Class of 2021 Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/03/16
Date verified: 10/07/16
OAT Scores: 350 AA 360TS
Major: Human Biology & Society
GPA: 3.57
Extracurricular Activities:
President of Pre-Optometry Club, Member of Circle K, Intern at private practice, shadowed 3 docs (hospital, costco, group practice)
Schools applied: SUNY, ICO, UCBSO, Pacific
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted: Pacific
(12/2), UCBSO (01/28), SUNY (10/25)
Interviews declined: ICO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Pacific 12/9, UCBSO 02/10, SUNY (10/26)

If anyone's been accepted to both SUNY and UCBSO, I'd love to hear where you decide to go and why!
Hello sclera2020!

I am a current first year at SUNY, and I love it!

I chose SUNY, because diversity and NYC are such a big part of my personality. I spent a part of my childhood in Queens, but I primarily grew up in the suburbs. I decided when I was a teenager that I wanted to be in the city.

Another factor for me was that I love both the clinical and academic/research portion of optometry and SUNY had both of that. While I agree with @pentaholic94 that being stuck in a building for 10 hours a day can be nerve-wracking especially around finals time, the people that you meet in this building and what you learn will make your time at SUNY very colorful. Even what you see in clinic is interesting. Because New York is so diverse, you see people of all walks of life bringing entrusting you to help out their eye problems. I have never ever seen the same case twice in clinic.

Everyone is super friendly here and we all support each other. Plus, we just got a grant from the governor for new simulators. You really are getting the highest level of optometric education here.

Secondary to going to SUNY is that you are part of a legacy of some of the brilliant clinicians and visionaries in the field of optometry. You might meet them at a networking event at SUNY or over brunch at their house or they might even be your professor. Our optics and visual functions professor wrote the books for both his courses. Our optometric theory professor is a pioneer in the understanding of myopia and its mechanisms.

Financially wise, you get in-state tuition starting 2nd year. It's a state law that you have to live in NY state one year to be a state resident and get the student discount on tuition.

Even for someone who lived in the city in the past, it took me about 2 weeks to adjust to living alone and being in the city. I eventually overcame that with the help of friends and professors. NYC out there to explore. I will be the first to admit that I am not so much a Manhattan girl, as I am a Queens girl. To me Times square is very overrated, but I love exploring all the hole in the wall places and everything NYC has to offer. For example, last Friday I ate out at 3 different awesome places in Manhattan (Japanese food in mid-town, Indian food in NoHo , followed by a whopping rice pudding in SoHo), and then promptly the next day I ran a 4 mile race in the most scenic Central Park with my professor and classmates. Btw I know I'm ranting, but if you ever want recommendations about food, housing, or sights and NYC feel free to ask me. :)

Best wishes with your decision and future ~

Members don't see this ad.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/6/2016
Date verified: 11/15/2016
OAT Scores: AA 320/ TS 310
Major: General Biology
GPA: 3.13
Extracurricular Activities: Pre-optometry Society officer, Biology Fraternity, Tutor for elementary - high school mathematics, Shadowing multiple optometrists in different settings, and Receptionist at private practice.
Schools applied: PCO, NECO, NSUCO, OSUCO
Interviews extended/date: OSUCO - undecided
Interviews accepted: PCO 12/2, NECO 1/13, NSUCO 1/27
Interviews declined: X
Rejections/date: X
Acceptance/date: PCO 12/9, NECO 1/19, NSUCO 2/3

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/6/2016
Date verified: 11/15/2016
OAT Scores: AA 320/ TS 310
Major: General Biology
GPA: 3.13
Extracurricular Activities: Pre-optometry Society officer, Biology Fraternity, Tutor for elementary - high school mathematics, Shadowing multiple optometrists in different settings, and Receptionist at private practice.
Schools applied: PCO, NECO, NSUCO, OSUCO
Interviews extended/date: OSUCO - undecided
Interviews accepted: PCO 12/2, NECO 1/13, NSUCO 1/27
Interviews declined: X
Rejections/date: X
Acceptance/date: PCO 12/9, NECO 1/19, NSUCO 2/3

Nice!! Did you hear back from any of those schools yet? I have similar stats.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/17/16
Date verified: 08/22/16
OAT Scores: TS 350 , AA 350
Major: Integrative Biology
GPA: 3.45
Extracurricular Activities: volunteer leader at raptor rehabilitation center, working in hospitals, tutoring premedical students in biological sciences, shadowing optometrists (private practice, vision therapy, OD PhD), work at university eye center, undergraduate research on rodent social behavior, pre-optometry club, sketching and painting
Schools applied: SUNY, UCB, SCCO, Western, Midwestern AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: Western 09/02/16, SCCO 09/09/16, MWU AZCOPT 9/02/16, SUNY 10/19/16, Berkeley 01/06/17
Interviews accepted: All
Interviews declined: None
Rejections/date: Western University (alternate list), SCCO, Midwestern University AZCOPT
Acceptance/date: SUNY 12/08/16

Decision: SUNY
im really surprised you got rejected from western and scco... your stats seem really competitive

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8-30-2016
Date verified: 8-30-2016
OAT Scores: 320 TS/ 310 AA (Just retook the OAT on 1/31/2017 and improved from 280 TS/ 300 AA)
Major: Biology
Cumulative GPA: 3.32 sGPA: ~3.16
Schools applied: PUCO, UIWRSO, Nova, AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: PUCO (9-30-2016), UIWRSO (2-2-2017), Nova (2-6-2017), AZCOPT (2-17-2017)
Interviews accepted: PUCO (11-4-2016), UIWRSO (2-24-2017), Nova (2-27-2017), AZCOPT (3-31-2017
)
Rejections/date: PUCO (alternate list)
Acceptance/date: UIWRSO (3-1-17), Nova (3-3-17), AZCOPT (3-6-17)

Attending AZCOPT!!

I'm def gonna be the worst one lol

Date OptomCAS submitted:
09/08
Date verified: 09/15
OAT Scores: 280/290
Major: Bio
GPA:
2.8 science, 3.2 overall
Extracurricular Activities: basic stuff like club e-board, i shadowed an optometrist for a couple of hours, history working at a non-profit so i sort of spun that to show how much i love people
Schools applied: ICO, Salus, Pikeville, NOVA, NECO, Midwestern, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: MCPHS (10/27) Pikeville (11/28)
Interviews accepted: MCPHS (11/03)
Interviews declined: Pikeville (11/28)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
MCPHS (11/16)

I get that I wasn't getting interviews because my OAT scores were not very good but the whole process was so expensive and arduous that I'll take what I can get at this point.
MCPHS was already my first choice, though. I really identify with their underdog vibe.

Believe.
Hey,
I have similar stats as you and got waitlisted. Do you think i have a chance of getting in this cycle? I applied on 10/26/16

im really surprised you got rejected from western and scco... your stats seem really competitive
Not to bash on the OP or anything, but remember that once you're offered the interview, your stats don't matter as much. Your stats are what got you the interview, yes, but during the interview, your qualities, your traits, and your ability to communicate them clearly to your interviewer are what get you admitted to your desired school.

I agree; his stats were really competitive, but he may not have done as great during the interview portion. Don't rely on just your stats to get you into your schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/16/16
Date verified: end of November
OAT Scores: 1st time 290 second time 310
Major: biology/ chemistry
GPA: optomcas 3.4 science 2.8
Extracurricular Activities: President of medical career's society, Chair of a community service club, Shadowed 100+ hours, Worked as a Ophthalmic tech for a clinic surgery center for 1 year, community service every week with various events, Played violin in several orchestras, attended Salus winter workshop
Schools applied: Salus, NOVA, KYCO, Rosenburg
Interviews extended/date: salus-nov, NOVA & KYCO feb
Interviews accepted: Salus, NOVA, KYCO
Interviews declined: none
Rejections/date: none
Acceptance/date: KYCO 2-20, NOVA- pop program, Salus- standby list

Date OptomCAS submitted: 01/11/17
Date verified: 01/19/17
OAT Scores: 310 TS, 310 AA
GPA: 3.5 (so far, I graduate in June)
Extracurricular Activities: Two different honors societies, pre-Optometry club at school, and optometric technician (since 09/13/15).
Schools applied: Western, SCCO, Midwestern AZ, PCO, MCPHS.
Interviews extended/date: PCO (1/20), Midwestern AZ (1/24), MCPHS (2/6), SCCO (2/15), Western (2/21).
Interviews accepted: PCO, SCCO, Western
Interviews declined: Midwestern AZ, MCPHS
Rejections/date: None
Acceptance/date: PCO (2/15; informed that seats full, placed on standby list), SCCO (3/6; informed that seats full, placed on waitlist), Western (3/22; seats left! *faints*).

I will be attending Western Class of 2021!:)

Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/12
Date verified: 1/19
OAT Scores: AS-300, TS-300
Major: Kinesiology
GPA: 3.0
Extracurricular Activities: Captain of a dance team, TU government, ISAT secretary, Intern for 2 months, shadowing for 6 months
Schools applied: NECO, SALUS, MCPHS, NOVA, ICO, CCO
Interviews extended/date: Salus (12/19), NECO (2/17), ICO (3/22)
Interviews accepted: Salus (1/3), NECO (3/20), ICO (4/17)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: NECO (3/30) YAY!, Salus (stand-by list..3/29)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm super late on posting this :happy:

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/22/16
Date verified: 07/25/16
OAT Scores: 330 AA/ 320 TS
GPA: 3.56
Medlife (medical mission trips), 2 years of organic chemistry research, hippotherapy program volunteer, hospice volunteer
Schools applied: SCO, UABSO, UMSL, UHCO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (8/8), UABSO (8/25), UMSL (8/29), (Never heard from UHCO, wouldn't answer my emails or phone calls)
Interviews accepted: SCO (9/9), UCBSO (9/16), UMSL (9/19)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO (9/21), UABSO (9/30), UMSL (9/19)

I will be going to SCO!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 1/18/2017
Date verified: 1/25/2017
OAT Scores: 340 AA/340 TS
Major: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.66
Extracurricular Activities: Varsity football, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Intramural Sports
Schools applied: PUCO, AZCOPT, UHCO
Interviews extended/date: PUCO (1/25), AZCOPT (2/3), UHCO (2/6)
Interviews accepted: PUCO (2/17), AZCOPT (3/3), UHCO (3/20)
Rejections/date: PUCO (2/23; alternate list)
Acceptance/date: AZCOPT (3/6), UHCO (3/20)

Going to UHCO! :)

Date OptomCAS submitted: 2/1/17
Date verified: 2/3/17
OAT Scores: 310/300
GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular Activities: Worked as an assistant at private optometry practice, shadowed 3 optometrists, sorority, chem club, various community service
Schools applied: Salus, NOVA, UHCO
Interviews extended/date: Salus (2/6), NOVA (3/6)
Interviews accepted: Salus (3/13), NOVA (3/31)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date: Have not heard back from UHCO
Acceptance/date: Salus (3/22), NOVA (4/7)

Date OptomCAS submitted: 1/10/17
Date verified: 2/10/17
OAT Scores: 300/300
Major: Bachelore in Optometry ( India )
GPA: 3.48
Extracurricular Activities: Worked with Acuvue CL ( J&J ) and Alcon Ltd in total for 6 years and since then working as an assistant at private optometry practice
Schools applied: Indian, NOVA, UHCO
Interviews extended/date: Never heard of interview ( may not be for inte rational student )
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: awaiting
I fear it's going to be 2 months and I have not heard from any university, although they have taken

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/30/2016
Date verified: 08/01/2016
OAT Scores: 330 TS/320 AA
Major: Biology, Business Certificate
GPA: 3.77
Schools applied: UHCO (only one currently)
Interviews extended/date: UHCO (8/26)
Interviews accepted: UHCO (9/26)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UHCO (9/26)

Going to UHCO!!!

Yay comgrats I want to go there

Date OptomCAS submitted: 1/10/17
Date verified: 2/10/17
OAT Scores: 300/300
Major: Bachelore in Optometry ( India )
GPA: 3.48
Extracurricular Activities: Worked with Acuvue CL ( J&J ) and Alcon Ltd in total for 6 years and since then working as an assistant at private optometry practice
Schools applied: Indian, NOVA, UHCO
Interviews extended/date: Never heard of interview ( may not be for inte rational student )
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: awaiting
I fear it's going to be 2 months and I have not heard from any university, although they have taken
I really need inputs friends , please help me understand, if I really hold any chance... I know no one can be sure but please give your views

I really need inputs friends , please help me understand, if I really hold any chance... I know no one can be sure but please give your views

Have u contacted admissions at the schools?

Not yet, as I thought I is not good to keep calling ... But as I am getting advice I believe I must call or better I mail them

Not yet, as I thought I is not good to keep calling ... But as I am getting advice I believe I must call or better I mail them

I'm assuming you meant email...?

I'm not sure about NOVA but I know UHCO's last interview was last Monday.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 02/21/2017
Date verified: 03/01/2017
OAT Scores: 400TS/390AA
Major: Rehabilitation Science (Occupational Therapy)
GPA: 3.57
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed a pediatric ophthalmologist and three optometrists, volunteered in hospitals for 1.5 years, volunteered with children with disabilities, volunteered abroad in Ecuador and Dominican Republic. Two research projects.
Schools applied: SUNY, Salus traditional and scholars
Interviews extended/date: 03/03/2017 (SUNY) ; 03/02/2017 (Salus for both programs)
Interviews accepted: 04/03/2017(SUNY); 04/04/2017(Salus Scholars)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
SUNY (04/11) with heartless email almost saying "You were a waste of our time."
Acceptance/date: Salus Traditional (04/12) | (05/11) got mail that I was awarded 9700 renewable scholarship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 02/03/2017
Date verified: 02/10/2017
OAT Scores: 330TS/330AA
Major: Chemistry
GPA: 3.18
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed an optometrist for roughly 40 hours (over 4 months), volunteered for undergrad research and heart & stroke foundation
Schools applied: NECO, ICO, MCPHS, IAUPR, WUCO, KYCO
Interviews extended/date: NECO (02/17/2017), MCPHS (02/21/2017), ICO (02/23/2017), WUCO, (03/03/2017), IAUPR (03/06/2017),
Interviews accepted: NECO (03/23/2017), MCPHS (03/24/2017), ICO (03/27/2017), IAUPR (03/31/2017), WUCO (04/28/2017)
Interviews declined: WUCO (I accepted the interview at first but then I got accepted to schools already so I'm about to cancel with them)
Rejections/date: KYCO (didn't get an interview from them)
Acceptance/date: NECO (03/30/2017), MCPHS (03/30/2017), IAUPR (04/05/2017), ICO (04/07/2017)

I decided to go with ICO and just paid the deposit yesterday =)

Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/26
Date verified: 09/26
OAT Scores: 370 TS/ 370 AA
Major: Behavioral Neuroscience
GPA: 3.42 overall/3.19 science
Schools applied: ICO (invited on 10/12 to do supplemental app - never completed it), SCCO, Western (supplementary submitted 11/1), Midwestern-AZ, UCBSO (11/30 lol I really put it off until the last minute)
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (9/30) SCCO (10/14) Western (10/20) UCBSO (1/6)
Interviews accepted: Midwestern (11/2), SCCO (11/14), Western (12/2), UCBSO (1/28)
Interviews declined: Western (cancelled)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Midwestern-AZ 11/2 (found out right away at the end of the day after interview/tour), SCCO 11/15 (emailed the next morning), UCBSO 2/9 (phone call)

Attending Berkeley!
Congratulations on your acceptance! I just have a question in regards to Berkeley, I know that they don't have rolling admissions, so when you were accepted to the other schools did you put a deposit down to hold your place until Berkeley reached out to you? And how long will they hold your place for? Thanks!

OAT Scores: 1st time: AA 320/TS 300​
2nd time: AA 340/TS 330
Major: Integrative Neuroscience
GPA: 3.46
Extracurricular Activities: Optometry club, Bio TA, research assistant for developmental vision lab, volunteer work, 4 shadowing experiences in variety of settings (private practice, specialization, non-profit organization), optical assistant at retail optical
Schools applied: SUNY, PCO, NECO, ICO(never did supplement), MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (2/24), PCO (11/29), MCPHS (12/2), NECO (12/10)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (3/1), PCO (12/5)
Interviews declined: MCPHS, NECO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PCO (12/8), SUNY (3/6)

I retook the OATs the second time because SUNY requested it while they kept my application on hold. But, thankfully I'll be at SUNY this coming August!

OAT Scores: 1st time: AA 320/TS 300​
2nd time: AA 340/TS 330
Major: Integrative Neuroscience
GPA: 3.46
Extracurricular Activities: Optometry club, Bio TA, research assistant for developmental vision lab, volunteer work, 4 shadowing experiences in variety of settings (private practice, specialization, non-profit organization), optical assistant at retail optical
Schools applied: SUNY, PCO, NECO, ICO(never did supplement), MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (2/24), PCO (11/29), MCPHS (12/2), NECO (12/10)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (3/1), PCO (12/5)
Interviews declined: MCPHS, NECO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
PCO (12/8), SUNY (3/6)

I retook the OATs the second time because SUNY requested it while they kept my application on hold. But, thankfully I'll be at SUNY this coming August!
Welcome to the pack! We can't wait to meet our littles!

Not to bash on the OP or anything, but remember that once you're offered the interview, your stats don't matter as much. Your stats are what got you the interview, yes, but during the interview, your qualities, your traits, and your ability to communicate them clearly to your interviewer are what get you admitted to your desired school.

I agree; his stats were really competitive, but he may not have done as great during the interview portion. Don't rely on just your stats to get you into your schools.
What really counts is that you survive and get that OD.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/23/16
Date verified: 9/26/16
OAT Scores: AA: 370; Total Science: 380
Major: BA Psychology
GPA: 3.3; Science: 2.9
Extracurricular Activities: Volunteered at NYEEI, Shadowed two doctors (private practice + retail)
Schools applied: PCO, SUNY, MCPHS , NECO, IU, OSU, NOVA, ICO
Interviews extended/date: PCO (10/5), SUNY (9/28), MCPHS (10/17), NOVA (10/11), ICO (10/19)
Interviews accepted: PCO, SUNY,
Interviews declined: Canceled MCPHS and NOVA and never scheduled ICO b/c I got accepted to SUNY
Rejections/date: -
Acceptance/date: PCO (10/13 - 3 days after interview); SUNY (10/21 - the day after the interview + headed there next year!)

Good Luck to everyone applying!
Welcome to this crazy place that we call SUNY Optometry! We look forward to meeting our littles!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/01/2016
Date verified: 7/18/2016
OAT Scores: 300 Overall/270 Sciences
Major: Sociology (B.A.)
GPA: 3.4 overall/3.08 science
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowed two different optometrists for 20 hours each, worked as an eye-care advisor at LensCrafters (30 hours/week), volunteered at Kaiser Hospital, Meeting Coordinator for the last few years
Schools applied: Western, ICO, Salus, MCPHS, Midwestern, and SCCO
Interviews extended/date: MCPHS (10/17) Western (1/25) Salus (12/7)
Interviews accepted: MCPHS (11/5) Western (2/24)
Interviews declined: Salus (personal reasons)
Rejections/date: -
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (12/8)

So, my OAT scores are not that great, luckily I was still able to get some interviews..
I committed to MCPHS as a back up, but I'm really hoping I get into Western! I live in California, about 30 minutes away from Western, so it would be very, very nice to stay close to my family!!
Does anyone have any tips for Western's interview? :)
Hey! Were you able to get into western? or did you stick to MCPHS?

Hey! Were you able to get into western? or did you stick to MCPHS?
I got waitlisted for Western! So I'm still waiting to hear back and hopefully I get off the waitlist, but if not, I'll be attending MCPHS!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/22/16
Date verified: 9/23/16
OAT Scores: 320 AA / 300 TS
Major: Microbiology and Immunolgy
GPA:
2.93 cumulative
alot
Schools applied:
Western,IAUPR,ICO,KYCO,NOVA,PCO,SCCO,NECO
Interviews extended/date:
PCO (9/27), NOVA (10/13),KYCO (11/1), IAUPR (11/22), Western (12/12)
Interviews accepted:
PCO(10/28),NOVA(10/21),KYCO(12/2),IAUPR(2/17), Western(1/28)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
SCCO,NECO,ICO
Acceptance/date:
KYCO(5/1),Western (4/7),PCO(standby list),IAUPR (2/28)

I'm going to western and withdrawing from PCO Stanby list, I did have an OAT retest scheduled to get of PCO standby list but once I got the acceptance from western I canceled.

GPA: 2.93 cumulative
alot
Schools applied: Western,IAUPR,ICO,KYCO,NOVA,PCO,SCCO,NECO
Interviews extended/date: PCO (9/27), NOVA (10/13),KYCO (11/1), IAUPR (11/22), Western (12/12)
Interviews accepted: PCO(10/28),NOVA(10/21),KYCO(12/2),IAUPR(2/17), Western(1/28)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
SCCO,NECO,ICO
Acceptance/date: KYCO(5/1),Western (4/7),PCO(standby list),IAUPR (2/28)

I'm going to western and withdrawing from PCO Stanby list, I did have an OAT retest scheduled to get of PCO standby list but once I got the acceptance from western I canceled.
Where did you go for undergrad?

Any suggestions for Optometry schools to apply to without taking biochem? I have had Organic 1 and 2, not sure if Organic 2 will substitute for Biochem. Thanks!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 03/15/2017
Date verified: 03/16/2017
OAT Scores: 300 overall, can't recall science specifically but let's just say not awesome
Major: Political Science/Women's Studies
GPA: 3.42
Extracurricular Activities: optometric technician
Schools applied: Salus, NECO, MCPHS, Western
Interviews extended/date: Salus, NECO, MCPHS, Western
Interviews accepted: Salus, NECO, WCPHS
Interviews declined: Western
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Salus (05/01), MCPHS (05/02), NECO (waitlist)

Hi all! My route to optometry school has been convoluted - I finished undergrad and grad school a while ago with non-science degrees so I had to go back and take prereqs however I could, aka a mix of online and community college. My OAT scores were not what I wanted; I applied extremely late in the cycle and basically took the OAT with no practice when I did because it was the last date I could take it and still apply for NECO. I'm pretty sure being a tech at a medical-heavy optometry practice was my saving grace in applications.

I'm leaning strongly towards MCPHS over Salus, and I have to make my decision this weekend. Salus had been my first choice till I interviewed at MCPHS, but I just felt like MCPHS was a better fit for me. But ... so here's my quandary: I'm getting lectures from my father, who is an MD, telling me he strongly thinks it's a mistake for me to choose MCPHS, pretty much because Salus is much older and established. If y'all chose one over the other, what were your reasons? Thanks! And yay to class of 2021!

Any suggestions for Optometry schools to apply to without taking biochem? I have had Organic 1 and 2, not sure if Organic 2 will substitute for Biochem. Thanks!
Not sure about the others but you don't need it for PCO or SUNY

Date OptomCAS submitted: 03/15/2017
Date verified: 03/16/2017
OAT Scores: 300 overall, can't recall science specifically but let's just say not awesome
Major: Political Science/Women's Studies
GPA: 3.42
Extracurricular Activities: optometric technician
Schools applied: Salus, NECO, MCPHS, Western
Interviews extended/date: Salus, NECO, MCPHS, Western
Interviews accepted: Salus, NECO, WCPHS
Interviews declined: Western
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Salus (05/01), MCPHS (05/02), NECO (waitlist)

Hi all! My route to optometry school has been convoluted - I finished undergrad and grad school a while ago with non-science degrees so I had to go back and take prereqs however I could, aka a mix of online and community college. My OAT scores were not what I wanted; I applied extremely late in the cycle and basically took the OAT with no practice when I did because it was the last date I could take it and still apply for NECO. I'm pretty sure being a tech at a medical-heavy optometry practice was my saving grace in applications.

I'm leaning strongly towards MCPHS over Salus, and I have to make my decision this weekend. Salus had been my first choice till I interviewed at MCPHS, but I just felt like MCPHS was a better fit for me. But ... so here's my quandary: I'm getting lectures from my father, who is an MD, telling me he strongly thinks it's a mistake for me to choose MCPHS, pretty much because Salus is much older and established. If y'all chose one over the other, what were your reasons? Thanks! And yay to class of 2021!

Hey!! Congrats on your acceptance to schools. I think they are both good schools. Many people would agree with your father, because they are worried about the fact that its a new school, but if it were me, I would go somewhere I felt most comfortable with both living and learning to be a great eye care health provider. After all, you will be there for the next 4 years of your life. Just out of curiosity, what exactly drew you more to MCPHS rather than Salus?

Hey!! Congrats on your acceptance to schools. I think they are both good schools. Many people would agree with your father, because they are worried about the fact that its a new school, but if it were me, I would go somewhere I felt most comfortable with both living and learning to be a great eye care health provider. After all, you will be there for the next 4 years of your life. Just out of curiosity, what exactly drew you more to MCPHS rather than Salus?

Thanks for the reply! I am very interested n public health and the intersection of social justice and medicine, and MCPHS seems very committed to the same. I plan on applying to the dual OD/MPH program. When I interviewed, my interviewer turned out to be the coordinator for that program, so I felt like we really got to chat and make a connection.

Date OptomCAS submitted: SUNY (8/22), Western (8/22) still need to submit secondary, SCCO (9/14), Berkeley to come
Date verified: 8/24/16
OAT Scores: 340 AA, 340 TS
Major: Neurobiology, Physiology, & Behavior
GPA: Science 2.90, Post-Bacc Science 4.0 @ community college, Cumulative Overall 3.11
Extracurricular Activities: Did a small bit of research in undergrad. Lots of shadowing in private practices, multi-doctor practices, and hospital settings w/ special interest in low vision and pediatrics. Volunteered at a school for blind children. Volunteered at state prison mentoring inmates. Currently working as an optometric technician and an optician at a well-established and well-known practice. Been helping run a music school back home for 8+ years.
Schools applied: SUNY, Western, SCCO, Berkeley to come
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (8/24), SCCO (9/22), Western to come, Berkeley to come
Interviews accepted: SUNY (9/28), SCCO (11/5)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SUNY (9/29)

Hey all, not much of an active member here, but I feel really happy and thought I should share my profile in case anybody would like a little bit of help/hope in applying. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Having a weak GPA is definitely not something insurmountable. I was even on academic probation at some point! You can always prove you are a superstar in other ways :) get in those applications as soon as possible!
Wow this is very impressive.

Just scheduled it 5 minutes ago. It's scheduled for October 17th. I talked to the Director of Student Affairs and she said she was pleased to see my TS score go up. Yeah my GPA is a 3.1 (on the lower side) but had a very positive trend to my grades throughout undergrad. And thanks!
Is GPA on this post is Optomcas GPA with grade replacement.

GPA: 2.93 cumulative
alot
Schools applied: Western,IAUPR,ICO,KYCO,NOVA,PCO,SCCO,NECO
Interviews extended/date: PCO (9/27), NOVA (10/13),KYCO (11/1), IAUPR (11/22), Western (12/12)
Interviews accepted: PCO(10/28),NOVA(10/21),KYCO(12/2),IAUPR(2/17), Western(1/28)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
SCCO,NECO,ICO
Acceptance/date: KYCO(5/1),Western (4/7),PCO(standby list),IAUPR (2/28)

I'm confused as to why your interview with Western was in January but you didn't get your acceptance until April? I thought they usually make a decision within at least 3 weeks?

Hello! Was wondering if anyone was accepted to SCO off of the alternative list after class of 2021 filled up and people dropped their seats?