but still tough. A ton of cell signaling, abbreviations, product-before-activator type sentences, and a lot of molecular genetics. That said, I think that I did fairly well. A strong background in biochem will go a long way in your success here.

P/S: Second hardest section. In my prep, I went through every single Kaplan topic, book, and practice questions... along with other resources. Yet, there were ~8 terms/theories that I had NEVER even heard of before. The passages were much longer than any practice test I'd taken and many of the questions asked you to dive really deep on assumptions... given two answers that could both constitute the "best choice." Previously, I'd been scoring high here... I'm at a loss as to how I did today though.

As a final thought, passage length was a huge change for what I was accustomed. I heard several of the 5/13 and 5/18'ers mention exam fatigue and I can second that thought. I had to work to stay focused throughout the P/S section. Also, a comparison of 'bonus time' is worth mentioning:

For reference, I've always been a great test taker and have never fallen victim to anxiety. In my opinion, the above time adjustments reflect difficulty and passage length.

Best of luck to everyone still studying! Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Careful divulging too much MCAT detail here. AAMC takes the nondisclosure stuff seriously. I assume SDN would be a place they monitor.

Congrats on putting the MCAT nightmare behind you. I hope you enjoy having that stress removed!

Careful divulging too much MCAT detail here. AAMC takes the nondisclosure stuff seriously. I assume SDN would be a place they monitor.

I appreciate the thought, but I think my level of description is well within the AAMC guidelines... Nothing specific, just broad generalizations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I appreciate the thought, but I think my level of description is well within the AAMC guidelines... Nothing specific, just broad generalizations.
Absolutely, I just meant in case anyone asks specifics in response.

I echo your assessment of the May 19th version, a biochem background was clutch for both C/P and B/B in my opinion. And wow, yeah, P/S was a real curve ball with long passages and relatively obscure terminology/theories. I'm not sure what to expect as far as scoring goes but hoping we can trust the FL practice exam scores for ballpark numbers.
Good times...

Thank you both for your insights! I just took biochem this past semester, and did pretty well so the material is fresh in my head.

I'm testing next Thursday. So nervous. I got a 510 on a next step full length but then my last two FLs dropped to a 507 an a 508 so I'm pretty worried. I'm doing the AAMC FL #1 tomorrow and then #2 on Friday.

Thank you both for your insights! I just took biochem this past semester, and did pretty well so the material is fresh in my head.

I'm testing next Thursday. So nervous. I got a 510 on a next step full length but then my last two FLs dropped to a 507 an a 508 so I'm pretty worried. I'm doing the AAMC FL #1 tomorrow and then #2 on Friday.

Interested to hear how you do on AAMC tests as we have very similar next step numbers

Last edited:

I wouldn't be worried at all. You'll undoubtedly see some fluctuation in your exam scores, especially when comparing different formats. What I forced myself to realize was that there were days that I was not 100% "into" the exam. I would find myself reading the same sentence multiple times and have to refocus my attention. Also, there were times (especially on biochem) that I would spend a couple of wasted minutes mentally drawing a pathway or feedback mechanism in my head... When, in the end, there wasn't a single question about it.

You're taking practice exams to do just that... Practice and learn from your mistakes. Make adjustments from test to test and then solidify YOUR strategy a couple weeks out from your exam. It's ok to try out different methods but you need to find the groove that works for you.

I can assure you that on test day, you'll be more focused than you ever were during a practice exam. Kill it! Best of luck

P.s. When your real exam is over, don't look up any questions that gave you pause! It sucks. Haha

515 on my AAMC FL #1. 98th percentile in CARS, 75th in psych/soc. Man, I didn't recognize a lot of the terms! I guess I know what I am hitting up over the next week.

515 on my AAMC FL #1. 98th percentile in CARS, 75th in psych/soc. Man, I didn't recognize a lot of the terms! I guess I know what I am hitting up over the next week.

That's great news. You can likely pick up several P/S points just by memorizing a ton of terms. I found the Khan academy 100 pages notes extremely useful for that purpose.

Two days til my MCAT score and 5 days til Amcas submission opens! I can not believe it.....

Two days til my MCAT score and 5 days til Amcas submission opens! I can not believe it.....

I was just thinking about that a minute ago and thinking about you! I think I've heard that sometimes the scores come out a day or two earlier than advertised. I'm living vicariously through you, since I've still got another 16 days left.