Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just adding to the GRE practice vs. real scores discussion - just did mine today (yay its over). I did the 2 ETS practices and I think they do a pretty good job of being accurate. On my first I got 164V/157Q. My second practice was 167V/157Q. Today I got 165V/155V. I think test anxiety is what placed me a little lower, but I still am happy with where I ended up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out my last 45 credit GPA and Science GPA? Is there a website/calculator? Are the last 45 credits any course I took? I have my cumulative and I was waiting for my VMCAS transcript verification to see if they would calculate the rest but I'd like to know how to do it on my own!

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out my last 45 credit GPA and Science GPA? Is there a website/calculator? Are the last 45 credits any course I took? I have my cumulative and I was waiting for my VMCAS transcript verification to see if they would calculate the rest but I'd like to know how to do it on my own!
Let 45 is the last 45 credits of any type of course you took at any college. If the last 45 falls in a semester and it's not an even split between semesters, you have to count the whole semester, even if you end up with like 52 credits in your last 45 calculation.

The FAQs from the VMCAS help page can tell you what the science GPA includes.

Members don't see this ad :)

What ski said above. Also, VMCAS science GPA may be different from how some schools calculate your sGPA. In some cases it's negligible but my science, for example, ranged from 3.36-3.6. It helps to know which schools require what so you can get an idea of what your sGPA for any particular program will be.

Let 45 is the last 45 credits of any type of course you took at any college. If the last 45 falls in a semester and it's not an even split between semesters, you have to count the whole semester, even if you end up with like 52 credits in your last 45 calculation.

The FAQs from the VMCAS help page can tell you what the science GPA includes.
Thank you! That was actually exactly my case I was at 52 credits.

What ski said above. Also, VMCAS science GPA may be different from how some schools calculate your sGPA. In some cases it's negligible but my science, for example, ranged from 3.36-3.6. It helps to know which schools require what so you can get an idea of what your sGPA for any particular program will be.
I noticed they mentioned that on their website. I'm hoping they calculate it in my favor!

Got my writing score back and got a 5. Not too shabby for only looking at that section the day before :p

Reactions: 5 users
@ziggyandjazzy how long did it take for you to get your scores back? I just took the test last week...
I got my scores back in 9 days. I was actually scheduled to take it today but the testing center cancelled it so I had to reschedule it earlier. I actually am glad that happened in hind sight lol.

Reactions: 1 users
So I just was looking at UFlorida's requirements and I saw that 80% of prerequisites had to be completed prior to submitting application... Has anyone heard of any other schools that might have this?
I'm back in school taking the last 20 credits in the fall all prereqs. I was hoping to get my app in this cycle, but now I'm panicking! Thoughts?
UF did that, TAMU did a similar thing in that they rank you for interviews but for every class you don't have, they subtract points. Something like that. @Great Butts you applied TAMU, right?

When answering this prompt "Consider the breadth of society which veterinarians serve. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?", how many attributes do you think are necessary to include? I am having a hard time having room to write about having a part of each of 5 attributes I included as being important and I feel like I need to narrow it down a little? Or maybe shorted why I have these attributes.. Not sure how to tackle this issue. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
When answering this prompt "Consider the breadth of society which veterinarians serve. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?", how many attributes do you think are necessary to include? I am having a hard time having room to write about having a part of each of 5 attributes I included as being important and I feel like I need to narrow it down a little? Or maybe shorted why I have these attributes.. Not sure how to tackle this issue. thanks!
Sounds like you can you can start broad and then narrow it down to maybe the three that you have the best examples of for yourself.

Thank you guys! Hearing that really eases the stress a little. I have decided to not retake the test. I figure it's futile since I would need to increase my verbal score 8-10 points for it to be significant and given the limited amount of time I have to study, I don't think that's going to happen. Not to mention verbal has always been my weak suit. Just going to cross my fingers that my gpa, experience, and LOR will be good enough.

Yes, Penn is already on the list :) Mind if I ask what your GRE scores were exactly?
I got 144 and 146 and Penn declined me and also told me this year that if I don't get better scores I'm pretty much guaranteed not to get in -_-

How many characters do you guys have for this question? I would probably pick 2-3 to expand on.

Five sounds like a lot for such a short essay. Whenever possible, you want to use details and anecdotes to illustrate your main point. (Which is difficult in such an unreasonably short essay!) If you can use one little story that shows off more than one trait, that will probably be best. You really don't want to end up with a laundry list of traits with no explanation, so go for depth over breadth and combining things where you can. Another way to do it is to name a few traits and then identify the most important and go into more detail about that one.

Depth >>>> breadth. It's not like adcoms will assume you lack a trait because you didn't mention it, so you don't need to mention everything. I know it sucks, but writing a few versions of the same essay is sometimes the easiest way to decide what works and what doesn't.

You have my sympathy. The questions this year are hard!

Five sounds like a lot for such a short essay. Whenever possible, you want to use details and anecdotes to illustrate your main point. (Which is difficult in such an unreasonably short essay!) If you can use one little story that shows off more than one trait, that will probably be best. You really don't want to end up with a laundry list of traits with no explanation, so go for depth over breadth and combining things where you can. Another way to do it is to name a few traits and then identify the most important and go into more detail about that one.

Depth >>>> breadth. It's not like adcoms will assume you lack a trait because you didn't mention it, so you don't need to mention everything. I know it sucks, but writing a few versions of the same essay is sometimes the easiest way to decide what works and what doesn't.

You have my sympathy. The questions this year are hard!
Thank you so much for your reply it helps a ton! I decided to narrow it down to three traits so it'll help with relating it to myself..thanks again!

How many characters do you guys have for this question? I would probably pick 2-3 to expand on.
I narrowed it down to three because I only have 1000 characters to write with and its super hard!

Is anyone else having issues with answering the prompt "Please tell us about a time when you felt a sense of responsibility for someone other than yourself. What had happened and what was the outcome?"? I honestly don't know where to begin because I don't feel like I have really felt responsible for someone else? Not sure what to do.. These prompts are killing me almost as much as only have 1000 characters to write enough to look good... ugh

Is anyone else having issues with answering the prompt "Please tell us about a time when you felt a sense of responsibility for someone other than yourself. What had happened and what was the outcome?"? I honestly don't know where to begin because I don't feel like I have really felt responsible for someone else? Not sure what to do.. These prompts are killing me almost as much as only have 1000 characters to write enough to look good... ugh
Is that a prompt for a supplemental application? I haven't seen that one before. Hmm, have you ever baby-sat, been a camp counselor, tutored, trained a new employee, helped teach a class, etc.?

I think it's part of the new PS stuff
No, these are the three prompts for that:

1. There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?
2. In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
3. Considering the breadth of society we serve as veterinarians today; what attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?

Is that a prompt for a supplemental application? I haven't seen that one before. Hmm, have you ever baby-sat, been a camp counselor, tutored, trained a new employee, helped teach a class, etc.?
I apologize it is on the questions for Michigan on the VMCAS. I have trained a new employee before. I was also a student leader for orientation for my school and I was the president of a club at my school also. But I am finding difficulty in writing about how I felt responsible for them when I'm not sure that I actually did feel responsible for them?

It's for MSU's supplemental.

Does the training certificate considered an an achievement award or an experience???

No, these are the three prompts for that:

1. There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?
2. In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
3. Considering the breadth of society we serve as veterinarians today; what attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?
well then.

you can clearly see how much of my essays i have gotten done so far with this extremely busy summer :bag:
(though apparently it's MSU's so at least I knew I recognized it from somewhere.........)

What kind of training certificate are you referring to?
Like for example, I was trained for dental positioning radiograph techniques and i received the certificate at the end of the training. DENTAL RADIOLOGY POSITIONING TRAINING CERTIFICATE IN CANINE AND FELINE

I have sort of a weird question. Today was mouse euthanasia day in our lab and I got a chance to do a cervical dislocation. It went well. Afterwards, my professor then informed me I was the first student she has had (of 8-10) who has performed it correctly on their first go. She said the rest of the students have not completely severed the spine at first. Anyways, she asked me if she could include observations from mouse handling including euthanasia in her recommendation or if that would be bad. Thoughts? I figured it was ok but she didn't want to gross anyone out if they were eating lunch while reading the application lol.

I have sort of a weird question. Today was mouse euthanasia day in our lab and I got a chance to do a cervical dislocation. It went well. Afterwards, my professor then informed me I was the first student she has had (of 8-10) who has performed it correctly on their first go. She said the rest of the students have not completely severed the spine at first. Anyways, she asked me if she could include observations from mouse handling including euthanasia in her recommendation or if that would be bad. Thoughts? I figured it was ok but she didn't want to gross anyone out if they were eating lunch while reading the application lol.

I don't see why not! If professors can include specific incidences, I'm sure that'd be even better. Plus, if you're reading a vet school applicant evaluation you should probably expect to get some details about how great they are!! At least that is something I'd expect! If you have the minimum requirement of 1 evaluation from a vet, 1 from a professor and another from someone who can vouch for your integrity, I'd expect at least 1 evaluation to have a similar story or scenario described by the writer!

I'm feeling like essay prompts 1 & 2 are slightly repetitive, anyone else agree? I don't know how to explain what I'd want to contribute to society that I didn't already touch in what I'd want my career goals to be.

Hey Guys,
Filling out the University of Missouri supplemental application....They ask for your SAT scores. Is anyone else having trouble finding out their SAT score? I looked online and you can request your scores to be sent to a school for an additional fee. At this point, is it even applicable (It's been over 7 years since I graduated high school, and I doubt that this is beneficial to my application). They even ask for your rank in high school. Does this NEED to be filled out, or can it be left blank? Not sure what to do here.

Hey Guys,
Filling out the University of Missouri supplemental application....They ask for your SAT scores. Is anyone else having trouble finding out their SAT score? I looked online and you can request your scores to be sent to a school for an additional fee. At this point, is it even applicable (It's been over 7 years since I graduated high school, and I doubt that this is beneficial to my application). They even ask for your rank in high school. Does this NEED to be filled out, or can it be left blank? Not sure what to do here.
Can you not contact your high school to find out? They likely have records.

Hey Guys,
Sandy's correct. If you don't remember at all, I think when I applied it said to leave it blank or put a zero.

I didn't take the SAT (I did the ACT), but I couldn't remember either my ACT scores or high school rank when I applied to Mizzou two years ago. I contacted them about it at the time and they assured me that it's not used for anything beyond statistical/survey purposes and that I could just guesstimate and that'd be fine. It doesn't impact your actual application.
See I didn't know this at the time and I panicked and went onto the ACT website, changed my password, and logged in. Glad it actually doesn't matter. :laugh:

Hey Guys,
I know some people back in to C/O 2021 left it blank, but I would try your high school first and double check with Mizzou (my ACT score is on my undergrad transcript maybe your SAT scores is too?)

I didn't take the SAT (I did the ACT), but I couldn't remember either my ACT scores or high school rank when I applied to Mizzou two years ago. I contacted them about it at the time and they assured me that it's not used for anything beyond statistical/survey purposes and that I could just guesstimate and that'd be fine. It doesn't impact your actual application.

Thank you guys! I am waiting on an email back from them but I think they will give me the same information. It would definitely be a hassle to find out my scores at this point! Thanks everyone, the information on here is extremely helpful!

Hey Guys,

I hope it can be left blank, I didn't even take the SAT..

I'm pretty sure I gave Missouri my best guess and that was fine. I'm sure if you can't log-in online, 5 minutes on the phone will get you the info you need. They should be able to look you up by birthday and other personal info. Don't worry, you're not going to get rejected because you don't know your SAT/ACT score or because it was too low!

Hey guys I was wondering if it's too late to start on my application for this cycle? I had planned on taking more upper level science classes this fall and next spring to bring up my gpa but a part of me would like to give it a try for this year anyway considering I have all my pre-reqs and my GRE. I've entered all my coursework into vmcas and planning on sending transcripts in the next week. I still need to write my essays and ask for LORs. BTW I'm only applying to one school (VMCVM). Is this doable???

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys I was wondering if it's too late to start on my application for this cycle? I had planned on taking more upper level science classes this fall and next spring to bring up my gpa but a part of me would like to give it a try for this year anyway considering I have all my pre-reqs and my GRE. I've entered all my coursework into vmcas and planning on sending transcripts in the next week. I still need to write my essays and ask for LORs. BTW I'm only applying to one school (VMCVM). Is this doable???

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
No it's not too late! I'd ask your eLORs ASAP though so they can have as much time possible to write it! Vmcas is due... September 15 (?) (Or October 15 never can remember which- unless they changed it.) which is more than enough time to write the 3 PS's and VA-MD's (4?) supplemental essays.

Will you be a little busy? Sure. But you definitely have time.

No it's not too late! I'd ask your eLORs ASAP though so they can have as much time possible to write it! Vmcas is due... September 15 (?) (Or October 15 never can remember which- unless they changed it.) which is more than enough time to write the 3 PS's and VA-MD's (4?) supplemental essays.

Will you be a little busy? Sure. But you definitely have time.
Sept 15 just FYI

I never expected to find a place like this, and SkiOtters reply just made me realize I already absolutely love it here
You guys definitely seem like a family and even better we are all pre-vet/vet/vet med field or hopefuls!!

Reactions: 3 users