Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherLawyer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm a non-trad planning to apply to med school in 2017 for the class of 2022. That's far enough away that at times it can be difficult to stay fully motivated. Hence the first reason for this thread: I thought those of us intending to apply to the class of 2022 might find strength and motivation through solidarity with one another. A second reason is that, some years down the road, perhaps some non-trad at the beginning of his or her journey might find this thread and feel a little less daunted by what lies ahead seeing that some of us have (hopefully) made it.

So I'll go ahead and post where I am on my premed journey, what remains to be done, and how I plan to do it. Please feel free to do the same. Hopefully 3 years from now some of us will be talking about interviews and acceptances.

What I've done:
I've completed Bio 1, Chem 1, Chem 2, and all other non-science prereqs.

My plan going forward:

Spring 15: Bio 2. Summer 15: Phys 1. Fall 15: Orgo 1. Spring 16: Phys 2. Summer 16: Bio Chem.

I plan to spend Fall 16 through Spring 17 studying for the MCAT and then take the MCAT around April 2017, applying to Texas schools as early as possible.

My plan right now is to take Orgo 2 (and another upper level bio course) during the glide year. I realize that means I won't have it before the MCAT but Orgo is a low yield topic on the MCAT 2015 and I would rather spend 16 weeks focused on high yield material than on Orgo 2. Maybe I will change my mind after we learn more about the MCAT 2015, but this is the current plan.

My goal is to have about 80 hours of shadowing and 1+ years of weekly clinical volunteering by the time I apply.

Good luck to us all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
From one lawyer to another - I like how you have things planned out orderly and meticulously like a good lawyer. I'm still in the middle of figuring some of this out. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
hoping to be part of the class of 2022

my plan is pretty similar to yours, although I think I might be able to take more classes per semester. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I am reading from a cell phone hooked up to wi fi. Thank you for creating this thread I will post soon. PS I am also living in Texas.

From one lawyer to another - I like how you have things planned out orderly and meticulously like a good lawyer. I'm still in the middle of figuring some of this out. Good luck!

Haha, if I didn't have this all planned out in a way that put the finish line in view, I think the process would be too overwhelming. Good luck!

hoping to be part of the class of 2022

my plan is pretty similar to yours, although I think I might be able to take more classes per semester. good luck!

Thanks, good luck to you as well! I wish I could accelerate things by taking more classes. But work and family don't let me take more than one class per semester.

Hi guys,

I am reading from a cell phone hooked up to wi fi. Thank you for creating this thread I will post soon. PS I am also living in Texas.

I think we're pretty lucky to be Texas residents. Two more public medical schools will be up and running by the time we apply, so things should be even better for us Texans.

Similar except different order and classes being taken. The new MCAT has more biology than anything else, then Orgo then physics (as far as the sciences go) according to this.. http://2015.mcatquestion.com/aboutmcat.php

The break down I've seen is:
Biology: 44.25 questions
Psychology: 38.35 questions
Biochemistry: 29.5 questions
General Chemistry: 20.65 questions
Sociology: 17.7 questions
Physics: 14.75 questions
Organic: 11.8 questions

It's pretty interesting that psychology is the number two topic now.

Reactions: 1 users
What I've done:
I've completed Bio 1, Chem 1, Chem 2, and all other non-science prereqs.

My plan going forward:

Spring 15: Bio 2. Summer 15: Phys 1. Fall 15: Orgo 1. Spring 16: Phys 2. Summer 16: Bio Chem.

Have you confirmed with your A.A. or adcoms whether 1 class/semester will be sufficient? Goro & Q have mentioned before that multiple classes per semester are needed to demonstrate an ability to handle coursework.

My plan right now is to take Orgo 2 (and another upper level bio course) during the glide year. I realize that means I won't have it before the MCAT but Orgo is a low yield topic on the MCAT 2015 and I would rather spend 16 weeks focused on high yield material than on Orgo 2.

I'm pretty sure that Orgo II is a prereq for Biochem., which pulls your plan apart. Also, don't think of the questions as low-yield, as you (or the majority of us) have yet to get into any school. If you want to do well & keep as many doors open as possible, treat every section as high-yield.

Have you confirmed with your A.A. or adcoms whether 1 class/semester will be sufficient? Goro & Q have mentioned before that multiple classes per semester are needed to demonstrate an ability to handle coursework.

I'm pretty sure that Orgo II is a prereq for Biochem., which pulls your plan apart. Also, don't think of the questions as low-yield, as you (or the majority of us) have yet to get into any school. If you want to do well & keep as many doors open as possible, treat every section as high-yield.

Good point about confirming plans with schools. I have.

Regarding biochem and orgo II, I think that depends on the school offering biochem. I will most likely take it online at UNE since no schools in my area offer it in the evenings or as a Saturday class. UNE does not require orgo II as a prerequisite to biochem so I don't anticipate that throwing a wrench in my plans. Regarding the MCAT, I will obviously take AAMC practice tests prior to my actual test date and adjust course if necessary.

I think I will be in the same applying group as you guys. Nice to know that you "exist". Will graduate and apply in Summer 2017 for the 2022 class. I'm planning to do a SMP in my "glide year", though.
We are really early to group together like that :highfive:

Just checking in. The plan is still on track. I finished bio 2 and physics 1 since my last post and I recently started organic chem 1. I hope all my fellow class of 2022 hopefuls are doing well.

Planning to apply for 2022 as well!

I just started a formal post bacc last week. Taking chem 1, bio 1, calc, psychology, and a healthcare lecture this semester. The program lays out the next five semesters and culminates with the MCAT in May or June 2017. I'll have a glide year like many of you.

As a fellow nontrad who is currently in med school, I advise you to take multiple science classes a semester. My informal post bacc was picked at the most for only having a couple of science classes a semester, despite working full time.

Also. Listen to Goro. Goro's advice can get you into med school if you can follow it.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a fellow nontrad who is currently in med school, I advise you to take multiple science classes a semester. My informal post bacc was picked at the most for only having a couple of science classes a semester, despite working full time.

Also. Listen to Goro. Goro's advice can get you into med school if you can follow it.

I think your advice is solid and, in a perfect world, I would complete my pre-reqs full time at a great university. However, my job commitments only lets me take one course per semester and more often than not the only course that fits my schedule is at a CC. I actually like my job a lot and will gladly ride out my career here if med school doesn't work out. So I'm not willing to leave my job before I get a viable MCAT score. If I get a viable MCAT score but don't get admitted, I will apply to the TCOM SMP and reapply from there.

I'm lucky enough to have a 3.8+ cGPA from a decent undergrad with a math heavy major and a 4.0 BCPM GPA. Hopefully that, alone with a good MCAT score, will overcome the short comings of my DIY-one-class-per-semester post-bacc. If not, assuming I get a viable MCAT score, it's off to TCOM for the SMP.

Planning to apply for 2022 as well!

I just started a formal post bacc last week. Taking chem 1, bio 1, calc, psychology, and a healthcare lecture this semester. The program lays out the next five semesters and culminates with the MCAT in May or June 2017. I'll have a glide year like many of you.

We'll be studying for the MCAT at the same time then. I've been at this for almost two years now and it's flown by. I suspect the next two years will fly by as well. Good luck!

After a masters+ 2 gap years I will be graduating med school in the class of 2022!
However, I am not lucky enough to be a Texas resident :yeahright:

I think your advice is solid and, in a perfect world, I would complete my pre-reqs full time at a great university. However, my job commitments only lets me take one course per semester and more often than not the only course that fits my schedule is at a CC. I actually like my job a lot and will gladly ride out my career here if med school doesn't work out. So I'm not willing to leave my job before I get a viable MCAT score. If I get a viable MCAT score but don't get admitted, I will apply to the TCOM SMP and reapply from there.

I'm lucky enough to have a 3.8+ cGPA from a decent undergrad with a math heavy major and a 4.0 BCPM GPA. Hopefully that, alone with a good MCAT score, will overcome the short comings of my DIY-one-class-per-semester post-bacc. If not, assuming I get a viable MCAT score, it's off to TCOM for the SMP.

So you're just retaking classes that you already got As in and are basically reinforcing what you used to know in preparation for taking the mcat? Or did you not take the prerequisites in undergrad?

Another semester over. I managed to get an A in organic chemistry 1 and I'm registered for physics 2 for the Spring. I hope all my class of 2022 friends had a fruitful semester.

Wow that's harsh that adcoms pick on non trad's who work full time for not carrying a full load? What I wouldn't give to be some snot nosed kid with zero responsibilities other than cranking out GPA, lol. I guess its a good thing I'm taking a full load and working full time :)

Fellow lawyer checking in. Thanks for posting this -- I haven't started the process of pre-reqs yet, but coming here and seeing what others like yourself are doing in terms of planning and pre-reqs has been helpful for me to get the ball rolling. Honestly, I didn't even know shadowing was a thing until I came here. If all goes right I'm hoping to apply by 2018.

Hey there! That's me! Taking four refresher classes at CC before I start taking classes at Pitt Fall 2016. Taking precalc and micro this spring and bio, Chem, and calc this summer.

I work full time in hospice, which will give me 5-6k clinical hours by the time I apply.

I don't have any ECs other than playing basketball in college and the basketball/football/volleyball/softball I play in city leagues.

I also need to start shadowing soon, but am reluctant to give up my sports as they keep me sane.

Also trying to plan a wedding and travel to 3 continents before I matriculate!

Going to apply to Pitt(massive/unlikely reach), LECOM, Ohio University, PCOM and just about any school that's within driving distance as my fiancé is a union electrician and can't really move unless he wants to be a tramp.

If everything goes according to plan, I too will be applying in 2017, if not 2018. Taking two science courses a semester, working full-time, raising two kids and trying to fill in some volunteer and shadow time along the way. Rooting for everyone here!!!

Hey there! That's me! Taking four refresher classes at CC before I start taking classes at Pitt Fall 2016. Taking precalc and micro this spring and bio, Chem, and calc this summer.

I work full time in hospice, which will give me 5-6k clinical hours by the time I apply.

I don't have any ECs other than playing basketball in college and the basketball/football/volleyball/softball I play in city leagues.

I also need to start shadowing soon, but am reluctant to give up my sports as they keep me sane.

Also trying to plan a wedding and travel to 3 continents before I matriculate!

Going to apply to Pitt(massive/unlikely reach), LECOM, Ohio University, PCOM and just about any school that's within driving distance as my fiancé is a union electrician and can't really move unless he wants to be a tramp.
Mind me asking what you do in Hospice? I love working with hospice patients on the EMS side. Very rewarding.

Mind me asking what you do in Hospice? I love working with hospice patients on the EMS side. Very rewarding.

I work as a liaison so I work with patients and families, as well as the interdisciplinary teams and staff in nursing homes, assisted livings, and personal care homes to make sure all lines of care are streamlined. Most of my peers in my position are nurses, but my education in health communication has aided me quite a bit with my career. I also do home health.
I absolutely love what I do, but it's what has made me decide to pursue a career as a physician.

Any idea when you guys gonna start studying for and take the MCAT? I thinking April 2017, since we will be applying in June 2017.
I've already bought my first set of preparation books. I bought TPR. It comes with 3 full-length practice exams. Not planning to use them now though. I'll wait until it's close to the MCAT day.

Attachments

• 1450828455731.jpg
    1450828455731.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 1450828500396.jpg
    1450828500396.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 60
I'll probably buy TPR too. Might wait a bit longer though to do that though.

Same here. I probably won't think about the MCAT, til I covered at least Ochem 1 and Physics I.

Any idea when you guys gonna start studying for and take the MCAT? I thinking April 2017, since we will be applying in June 2017.
I've already bought my first set of preparation books. I bought TPR. It comes with 3 full-length practice exams. Not planning to use them now though. I'll wait until it's close to the MCAT day.

I'm going to aim for January 2017. I'm actually going through the Khan Academy psychology and sociology material now during the semester break. I'll start studying more intensely next fall, once my summer class ends, but in the meantime I plan to review as much as possible.

I'm going to aim for January 2017. I'm actually going through the Khan Academy psychology and sociology material now during the semester break. I'll start studying more intensely next fall, once my summer class ends, but in the meantime I plan to review as much as possible.
That is actually a really great idea! Are you taking notes or just causally kinda watching the videos?
I will be taking my MCAT in Jan 2017 as well, and plan to start dedicated studying (along with a FT job) August-December 2016 :)

That is actually a really great idea! Are you taking notes or just causally kinda watching the videos?
I will be taking my MCAT in Jan 2017 as well, and plan to start dedicated studying (along with a FT job) August-December 2016 :)

I'm taking notes and building an anki deck. I want to focus my months leading up to the exam almost entirely on passages, so my plan is to get through the content now and not have to come back to it.

Is anyone else here using Kaplan for the 7 book series?

I planning to use TPR series, EK series and Kaplan series. I know it's an overkill, but I am not taking no chances. My Gpa is really low, around 3.0 with retakes, and I need a stellar MCAT. I'm not a native English speaker, and I'm gonna have issues with CARS, I think. I love to read though.
Any suggestions?

What about volunteering and shadowing?
Has anyone started yet? I'm planning to start soon. I've already contacted a hospice and a low income clinic. Hopefully will start soon.
Not planning to go the hospital route. I heard that you don't get to do anything.

I planning to use TPR series, EK series and Kaplan series. I know it's an overkill, but I am not taking no chances. My Gpa is really low, around 3.0 with retakes, and I need a stellar MCAT. I'm not a native English speaker, and I'm gonna have issues with CARS, I think. I love to read though.
Any suggestions?
You are going all out! I personally will be using just Kaplan, and reading news paper articles from the Times, etc. for help with my CARS section. There is a thread somewhere on here about how to improve your CARS score. I will link it once I find it.

As far as volunteering, I did some volunteering at the beginning of college which I am planning to use on my app. I volunteered in a nursing home calling bingo, leadning exercise, and doing room visits. It was pretty rewarding :)

Shadowing wise, I have gotten a feel for a few specialties (interventional cardiology, OB/GYN, family med, and anesthesiology) and so far anesthesiology has interested me the most. I really like the hands on and the physiology that I have gotten to see!

Has anyone started yet? I'm planning to start soon. I've already contacted a hospice and a low income clinic. Hopefully will start soon.
Not planning to go the hospital route. I heard that you don't get to do anything.

I volunteered at a local hospital during the fall semester, and I have two full days of shadowing under my belt so far. Going to do one more before spring semester starts back up again. I'll be volunteering at the hospital again in the spring, and I am working out details with a local Hospice as well.

I am planning to start studying "officially" for the MCAT in January 2017. For now I am using a website called Firecracker to help keep concepts I've learned fresh in my head. I do about 50 questions a day on topics I've already learned to make sure I don't forget.

Not sure if I'm going to do much with volunteer hours. Maybe I'll volunteer as a referee for the city rec league I play in once a week or so. Since I work 9-5 and have class on Saturday, I'll probably have to go the hospital route unless anyone has any other suggestions... I might even try to schedule a full day of shadowing once a month or two and just take a day off from work. I already have the clinical hours so I'm set with that at least.

PS- hospice is a great way to get in a volunteer! In most areas there are at least two or three agencies and you can actually find what agencies are in your area by using Medicare.gov

They're always looking for volunteers in hospice. Just call up an agency near you and ask to speak to their volunteer coordinator.

This is something I need to work on. I am lucky enough to have a number of physician friends, so I've done some shadowing. I am taking a week off soon, and plan to knock out another 50+ hours. I also have a decent amount of a non-clinical volunteering, but no recent clinical volunteering.

I plan to get a hospital volunteering gig and have about a year (hopefully about 200 hours) under my belt at the time I apply to medical school.

I was pretty active as a volunteer EMT back in college, but that was well over a decade ago.

I plan on throwing some more volunteering next year. One problem I have right now is trying to find non-resident physicians around to shadow at work. I work as pre-/post- cardiac recovery nurse and most of the docs I work with are residents/fellows. I was thinking about calling around some local clinics instead and inquire about some shadowing time.

Merry Christmas, fellow "Class of 2022" members.

Good luck this spring semester everyone! Starting Gen Chem 2 tomorrow... Between 12 hour night shifts blehhh

I don't start until the week of the 19th. Community college problems... Microbiology and precalc after three years of no academic classes, and it's been since 2009 since I've taken a math or biology class. So THAT'S going to be fun! :arghh:

Good luck this spring semester everyone! Starting Gen Chem 2 tomorrow... Between 12 hour night shifts blehhh
Ive felt your pain, hang in there.

I'm attempting to apply for this cycle guys and gals. However, I may not get enough MCAT prep in so there is a possibility that I may be applying with you all. Even so if I am not accepted first round I may be applying second round with you all.
Either way I'm always here for some unbiased advice.

I don't start until the week of the 19th. Community college problems... Microbiology and precalc after three years of no academic classes, and it's been since 2009 since I've taken a math or biology class. So THAT'S going to be fun! :arghh:

I had a 12 year gap between precalc and calculus, and I was the only person in my calc lecture to get a 100% on an exam that semester. It's doable and not as scary as it seems!

So I've been accepted to Pitt and will start class there in the fall. However, not all of the prereqs I need to take will be offered on weekends/at night. I'm taking classes at a community college currently, and they offer all the prereqs I need on weekends/at night. Plus it's $100 a credit vs $750 a credit and I'm sorely tempted to just stay at my CC instead of adding 15k more in loans at Pitt ... Ugh. So many decisions to make.

I've done the research and am aware that schools accept CC credits and aren't super preferential on CC vs 4 years (at least for the schools I plan on applying to), and that as long as I ace my MCAT I should be ok... But UGH. I'm still anxious regarding my decision.

I had a 12 year gap between precalc and calculus, and I was the only person in my calc lecture to get a 100% on an exam that semester. It's doable and not as scary as it seems!
Thank goodness. It'll just be weird getting back into things.

Starting today. Molecular Biology and 2 Engineering classes (8 credits). Working 12 hrs nights, 60 hours a week. It will be tough.
Wish me luck.