Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I feel like this has been asked many times, but when looking at Gre scores, are there any schools that will compare only the best tests vs the best individual sections from each test?

I haven't posted in a while and then I saw this thread :)

I am a Texas resident and I'm applying to: A&M, Iowa, Kansas, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Western! :clap:

Excited and extremely nervous......

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone noticed a difference in the VIN cost of education map? It is now showing that Purdue would be cheaper than U Missouri which is quite odd.
So as someone who went to both Purdue and Mizzou... VINs cost of living expenses are off a bit (at least for me). Living in West Lalaland is at least the same if not a little higher than living in CoMo, so really Mizzou would be less expensive OOS if you negate living costs since they were pretty similar for me in both places. As an aside you can find really cheap housing here (like $250-350 a month if you are okay with roommates).

I couldn't even really find my answer above on personal websites except for Kstate by section. OK state by test date.

Next problem, and far more pressing. Is there supposed to be a way to input future courses for the fall and spring, we are going to be taking to justify prerequisites?

I couldn't even really find my answer above on personal websites except for Kstate by section. OK state by test date.

Next problem, and far more pressing. Is there supposed to be a way to input future courses for the fall and spring, we are going to be taking to justify prerequisites?
What other schools are you applying to? Someone here might know, if not I would call or email the schools directly.

And yes, enter the courses under the correct semester and classify them as "planned."

@Calvin_the_dog some schools also ask about planned coursework specifically for prerequisites on their supplemental application.

I know that most schools don't want to see pet ownership under animal experience but what about things like advanced training? One of my dogs I've done a fair amount of training with and even trained her to pass the Canine Good Citizen test. We've done three advanced classes with an actual trainer. Definitely more than just training her to sit and down.

Also curious if learning to ride horse counts as animal experience?

I know that most schools don't want to see pet ownership under animal experience but what about things like advanced training? One of my dogs I've done a fair amount of training with and even trained her to pass the Canine Good Citizen test. We've done three advanced classes with an actual trainer. Definitely more than just training her to sit and down.

I listed dog training (actually, I listed it twice because I did it at two different clubs during two different periods of my life) and horseback riding.

Submitted and verified! Still have my supplementals to finish and one eLOR writer needs to submit, but I'm on the home stretch! I saw somebody post about the emotional roller coaster of applying and I can totally relate. It's so difficult to figure out where you stand. Some days I'm confident, and other days I feel like I don't stand a chance. Time will tell, I suppose! Good luck guys!

Reactions: 9 users
Ok I have a few questions and the more I think about them, the more confused I am. Hoping you guys can help:

1. I did my undergrad at UC Davis and majored in animal bio, so most of my classes are animal bio classes. However, in VMCAS, animal bio is NOT a subject option. What to do ?

2. I took a new upper division statistics course through fish and wildlife conservation dept called " the wildlifers quantitative toolkit ". This course meets the UC Davis upper division stats requirement BUT it is listed on my transcript as a directed group study. How do I indicate that this is a statistics class on my application? I am worried that CSU may not catch this just my application. Davis said to have the professor write a letter but not sure where I send the letter ?

3. I took a class called science and society . Does this fall under social sciences ?

Members don't see this ad :)

I actually talked with Dr. Foreman at Illinois (my IS school) about why I was waitlisted this year and he said the only reason was because I did not list owning a pet as animal experience so I would recommend putting in on their just in case. Learn from my mistake :(

I actually talked with Dr. Foreman at Illinois (my IS school) about why I was waitlisted this year and he said the only reason was because I did not list owning a pet as animal experience so I would recommend putting in on their just in case. Learn from my mistake :(
Wow...I know they have to weed out people but wow especially when different schools have such varying views on the subject of animal ownership.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow...I know they have to weed out people but wow especially when different schools have such varying views on the subject of animal ownership.
Exactly! I have over 7,000 hours of experience not including animal ownership anyway so I did not think it was necessary.

Did you go back a second time to talk to him? I know I saw you on the Illinois 2022 thread saying he wouldn't answer your questions and you weren't applying there this year anymore and people said that was really odd and out of character for him, so just wondering if you ended up going back and actually getting some answers

So I am planning to take the GRE once more on Aug 28th to try to beef up my quant Scores !
Do I report the GRE scores on VMCAS or do they get sent directly to the schools ?

Also - does anybody know if there are schools with earlier GRE deadlines ?

So I am planning to take the GRE once more on Aug 28th to try to beef up my quant Scores !
Do I report the GRE scores on VMCAS or do they get sent directly to the schools ?

Also - does anybody know if there are schools with earlier GRE deadlines ?
You can submit them directly to the schools after you finish the test. There is a way to look up all the different codes. You only get to send 4 for free.

You can submit them directly to the schools after you finish the test. There is a way to look up all the different codes. You only get to send 4 for free.
Ok sweet !
I read somewhere that some schools have a deadline date by which you have to have taken the GRE

Exactly! I have over 7,000 hours of experience not including animal ownership anyway so I did not think it was necessary.
I wasn't going to list pet ownership as animal experience for the same reason you thought. I may just add it to my application now.

How many hours should you list for owning a pet? I have a lot of other experience with animals that I'm listing, so I would like to put it on the conservative side but am unsure how many hours sounds reasonable.

Did you go back a second time to talk to him? I know I saw you on the Illinois 2022 thread saying he wouldn't answer your questions and you weren't applying there this year anymore and people said that was really odd and out of character for him, so just wondering if you ended up going back and actually getting some answers
No because it's a 3 hour drive so we drove 6 hrs in a day to see him and I didn't feel like making the trip again. I'm applying to a handful of other schools and submitted my VMCAS now.

I wasn't going to list pet ownership as animal experience for the same reason you thought. I may just add it to my application now.

How many hours should you list for owning a pet? I have a lot of other experience with animals that I'm listing, so I would like to put it on the conservative side but am unsure how many hours sounds reasonable.
To calculate it I just said maybe 15 minutes a day for however old I am and it came out crazy high and then I rounded down to like 2,000 hrs.

Ok I have a few questions and the more I think about them, the more confused I am. Hoping you guys can help:

1. I did my undergrad at UC Davis and majored in animal bio, so most of my classes are animal bio classes. However, in VMCAS, animal bio is NOT a subject option. What to do ?

2. I took a new upper division statistics course through fish and wildlife conservation dept called " the wildlifers quantitative toolkit ". This course meets the UC Davis upper division stats requirement BUT it is listed on my transcript as a directed group study. How do I indicate that this is a statistics class on my application? I am worried that CSU may not catch this just my application. Davis said to have the professor write a letter but not sure where I send the letter ?

3. I took a class called science and society . Does this fall under social sciences ?

In regards to #2 - I was in a similar situation in which one of my programs was in the middle of a curriculum revision so all the core classes actually show up on my transcript as "Special Topics" - I talked to some schools about it and they're having me submit a document from my university explaining what the courses actually were, to attach to my supplementals. I emailed VMCAS - there isn't a place to put that type of explanation directly in your VMCAS.

In regards to #2 - I was in a similar situation in which one of my programs was in the middle of a curriculum revision so all the core classes actually show up on my transcript as "Special Topics" - I talked to some schools about it and they're having me submit a document from my university explaining what the courses actually were, to attach to my supplementals. I emailed VMCAS - there isn't a place to put that type of explanation directly in your VMCAS.
Super helpful !!! Thanks so much

This blows my mind ! Why does it matter if you own a pet or not
Some people can't afford to ‍♀️

The nerves are definitely starting to kick in. Retaking the GRE the end of this month and trying to get the last of my LORs to submit earlier rather than the night before. :smack: Got a few more essays to finish before I submit and then i'm in the semi-clear area:rofl:

So I know generally the explanation statement is for hardships or stuff like that, but would it be appropriate to include my MS major and an explanation of my undergrad transcript here? I'm getting an MS in Veterinary Science, so I feel it's pretty relevant to my application, but it's not an option on the drop-down menu in VMCAS and I've had to label my MS major as other/not listed. My undergrad also did this weird thing where any class that was 100-level was freshman or sophomore level and any class that was 200-level was junior or senior level. Some vet schools specify that certain courses must be upper level and I want it to be clear that 200-level courses on my transcript are in fact upper level. They also switched the numbering system my final year of undergrad, so the whole transcript is sort of confusing. Idk would it be better to just contact the schools I'm applying to individually?

Did any applicants of previous years have difficulty getting to all of their interviews, even if applying to a few schools? My spring semester starts January 9th. My IS has said interviews will either be the 13th or the 20th. If they were the 13th, I wouldn't bother flying back to school for 3 class days. However, I can't see myself being able to miss 8 class days. Additionally, WSU says their interviews will be Jan 22-26th and U Missouri says Jan 5, 6, 7, 13, or 14. All of these days are so close to one another it is stressing me out. I know I am thinking way in the future. When will I even know about when/if I have interviews? I'm pretty sure my IS only tells us around mid-December.

Did any applicants of previous years have difficulty getting to all of their interviews, even if applying to a few schools? My spring semester starts January 9th. My IS has said interviews will either be the 13th or the 20th. If they were the 13th, I wouldn't bother flying back to school for 3 class days. However, I can't see myself being able to miss 8 class days. Additionally, WSU says their interviews will be Jan 22-26th and U Missouri says Jan 5, 6, 7, 13, or 14. All of these days are so close to one another it is stressing me out. I know I am thinking way in the future. When will I even know about when/if I have interviews? I'm pretty sure my IS only tells us around mid-December.
I think most schools are going to tell you about mid-December. Some will tell you earlier (obviously will if they have interviews in December) if they have really early January interviews. I think there's a good amount of schools that will tell you on their website when they send out interview offers, but for the ones who don't or you can't find it, you can just go through last years (or even further back) thread and see when people started posting that they got interviews. It's generally about the same time every year for each school, so previous years SDN applicant threads would be a good place to look and get an idea of when they'll be sending them out.

Of those you listed I don't see it being a problem getting to. Missouri you get to pick your day I've been told and everything is completed in one day. WSU invites went out about Dec 15 last year. Missouri invites went out about November 20.

PS if I get invites to interview at all schools I applied to I won't be home a single weekend in January.

I just checked my email and I got my interview notification on Dec. 12 for Oregon State. Interview itself was not the same as WSU's because I know someone who interviewed there. Hopefully you'll be busy, but fine.

Of those you listed I don't see it being a problem getting to. Missouri you get to pick your day I've been told and everything is completed in one day. WSU invites went out about Dec 15 last year. Missouri invites went out about November 20.

PS if I get invites to interview at all schools I applied to I won't be home a single weekend in January.
That's awesome Missouri lets you pick and lets you know somewhat early!
Edit: what airport for Missouri?

Last edited:
I feel like it's smack dab in the middle between Kansas City and St. Louis? You'd probably have more options flying into STL than KCI. I'm pretty sure it's a bigger airport.
CoMo has an airport, but of course it is probably more expensive to fly into since it's smaller. A lot of people do STL or KCI and rent a car or there is a shuttle for like $90 I think that will take you to CoMo from KCI. I'm lucky and have a friend going to school there so hopefully she'll be cool with letting me crash on her couch and will pick me up from an airport and take me to my interview.

Would it be a bad idea to contact the schools I am applying to and ask if they prefer to see owning an animal on the experience page or not?? I am seeing so much conflicting information about it and I don't want to screw myself if I do or don't so I am thinking about just asking but is that frowned upon? I feel like everything I do can and will be the wrong thing to do haha:eek:o_O

Would it be a bad idea to contact the schools I am applying to and ask if they prefer to see owning an animal on the experience page or not?? I am seeing so much conflicting information about it and I don't want to screw myself if I do or don't so I am thinking about just asking but is that frowned upon? I feel like everything I do can and will be the wrong thing to do haha:eek:o_O
The way I see it is that schools can always disregard experiences but they can't make them up for you. Some schools like to see everything so that's kinda what I am doing.

The way I see it is that schools can always disregard experiences but they can't make them up for you. Some schools like to see everything so that's kinda what I am doing.
You don't think if a school doesn't want to see it and you have it on your application that they'll roll their eyes and move along?

You don't think if a school doesn't want to see it and you have it on your application that they'll roll their eyes and move along?
Lol that's basically what I think they will do. I don't think a school will penalize you for including pet ownership because they know we (most of us) are applying to multiple schools on a standard application. I would rather include it and have certain schools disregard it then not include it and be penalized by other ones.

WSU and ISU admissions people have both stated they will just note it and move on if they don't care. They won't ever penalize you for listing it exactly for the reason @ziggyandjazzy said it is the main application going to multiple schools.

WSU and ISU admissions people have both stated they will just note it and move on if they don't care. They won't ever penalize you for listing it exactly for the reason @ziggyandjazzy said it is the main application going to multiple schools.
Good call...... thanks!

Lol that's basically what I think they will do. I don't think a school will penalize you for including pet ownership because they know we (most of us) are applying to multiple schools on a standard application. I would rather include it and have certain schools disregard it then not include it and be penalized by other ones.
Makes sense.. I think I will then. I am not sure how to calculate how many hours I have spent on my animals my whole life... next hurdle. :wtf:

To calculate it I just said maybe 15 minutes a day for however old I am and it came out crazy high and then I rounded down to like 2,000 hrs.
Did you calculate hours from the day you were born? I think I am going to start from the time I had to independently care for an animal and I am pretty sure I was 10. How did you calculate your hours?

Did you calculate hours from the day you were born? I think I am going to start from the time I had to independently care for an animal and I am pretty sure I was 10. How did you calculate your hours?
I think most people say once you start actually taking care of them more than a toddler or little kid really can. And definitely be conservative on the hours but if there are/were health conditions that require extra care to note that and adjust the hours accordingly.

I know WSU is okay with noting it, but I want to say I saw somewhere unless it's something like training/showing/agility, etc where it's an organized thing, you want to cap hours at like 100 for that. The hours won't matter or really help you if you list 2000 for just something like owning a dog, they'll just note what you have dog experience and move on.

I know WSU is okay with noting it, but I want to say I saw somewhere unless it's something like training/showing/agility, etc where it's an organized thing, you want to cap hours at like 100 for that. The hours won't matter or really help you if you list 2000 for just something like owning a dog, they'll just note what you have dog experience and move on.
I saw someone else said that they calculated like 15 minutes per day for their ownership experience so I did that and mine came out to like 1,500 hours. That seems about right for average daily experience because sometimes I would spend a couple hours and sometimes I would spend 2 minutes.