Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw someone else said that they calculated like 15 minutes per day for their ownership experience so I did that and mine came out to like 1,500 hours. That seems about right for average daily experience because sometimes I would spend a couple hours and sometimes I would spend 2 minutes.

I think what Caiter is saying though is that listing 1500 hours of "owned a dog" isn't going to look any better than listing 100 hours. In either case, the number is kind of arbitrary and whoever is reading your application probably knows that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you calculate hours from the day you were born? I think I am going to start from the time I had to independently care for an animal and I am pretty sure I was 10. How did you calculate your hours?
I was told by the admissions people start at about the age of 7 or 8 and feeding them, walking them, etc are considered hours. I personally think it is silly but all of my pets need medications and we have fostered animals with medical issues so I stated that instead of saying "I walked my dog"

Reactions: 1 user
I think what Caiter is saying though is that listing 1500 hours of "owned a dog" isn't going to look any better than listing 100 hours. In either case, the number is kind of arbitrary and whoever is reading your application probably knows that.

I saw someone else said that they calculated like 15 minutes per day for their ownership experience so I did that and mine came out to like 1,500 hours. That seems about right for average daily experience because sometimes I would spend a couple hours and sometimes I would spend 2 minutes.

Yeah, I meant the hours are pretty arbitrary for pet ownership. I put pet ownership on mine, but just put like 100 hours for each category (I put my dogs and cats in one, and then my exotics in another). I don't think listing a bunch of hours for pet ownership (again, unless it's showing/agility/etc where it's organized and set training is involved) is really going to help anymore than just putting it on there with a few hours. In the description, I listed the health issues certain pets had and the treatment/care that was needed for them.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I meant the hours are pretty arbitrary for pet ownership. I put pet ownership on mine, but just put like 100 hours for each category (I put my dogs and cats in one, and then my exotics in another). I don't think listing a bunch of hours for pet ownership (again, unless it's showing/agility/etc where it's organized and set training is involved) is really going to help anymore than just putting it on there with a few hours. In the description, I listed the health issues certain pets had and the treatment/care that was needed for them.
I did the same thing !

Does anyone have any feedback on the programs in Australia ?
Melbourne vs Sydney ????

I guess it depends on who you are and what your goals are.

Me? I'll take the year off, work, and apply again next year. Some people go to graduate school or do a post-bacc to strengthen their academics if need be. Some people get more experience. Whatever one chooses to do, just keep busy and live your life:)

I actually took this route because I wanted to pay of some student loans and get veterinary experience as well as job experience in general (my dad refused to let me work during school and it wasn't worth the arguing). I currently already have an interview with SGU this Monday.

I am having a huge issue with that. 1,000 characters with spaces is like nothing

I did the idiot thing and wrote 1000 words for the 3 essays then went back. I cut it down to 1000 characters afterwards. It was much easier for me than starting at 1000 characters. I also had a friend who made my essays fancy and flow better after I cut them down.

Has anyone else had their letters of rec have difficulty submitting the letter? One of mine said the website was horrible and it took a while to figure it out. My last letter writer has it finished, but he can't get it to work either (and he's not super involved with technology, so I don't know if he will be able to make it work).

Has anyone else had their letters of rec have difficulty submitting the letter? One of mine said the website was horrible and it took a while to figure it out. My last letter writer has it finished, but he can't get it to work either (and he's not super involved with technology, so I don't know if he will be able to make it work).
One of mine was unable to submit two years ago. Have them call VMCAS if the problem persists, mine unfortunately did not (and didn't tell me he was having issues until after the deadline...) so VMCAS was completely unhelpful.

My vet recommender is completely inept at computers but didn't have problems. Although she might have had her sister helped her.

Mine didn't work either and she is super proficient with technology

Hey guys

Do we know if people are still reviewing essay prompts ?
I should be done with mine today and wondered if there were people still reading them this late

Hey guys

Do we know if people are still reviewing essay prompts ?
I should be done with mine today and wondered if there were people still reading them this late
There are still a few people on the list here! 2022 Personal Statement(s) Readers Make sure to look at the last post since some people have removed themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of any place I can submit my essays to be checked over to see if they are okay? I am not the greatest essay writer and I would like to have them reviewed either on here or on a professional website? I asked a few people from the 2022 Personal Statement(s) Readers thread but I did not get a reply from many of the people I sent my essays to so I am looking for other resources. of Thank you!

Last edited:
Read two posts above.
I did do this I should have stated that in my original post. I did not get a reply from many of the people I sent my essays to so I am looking for other resources.

I did do this I should have stated that in my original post. I did not get a reply from many of the people I sent my essays to so I am looking for other resources.
I think most of the people on the list have already started classes or are starting this week so they might take a bit to get back to you. But it might be harder to find someone else on SDN since if they're not on there, they more than likely don't have time or just aren't willing to read people's essays.

Anyone willing to share their short essays with me through PM? I've re-written mine so many times because I just can't get under the damn character count without sounding so bland

I submitted! Yay I feel such a burden lifted. I'll give myself a little time off before starting supplemental essays lol

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone willing to share their short essays with me through PM? I've re-written mine so many times because I just can't get under the damn character count without sounding so bland
I completely agree. I feel like mine basically have no personality because you can't waste those precious characters on fluff.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys... quick simple question, on your extracurriculars like clubs/hobbies what are you putting for the status? (part time? temporary? per diem?)

Hi guys... quick simple question, on your extracurriculars like clubs/hobbies what are you putting for the status? (part time? temporary? per diem?)

I entered part time for anything I did on a somewhat regular basis and per diem for when I shadowed a day or two over breaks or anything like that

NC state has so many short essay questions! Did people utilize 250 words for each question?

Also, do schools include the current fall semester grades they will be receiving in january-ish in the last 45 credit GPA? Or is it calculated from right now?

NC state has so many short essay questions! Did people utilize 250 words for each question?

Also, do schools include the current fall semester grades they will be receiving in january-ish in the last 45 credit GPA? Or is it calculated from right now?
I believe schools calculate your last 45/36/30 GPA (depending on the school) based on what you have on your app when you submit. Lots don't ask for fall transcripts and most have started sending out interview invites (or holding interviews) before those grades would even be available.

It depends. A few of the schools I applied to updated them.

I'm pretty new to SDN but from all the scrolling and researching that I have done, I feel like I get a little more hopeless. I won't be applying soon but I thought I would share my question here since you are all going through the process now. I have an extremely low GPA which sucks because I have accumulated over 200 undergrad credits so getting my GPA up to even a 3.0 is going to be hard (I have a 2.86 now). I still have a few prerequisites that I need to take so I can definitely boost it up a little more before I apply. I am currently studying for the GRE and work full-time at an animal rehabilitation place.

I struggled a lot during undergrad because I didn't really know what I was interested in and went through different cycles of I want to be this and that and I didn't really discover my passion to be a vet until after undergrad. Mistakes and hardships were made but I am taking everyone's advice to apply smart and apply to schools that would consider me. With that being said so far I have Western University (min GPA is 2.7), Oregon state (doesn't have a minimum), and Ross university (looks at holistic app). I am still researching on more options however, this is where I'm confused. I feel like I never see any successful applicants with a GPA as low as mine. If I do, I see that they have received a masters. I don't see myself being able to pursue a masters for several reasons but the main one being that I don't have an idea of what I would want to study especially since you literally have to write a thesis about it lol. I would appreciate anyone's help or guidance or any forum threads I haven't read that could help me out I would appreciate it:)

I'm pretty new to SDN but from all the scrolling and researching that I have done, I feel like I get a little more hopeless. I won't be applying soon but I thought I would share my question here since you are all going through the process now. I have an extremely low GPA which sucks because I have accumulated over 200 undergrad credits so getting my GPA up to even a 3.0 is going to be hard (I have a 2.86 now). I still have a few prerequisites that I need to take so I can definitely boost it up a little more before I apply. I am currently studying for the GRE and work full-time at an animal rehabilitation place.

I struggled a lot during undergrad because I didn't really know what I was interested in and went through different cycles of I want to be this and that and I didn't really discover my passion to be a vet until after undergrad. Mistakes and hardships were made but I am taking everyone's advice to apply smart and apply to schools that would consider me. With that being said so far I have Western University (min GPA is 2.7), Oregon state (doesn't have a minimum), and Ross university (looks at holistic app). I am still researching on more options however, this is where I'm confused. I feel like I never see any successful applicants with a GPA as low as mine. If I do, I see that they have received a masters. I don't see myself being able to pursue a masters for several reasons but the main one being that I don't have an idea of what I would want to study especially since you literally have to write a thesis about it lol. I would appreciate anyone's help or guidance or any forum threads I haven't read that could help me out I would appreciate it:)

This would probably go better in the "what are my chances" thread and it helps if you include more than just you cumulative gpa (last 45 gpa, science gpa, experience)

I agree with @finnickthedog Post your info in "what are my chances". cumulative GPA is only a fraction of the picture and some schools, like Michigan State, don't even consider it anymore.

Non-traditional hoping to be accepted for 2022! Any other non-traditional students? Second time applicant from the class of 2017 cycle. Took a few years off to work in Food Safety and receive a Masters. Planning on Cornell, Colorado, Ohio, UPENN, Minnesota, Virginia-Maryland. VMCAS has changed a little bit since I first applied! Hopefully the GRE isn't too much different from when I took it in 2012.

Non-trad here as well! I took some time after undergrad to work in private practice and shelter med. I think I needed the experience in the clinics to confirm that it's the career for me, especially since the work is remarkably different from my original perception of it.

Applying for Midwestern, UC Davis, Washington State, Colorado State, and Western--basically the programs on the west side of the country, but really pulling for MWU. The program seems really innovative, the campus looks really beautiful, and the current students that I've talked with are all so happy and involved.

I put per diem I wasn't sure what to put

Does anyone know if western or LMU accept online courses for their upper division physiology prerequisite? And where people have satisfied this requirement?

Does anyone know if western or LMU accept online courses for their upper division physiology prerequisite? And where people have satisfied this requirement?

Hello! I had a similar issue. Western would not accept my PHYS class from Pepperdine so I am retaking it during the application process at a community college. Almost all of the Los Angeles community colleges have one that Western will accept. Just check their Pre-Req Database.

Just about ready to send my application! stress relieved but another stress added on!

Last edited:
I submitted everything yesterday! It was weirdly relieving yet stressful all at the same time... let the waiting game begin.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those that attended multiple schools, which GPA did you list under "student reported GPA from primary school"? I received my bachelors from one school but did the all of my prerequisites as well as majority units from another school. My GPA from the school where I completed all my prereqs is considerably much higher than the school I received my bachelors in. I googled what they mean by primary school and according to the VMCAS manual, "Primary” indicates whether the selected institution is the primary institution from which you earned your undergraduate or bachelor’s degree, or the most credits, or completed the majority of your prerequisites." Judging from that, I have the impression that you can enter either/or if you attended multiple schools so naturally I entered in the GPA from my prereq school. However, while doing transcript verification, they also ask the question of which of the listed do you consider your primary school and there is a brief description underneath that states your primary school is the school you will or have received your bachelors in. My question is, is it best to enter the GPA from the school that I received my bachelors in to correlate with the school I listed as "primary" in the transcript verification or is it okay to go by what the manual says? I would much rather list my GPA from my prereq school but I just don't want to give the impression that the GPA that I listed is the one I received from the school I listed in the verification and they think I am lying.

For those that attended multiple schools, which GPA did you list under "student reported GPA from primary school"? I received my bachelors from one school but did the all of my prerequisites as well as majority units from another school. My GPA from the school where I completed all my prereqs is considerably much higher than the school I received my bachelors in. I googled what they mean by primary school and according to the VMCAS manual, "Primary” indicates whether the selected institution is the primary institution from which you earned your undergraduate or bachelor’s degree, or the most credits, or completed the majority of your prerequisites." Judging from that, I have the impression that you can enter either/or if you attended multiple schools so naturally I entered in the GPA from my prereq school. However, while doing transcript verification, they also ask the question of which of the listed do you consider your primary school and there is a brief description underneath that states your primary school is the school you will or have received your bachelors in. My question is, is it best to enter the GPA from the school that I received my bachelors in to correlate with the school I listed as "primary" in the transcript verification or is it okay to go by what the manual says? I would much rather list my GPA from my prereq school but I just don't want to give the impression that the GPA that I listed is the one I received from the school I listed in the verification and they think I am lying.

The primary school is the one where you got your bachelor's degree. I would change that and list that GPA don't worry they'll calculate your total GPA as well.

I was in the same situation. I put the college that I got my bachelor degree at. Thats what I read somewhere in the VMCAS website. I wanted to put my post-bacc school since the GPA was higher but I just followed the rules.

Anyone else graduating in Dec? What's your plans during your gap?
I am graduating from my post-bach program in Dec. I'm just going to work and finish my CNA courses

Hi

Anybody applying to University of Sydney ?
I am wondering if the LORs have to be sent to them directly ????

When I applied, I called VMCAS as I had attended multiple schools. They said to EITHER list the school (and pertinent GPA) where I obtained my B.A. OR to list the school where I acquired the majority of my prerequisites (along with the pertinent GPA). I listed the latter as it was much more pertinent. If things are the same this year, I am sure you could do that. You can always call to ask :).

Hey guys

I thought I posted this yesterday but now I don't see it
Major panic !!!
VMCAS says they have not received my transcripts from UC Davis even tho they show having been sent first class mail on 8/14!
I immediately sent it electronically and overnight on Friday !!!!!
I called vmcas and they said they have to be processed by them which takes 7-10 bus days
Has anyone had this situation ????
Any advice ?

hi all, so quick question. for the experience section did yall do bullet points or paragraph form? cuz i am not sure which method would be more acceptable.

hi all, so quick question. for the experience section did yall do bullet points or paragraph form? cuz i am not sure which method would be more acceptable.
Either is ok - just be consistent with whatever you choose
I did paragraph

Hey guys

I thought I posted this yesterday but now I don't see it
Major panic !!!
VMCAS says they have not received my transcripts from UC Davis even tho they show having been sent first class mail on 8/14!
I immediately sent it electronically and overnight on Friday !!!!!
I called vmcas and they said they have to be processed by them which takes 7-10 bus days
Has anyone had this situation ????
Any advice ?
Don't worry, it will be processed even after the deadline and you will be verified. Don't panic.

Does VMCAS accept electronic transcripts? If so, to what email address? I'm having this problem with another school sending one of my transcripts and having it not received or matched at VMCAS. I've sent 3 hard copies so far so I'm starting to panic, too.
Yes ! They accept it through credential solutions or parchment

Are there any other class of 2022 hopefuls out there reading all these posts and some what stressing about classes and applications?!
Hi everyone! New member here...confused about where in the world I add publications? I've read previous threads on this and the format in "experience" isn't really appropriate for these (week info etc.). I have research experience in that section, but there isn't exactly enough room in the description box to add anything about it except "co-authored publications". It should be in the "achievement section!! Grrrr