Class of 2022 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are your guys' writing prompts for VMCAS?
In case you haven't found them, they were posted earlier in the thread:
1) There are many career choices within the veterinary profession. What are your future career goals and why?

2) In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society And what do you hope to contribute?

3) Considering the breadth of society we serve as veterinarians today; what attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?

1000 characters each

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really considering whether or not I need to retake the GRE. (153V/158Q/3AW). I took my 2 hr drive to the testing location immediately before taking the test. (10 min to spare). If I were to take it again I'd probably get a hotel the night before because I was so exhausted.
So y'all know my stat comparison... I'm applying to CSU/WSU/Iowa mainly (all OSS), and my cumGPA 3.134, last 45 3.63 (mainly my science since I went back to school for prevet after getting my degree). I'm also right around 500 hours for vet experience.

What are your thoughts? Take it again or no need?

I'm really considering whether or not I need to retake the GRE. (153V/158Q/3AW). I took my 2 hr drive to the testing location immediately before taking the test. (10 min to spare). If I were to take it again I'd probably get a hotel the night before because I was so exhausted.
So y'all know my stat comparison... I'm applying to CSU/WSU/Iowa mainly (all OSS), and my cumGPA 3.134, last 45 3.63 (mainly my science since I went back to school for prevet after getting my degree). I'm also right around 500 hours for vet experience.

I applied to WSU but I'm not too familiar with the other schools. WSU puts you in the first tier for admissions if you can get to an average percentile of 75 across the three sections, so that might help. Right now it looks like you're in the third tier, and for OOS, WSU seems to mostly give interviews to first tier applicants. Not sure how they are for WICHE applicants. Here's what I mean about tiers if you're not familiar: http://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/academic-criteria

As for whether you should retake it, it really depends on how well you can do. What were your practice tests like before you took it the last time?

If you think you can study and do well, it might be worth it. Definitely take a good practice test before signing up. If your scores don't want to budge, or you have other weaknesses in your app you can fix (like retaking an F or D for a school that replaces grades or getting more hours or diversity if you're low on that) you'll have to decide what's more important.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to WSU but I'm not too familiar with the other schools. WSU puts you in the first tier for admissions if you can get to an average percentile of 75 across the three sections, so that might help. Right now it looks like you're in the third tier, and for OOS, WSU seems to mostly give interviews to first tier applicants. Not sure how they are for WICHE applicants. Here's what I mean about tiers if you're not familiar: http://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/academic-criteria

As for whether you should retake it, it really depends on how well you can do. What were your practice tests like before you took it the last time?

If you think you can study and do well, it might be worth it. Definitely take a good practice test before signing up. If your scores don't want to budge, or you have other weaknesses in your app you can fix (like retaking an F or D for a school that replaces grades or getting more hours or diversity if you're low on that) you'll have to decide what's more important.

Super helpful info. On practice tests, I scored around 157-8 on verbal while my quantitative was relatively the same. I didn't spend really too much time studying, only took two practice tests on the days before. My biggest weakness is vocabulary which can easily be improved upon. I really should just take it again. I was just hoping not to due to the expense and the travel. Bummer.

Super helpful info. On practice tests, I scored around 157-8 on verbal while my quantitative was relatively the same. I didn't spend really too much time studying, only took two practice tests on the days before. My biggest weakness is vocabulary which can easily be improved upon. I really should just take it again. I was just hoping not to due to the expense and the travel. Bummer.

Hope it helps! The GRE is a pain, but especially if you didn't study much you can definitely get your score up with some work. I really liked Magoosh and I know others on here did too. If you're undecided about retaking it, you can also ask the school about how important the GRE is in their decision- they may be able to give you more info about what you should do.

How are you guys approaching this third prompt?

"Consider the breadth of society which veterinarians serve. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the veterinary profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?"

I listed out 5 attributes that are most important based on my experiences, but don't really know how to approach the part of the prompt where I have to discuss which ones I possess. I feel as if I hold all of them to at least some degree, but I don't have enough characters to describe why that is for every, single one and don't feel that would be wise considering that some of them are more of a strength for me than others. On the other hand, I'm anxious about only choosing the characteristics that are my biggest strengths because in my mind, that gives off the impression that I don't possess the other attributes at all (unless I maybe acknowledge that I'm working on improving those?) Is anyone else having these difficulties with this prompt?

Does anyone have any insight on what you should focus on in regard to the part in question #3 where they want you to describe how you've "demonstrated these attributes in the past?" Should it just be about how you've demonstrated these attributes in the veterinary field, or is anyone including examples from outside vet med? Thanks!

Does anyone have any insight on what you should focus on in regard to the part in question #3 where they want you to describe how you've "demonstrated these attributes in the past?" Should it just be about how you've demonstrated these attributes in the veterinary field, or is anyone including examples from outside vet med? Thanks!

I haven't finished my app yet, but I definitely don't think its meant to be exclusive to veterinary medicine. Since most applicants have a variety of experiences with some only shadowing while others have more hands on experience, I think it would be limiting to only have it relate to veterinary medicine experience. The question also doesn't specify. I think it means that whatever you list as an attribute you possess, you need to back it up with an example from your own life experience. For example, if you list nice handwriting as an essential attribute that veterinarians should have and that you also possess, you should list anything that you have done where you've been recognized for nice handwriting, including awards, etc. (I know its a silly example, but I think you get the point)

Reactions: 3 users
I haven't finished my app yet, but I definitely don't think its meant to be exclusive to veterinary medicine. Since most applicants have a variety of experiences with some only shadowing while others have more hands on experience, I think it would be limiting to only have it relate to veterinary medicine experience. The question also doesn't specify. I think it means that whatever you list as an attribute you possess, you need to back it up with an example from your own life experience. For example, if you list nice handwriting as an essential attribute that veterinarians should have and that you also possess, you should list anything that you have done where you've been recognized for nice handwriting, including awards, etc. (I know its a silly example, but I think you get the point)

Thank you, this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, this helps!

@BlueGoose gave great advice. Just to expand on that, everyone and their mother is (probably) going to write about something vet-related. If there's something impressive or unusual about you outside of vet med that you can use as an example, that can help you stand out!

Anyone out there take General Chemistry II online somewhere?? If so please share!

Hey guys, I was trying to fill out the application for UF and it calls for microbiology and lab.... i took cell bio and cell lab, and i also took a seminar in cell and micro, but i'm not sure if cell bio/lab would count for micro? My school offered microbio but it didn't have a lab so i took seminar in cell and micro because it better fit my requirementsto graduate. Does this count me out of UF?

Hey guys, I was trying to fill out the application for UF and it calls for microbiology and lab.... i took cell bio and cell lab, and i also took a seminar in cell and micro, but i'm not sure if cell bio/lab would count for micro? My school offered microbio but it didn't have a lab so i took seminar in cell and micro because it better fit my requirementsto graduate. Does this count me out of UF?
This is definitely a school question. You need to shoot them an email to make sure it does or doesn't count. Good Luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Did i mention how much I hate character counts on all these essays...I understand why they're there but I run out of space to say what I want to...o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
this might be a stupid question, but is "research" only in regards to animal related research???

You have lots of time to retake it so I would say if you think you can do a lot better, take it again!

Hey everyone! Good luck to all of you applying this year. If I can recommend anything, what really helped me was writing everything in google docs. I had different files for each section and I always checked the character count there too (which is a few more then vmcas). I used google docs for my supplementals too. Then at the end I just copied and pasted everything. I did this in case I needed to reapply because vmcas does not save everything from year to year.

I did this in case I needed to reapply because vmcas does not save everything from year to year.
They do save quite a bit now! (I think it's a newer feature that started last cycle maybe?) but they save a good portion of everything you entered, which is great. You do have to go back through and check the "I have reviewed this information" boxes in all the sections, but all your experiences, coursework, personal info on the actual VMCAS app gets transferred over (not anything on the school specific tabs though)

They do save quite a bit now! (I think it's a newer feature that started last cycle maybe?) but they save a good portion of everything you entered, which is great. You do have to go back through and check the "I have reviewed this information" boxes in all the sections, but all your experiences, coursework, personal info on the actual VMCAS app gets transferred over (not anything on the school specific tabs though)

That's good then, because they should save most if not all of it! I just remember people having to re-enter a lot because it wasn't saved.. so that's good!

Hope it helps! The GRE is a pain, but especially if you didn't study much you can definitely get your score up with some work. I really liked Magoosh and I know others on here did too. If you're undecided about retaking it, you can also ask the school about how important the GRE is in their decision- they may be able to give you more info about what you should do.
Chiming in to say Magoooooooosh! I loved it! I wish I would've taken it more seriously (did physics 1+ lab and worked full time), but it was super helpful. My second test was much harder than my first, but with Magoosh I was still able to do well.

Also feel free to PM me with any questions you have about applying/ if you want me to read the writing stuff. I got a LOT of help from SDNers last year- I sent my personal statement to 20 different SDNers, which really helped me. So now I feel obligated to pass it on and help the c/o '22ers (plus I really do want to help).

Do they save your experiences in order now? Because last year I used my saved info and my experiences were in some random order and I had to delete/reenter everything because they told us there would be no auto reordering. Made me grumpy.

Do they save your experiences in order now? Because last year I used my saved info and my experiences were in some random order and I had to delete/reenter everything because they told us there would be no auto reordering. Made me grumpy.
Fabulous question. I have only vaguely looked at VMCAS.....

Okay... What is with VMCAS' tech support? I had issues the day the application opened up with not being able to access any sections for more than a few minutes at a time. Most of the time it just kicks me out of the system as if I am logged out even though I am logged in. I called their support number and the people on there were awesome and told me how they forwarded my issue to tech support. The last guy I talked to assured me that he will personally follow up with tech support for me and has been emailing me with updates. The first time I tried to get them to look into the error they said they couldn't replicate it and said I was out of luck. When I called back a few days later, the guy with customer service told me that they shouldn't have told me that and should've offered an alternate solution instead. Anyways, that leads us to him forwarding them the info once again and asking if there is anything else I can do (e.g. sharing my screen with them when the error is occurring). I told them I am going out of the country for a month starting in few weeks, so I will be unable to access my application during that time. My plan was to finish it up before leaving so I could check it over and submit in mid August. This whole situation is so frustrating to deal with and I now know why there are so many horror stories with this platform. I suggested to them that I just try creating a new account, but tech support is insistent that it is solely a local issue with my cookies, browser, etc. Except I've tried it on 3 devices with 3 different browsers so that definitely isn't the case lol. They never even replied to my comment about wanting to create a new account, so I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to do this? Any ideas?

Okay... What is with VMCAS' tech support? I had issues the day the application opened up with not being able to access any sections for more than a few minutes at a time. Most of the time it just kicks me out of the system as if I am logged out even though I am logged in. I called their support number and the people on there were awesome and told me how they forwarded my issue to tech support. The last guy I talked to assured me that he will personally follow up with tech support for me and has been emailing me with updates. The first time I tried to get them to look into the error they said they couldn't replicate it and said I was out of luck. When I called back a few days later, the guy with customer service told me that they shouldn't have told me that and should've offered an alternate solution instead. Anyways, that leads us to him forwarding them the info once again and asking if there is anything else I can do (e.g. sharing my screen with them when the error is occurring). I told them I am going out of the country for a month starting in few weeks, so I will be unable to access my application during that time. My plan was to finish it up before leaving so I could check it over and submit in mid August. This whole situation is so frustrating to deal with and I now know why there are so many horror stories with this platform. I suggested to them that I just try creating a new account, but tech support is insistent that it is solely a local issue with my cookies, browser, etc. Except I've tried it on 3 devices with 3 different browsers so that definitely isn't the case lol. They never even replied to my comment about wanting to create a new account, so I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to do this? Any ideas?

their support kind of sucks. Not sure if this is the case for you, but I remember last year if I had the application open in more than one browser window (or two different browsers), it would automatically log me out. Make sure you only have one instance across all devices open at one time and see if that fixes it.

Honestly, I don't see what it would hurt if you created a new account with a different email address. It was probably a glitch from the first day you made it.

There are plenty of people that log on just to check out VMCAS but do not end up applying so the application just remains open until VMCAS closes. With the issues you are having and leaving the country for a month, I would try to just create a new account so you don't end up screwed because they can't fix their system/your account. Before you do I'd log out of VMCAS and delete all of your cookies & browser history. Save all of your info for your current account just incase. Good luck if you decide to do it! I hope you'll have better luck the second time around :)

Does anyone have thoughts on how to classify experience with fish, skates, coral, crustaceans, etc? I worked in a marine laboratory doing husbandry and I'm not sure if it should be animal or work experience. I always classified marine mammals as animal experience, but I wasn't quite sure about this one, thanks!

Does anyone have thoughts on how to classify experience with fish, skates, coral, crustaceans, etc? I worked in a marine laboratory doing husbandry and I'm not sure if it should be animal or work experience. I always classified marine mammals as animal experience, but I wasn't quite sure about this one, thanks!
sounds like animal experience that you were paid for to me. So I would classify as animal and check the compensated box.

Reactions: 1 users
This is driving me absolutely insane. I created a new account to try and get around the glitch that was occurring on my old account. It seemed to be working, but then the dreaded message came back up:
Vmcas doesn't even know what's wrong, so I'm probably just out of luck at this point...

This is driving me absolutely insane. I created a new account to try and get around the glitch that was occurring on my old account. It seemed to be working, but then the dreaded message came back up:
Vmcas doesn't even know what's wrong, so I'm probably just out of luck at this point...

Grab a handle and grab a phone, you're in for a rough go with customer service

Grab a handle and grab a phone, you're in for a rough go with customer service
Might need a couple bottles of alcohol lol. I'm currently trying to use the hotspot from my phone instead of wifi and it seems to be working so far. Now that I've written this down though, it's most definitely going to crap out on me immediately after switching tabs haha.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if it is better to list experiences in paragraph form or in a bullet point style like a resume?

Does anyone know if it is better to list experiences in paragraph form or in a bullet point style like a resume?

Last year the consensus was that either way was fine as long as you are consistent throughout the app.

does anyone have any advice for how in-depth the description should be for experiences?

Is anyone else struggling with the "diversity" question, what makes you unique and why should we accept you? I don't know you just have to meet me I'm weird...:thumbup:

In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
Has anybody started on this prompt? I am really confused with this topic. Any ideas???

Is anyone else struggling with the "diversity" question, what makes you unique and why should we accept you? I don't know you just have to meet me I'm weird...:thumbup:
where is this question?

I would guess that your seminar would not count as a class for them. Cell bio is also a different class than micro, so I would also guess this would not suffice for their micro requirement. When I applied, Florida was the most specific about what they wanted for their prereqs. For example they would not accept the Microbiology class I took even though it included lecture and lab. It was a regular micro class every other school accepted, but it did not have exactly what they wanted in the syllabus so they said I needed to take a different micro class in order to have that suffice.

So, your best bet is always to check with the school just in case. I would email UF directly and give them the syllabus of the cell bio class you took. I would also ask them about your seminar you took. This way you know for sure.

Last edited:
Do you have any unique hobbies you could write about?

In what ways do veterinarians contribute to society and what do you hope to contribute?
Has anybody started on this prompt? I am really confused with this topic. Any ideas???

what are you confused about? it seems like a pretty clear prompt.

Do you have any neat hobbies (art, music, wiring, etc.?)? Are you a non-traditional applicant with a previous career? Are you multilingual? Have you traveled out of the country and gotten intimate with other cultures? Any sports or anything like that? Did you grow up socioeconomically disadvantaged in some way?

Surely there's something that makes you unique and would add diversity to your class. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any unique hobbies you could write about?

I do have a few like competitive gymnastics, NCAA track, running marathons, boating ect but I'm having a hard time capturing the essence of my "diversity" with that information

I do have a few like competitive gymnastics, NCAA track, running marathons, boating ect but I'm having a hard time capturing the essence of my "diversity" with that information

Those are great activities and they can definitely help you stand out. What did you learn from them, and how will you use those experiences as a vet student/vet? Those are the kinds of things schools want to know about.

what are you confused about? it seems like a pretty clear prompt.
I am not sure if i am supposed to talk about every single way veterinarian contribute to society such as research, public health, animal welfare etc first and then talk about what i will contribute out of these ways.

I am not sure if i am supposed to talk about every single way veterinarian contribute to society such as research, public health, animal welfare etc first and then talk about what i will contribute out of these ways.
Figure out one or two areas to focus on that you feel strongly about. You only have 1000 characters so try to make things as specific to you as you can.

I'm having difficulty with the "career choices" question. I want to do either small animals or exotics but I have no idea if I want to specialize or not etc. I figure I will make that choice as I learn more in school. So I'm not really sure how to go about answering it besides that there are so many career options and I haven't settled on something super specific yet...

I'm having difficulty with the "career choices" question. I want to do either small animals or exotics but I have no idea if I want to specialize or not etc. I figure I will make that choice as I learn more in school. So I'm not really sure how to go about answering it besides that there are so many career options and I haven't settled on something super specific yet...

I am having the same trouble. I feel like my time in vet school will be when I discover my true passion in the veterinary field and which avenue I want to go down.

I am having the same trouble. I feel like my time in vet school will be when I discover my true passion in the veterinary field and which avenue I want to go down.
Yes, like I understand they want to verify we know things about the career field. At the same time, I've always heard that you will figure out what you want to specialize/focus on while in school. Ah!

I think at this point you can say what part of vet med was powerful enough to get you to go through all this pain and agony of applying. haha

I think it's definitely okay to say that you're not 100% sure yet! In fact, I think if someone said "I'm going to specialize in X and that's that and there's nothing else I'd want to do" it would come across as naive and unrealistic. Just discuss what your current interests/aspirations are and how your experiences have shaped those interests.

I think at this point you can say what part of vet med was powerful enough to get you to go through all this pain and agony of applying. haha
I feel like if I used that, it would come off as a super corny "I love animals" cliche answer.